Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,243,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post

I dont really think so, 7/10 people whom grow up poor, usually stay poor. its the same for the wealthy but just because they lost their homes they get to stay at hotels?? Nah stick their asses in a shelter like they would do any other person. They was handing out money,work plus all kinds of beanifits to these people. which isnt fair. People lose their homes, jobs each day and have to live in the street or if they choose shelter but half these wealthy people whom lost their houses NOT JOBS move into nycha? how is it fair that they get to jump the gun ( figure of speak) ??
people whom lost there homes go to shelters when they have nothing not hotels.. thats why the lost all that funding money they had. they was giving out jobs $18 an hour to help clean and these good hotels. now they cant help those whom have not had insurance. ITS ALL STUPID TO ME! but i think they can wait a bit like everyone else not move and be placed in a month or less smh.

JUST CAUSE YOU GROW UP POOR DOESN'T MEAN YOU STAY POOR!!! That is some lame excuse. The world is yours, go take advantage of it and stop feeling like you have to stay poor and need to live in nycha.

PS Odds are those who are being places their due to sandy will not be full time lifers that will stay there. They simply need a place till they can get there housing situation taken care of. So I ask you, do you plan to be a lifer in Nycha or are using it as a stepping stone for several years to better yourself and get your life together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,935,378 times
Quote:

I dont really think so, 7/10 people whom grow up poor, usually stay poor. its the same for the wealthy but just because they lost their homes they get to stay at hotels?? Nah stick their asses in a shelter like they would do any other person. They was handing out money,work plus all kinds of beanifits to these people. which isnt fair. People lose their homes, jobs each day and have to live in the street or if they choose shelter but half these wealthy people whom lost their houses NOT JOBS move into nycha? how is it fair that they get to jump the gun ( figure of speak) ??
people whom lost there homes go to shelters when they have nothing not hotels.. thats why the lost all that funding money they had. they was giving out jobs $18 an hour to help clean and these good hotels. now they cant help those whom have not had insurance. ITS ALL STUPID TO ME! but i think they can wait a bit like everyone else not move and be placed in a month or less smh.
Perhaps they gained a good command of the English language, for starters, working hard along the way, and therefore were able to obtain a middle-class lifestyle. Or a working-class one, for that matter.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
JUST CAUSE YOU GROW UP POOR DOESN'T MEAN YOU STAY POOR!!! That is some lame excuse. The world is yours, go take advantage of it and stop feeling like you have to stay poor and need to live in nycha.
That would require thinking differently, an apparently insurmountable task.

It astonishes me that many of the "poor" under reference here have no idea how hard many people work.
This conviction that things just "happen." I see this attitude in many programs.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM

75 posts, read 311,449 times
Thumbs down Does anyone know anything bout outreach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
My interview was for brooklyn outreach. My interviewer was really nice and she too told me it could be up to 6 months,however idk. Im still just gonna leave it alone,continue posting with updates and hopefully me and my daughter can get the apt in the development i choose. Good luck too all of us and dream do.t forget to update us with your progress as well even if its months from now. Lol but i depend on these threads for my information and other peoples experience and progress.
I feel you Mzineednycha, Still in this next step shelter dying lol... only thing they supposedly doing is trying to get me supportive housing. but my hopes was to nycha but i am done. i am trying to find another way to get to nycha. it sucks when you got past the interview .. you are eligible and you can basicly taste that is there but being tease and not being able to get it or call Thinking about it everyday puts me in an emotional state and be knowing people in the projects and asking them questions doesnt help cause all of them was in their apt in 2weeks or less AFTER THE INTERVIEW but Mzineednycha we are being on held more because over 2,00 hurricane sandy victims is without homes ... idk if you or trini got any info or anyway for me to find out more info please let me know cuz i been sending alot of emails to bloomberg and it seems like no one is helping or knows about the outreach program all i am being told is to go to bk office and see

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Arrow My Reply to an Reply

Quote:

PS Odds are those who are being places their due to sandy will not be full time lifers that will stay there. They simply need a place till they can get there housing situation taken care of. So I ask you, do you plan to be a lifer in Nycha or are using it as a stepping stone for several years to better yourself and get your life together?
Everyone has different reasons for what they want and not everyone can afford to live a middle class life, but if ou know you cant than you cant oh well but thanks for the motivational speaking, you could have just been rude and came out of your mouth, but as i feel is why they are using nycha as a shelter when they can use a shelter or hotel as one if they are not staying long?? Nycha isnt short term and it is a home.... No basicly it is what you make of it lol.
When you live in an apt and you on that lease it isnt like just get kicked out if that family no longer wants to live there or dies and when you in a nycha development you have to qualify. and for you answer No everyone wants to move on, a house or what not but with my physical healthy i am not able to do much and Since i am young, trying to find an apt hasnt been very good to me either so i relay on Nycha a bit more and when you become eligible after your family has been through more than enough, you start to feel hope again.
I am not saying they should be homeless ( People of f.e.m.a) But how are they different from people who go through this everyday? their homes get burnt down due to someone else in their building, a flood, another hurricane, people kicked out nor have family... is there a difference and are they guaranteed nycha because of this?? NO! So why are they?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Perhaps they gained a good command of the English language, for starters, working hard along the way, and therefore were able to obtain a middle-class lifestyle. Or a working-class one, for that matter.
Okay thanks......

Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,243,334 times
Quote:
Everyone has different reasons for what they want and not everyone can afford to live a middle class life, but if ou know you cant than you cant oh well but thanks for the motivational speaking, you could have just been rude and came out of your mouth, but as i feel is why they are using nycha as a shelter when they can use a shelter or hotel as one if they are not staying long?? Nycha isnt short term and it is a home.... No basicly it is what you make of it lol.
When you live in an apt and you on that lease it isnt like just get kicked out if that family no longer wants to live there or dies and when you in a nycha development you have to qualify. and for you answer No everyone wants to move on, a house or what not but with my physical healthy i am not able to do much and Since i am young, trying to find an apt hasnt been very good to me either so i relay on Nycha a bit more and when you become eligible after your family has been through more than enough, you start to feel hope again.
I am not saying they should be homeless ( People of f.e.m.a) But how are they different from people who go through this everyday? their homes get burnt down due to someone else in their building, a flood, another hurricane, people kicked out nor have family... is there a difference and are they guaranteed nycha because of this?? NO! So why are they?
That is the issue people have made nycha NOT short term as it was set up to be.
It wasn't made for people to live there their whole lives for cheap. By people doing so it makes it difficult for people like you who are living in a shelter and don't have a home.
It was set up to help people out but people have accepted their lives there and then don't try to get out.
I have no issue with nycha helping people out giving them say 5 years to live as a low cost while the person living their strives to better themselves. Whether that meaning finding a job, a better job, going to school, learning a trade of what have you. It should be a place to live while you get things together. After several years people should be able to move on, leave apartment vacant for the next people coming in that need several years of help there.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That is the issue people have made nycha NOT short term as it was set up to be.
It wasn't made for people to live there their whole lives for cheap. By people doing so it makes it difficult for people like you who are living in a shelter and don't have a home.
It was set up to help people out but people have accepted their lives there and then don't try to get out.
I have no issue with nycha helping people out giving them say 5 years to live as a low cost while the person living their strives to better themselves. Whether that meaning finding a job, a better job, going to school, learning a trade of what have you. It should be a place to live while you get things together. After several years people should be able to move on, leave apartment vacant for the next people coming in that need several years of help there.

The problem is ...

I see a lot of working class people who are being priced out through no fault of their own. Given unchecked profiteering, their jobs are worth less for a spectrum of reasons. Moreover, there are people - teachers, police, fire fighters, social workers; perhaps especially teachers and social workers - whose jobs are vastly undervalued. I laugh at the stupidity of people who go on about "free markets" for that reason. While people in those professions make major contributions and perform essential work, investment banking, for example, which contributes little, really, and does harbor some true anti-socials, provides a much higher salary. I would call their salaries "artificially inflated." This is a preposterous reality.

The housing projects should be for such working, non-investment bank employed people. It should not be for people who cannot form a single declarative sentence in their constant stream of complaints, who have "stories," usually about the conspiracies against the poor, and so on. Spots in subsidized housing should be reserved for working people who did everything they were supposed to but who are disenfranchised for reasons beyond their control. They should also be New Yorkers. I have seen too many people move into the system here from upstate or wherever else. There should be a definitive residency requirement, just like there is for tuitions.

In short, NYCHA should not be for Lashreeka, who began the birth process at age 15 and who has never worked, and her five children (all of whom are named a variant of Tashontay or else "Brooklyn" - imagine), currently homeless because her Advantage benefit ran out. Unfortunately, such people are still placed there. A few live in the shelter in this area and they are working the system to get a place. People around here just want them out of the neighborhood so nobody says much. But why is NYCHA even an option for them ? They should be moved elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 67,637 times
Update: Im soooooo happpyyyyyyyyyyyy yes i got selected for an available apartment at harlem river house god is so good thank u god im finally exiting the shelter system with my son im happy thank u god patiently waiting and finally its here cant wait to sign the lease my whole process started in january 2012 when i applied interview march 9 2012 eligible october waitng list for harlem houses november 30 now its april 25,2013 available apartment soon move in cant wait....have faith yall its gonna come keep praying

Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM

22 posts, read 67,637 times
I dont plan on living in nycha houses forever this is a stepping stone especially for me and my son lord know its a struggle in newyork city with that stupid mayor bloomberg as a mayor and i do plan on leaving newyork state soon to provide better life for me and my son out of state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery