Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Harlem, if you keep making so much sense you're going to make me give out reputation for ridiculous things so I can give it to you again.
Yes Harlem I tried to Rep you again but couldn't either. I got you though Airborne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,941,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes Harlem I tried to Rep you again but couldn't either. I got you though Airborne.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM

19,075 posts, read 14,013,809 times
Quote:
I can't give it to you either! This sucks.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM

205 posts, read 978,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you don't want to pay crazy NYC rent like you just stated, then you should leave NYC. We shouldn't have to subsidize you staying here.
How could anyone who WORKS FOR THE CITY OF NY just pick up and LEAVE to move to another state just because they cant afford NYC rent. If someone works for the city making $19 an hour, why would they want to move to another state and end up making half of that pay at $9 an hour. I just think people who complain about nycha are just jealous and fed up they have to break their back working two jobs trying to pay rent. you cant put everyone that lives in nycha or applies to nycha in the same category. Everyone is different and has different reasons for applying to nycha

Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,456,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
As regards your insightful analysis of race and "emergency assistance." Right. How to explain this. Well, the storm victims had worked, planned, refrained when they could from exercising truly poor judgment, for example, deciding to have unprotected sex - which, as most know, can result in pregnancy. Translated into simple terms, pregnancy = baby = dependent. "Dependent" always mean that the person giving birth has financial responsibility. In any case. The storm was an actual emergency. People were victimized through no fault of their own.

That is a completely subjective analysis. You don't know that those people worked and planned. Maybe they inherited their wealth. Wealth in itself does not make a person more worthy of assistance. Neither does "planning." When you grow up impoverished there is subtle planning (e.g. how do I walk down the street without getting killed) that the wealthy do not need to plan for.

I know people don't like others who "live on the system" but living on the system sucks. It is the least bad option for people with no options. Obviously you can say, "if they didn't want to be dependent, they shouldn't have..." but the only true way to end that sentence is "been born poor and black."

Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM

75 posts, read 311,557 times
Quote:
That is the issue people have made nycha NOT short term as it was set up to be.
It wasn't made for people to live there their whole lives for cheap. By people doing so it makes it difficult for people like you who are living in a shelter and don't have a home.
It was set up to help people out but people have accepted their lives there and then don't try to get out.
I have no issue with nycha helping people out giving them say 5 years to live as a low cost while the person living their strives to better themselves. Whether that meaning finding a job, a better job, going to school, learning a trade of what have you. It should be a place to live while you get things together. After several years people should be able to move on, leave apartment vacant for the next people coming in that need several years of help there.
isnt shelters suppose to be the short term goal to seek a better placement?? why do people have to suffer in an an apartment they cant afford? Nycha is like a regular apt and i feel some people get mad just because they cant move in. Why? Your making more than that person living in that nycha building .... if they make the max income that nycha feels is to much for they family than they would have to move. People die old in apts each and everyday and it gets passed down.. whats the difference?? Welfare pays half or more than half for apt but is that fair?? Everyone is not the same. Some people need more help than others, some people try to better themselves and some people cant. Nycha is a home for some and not just a temp like a shelter because now days shelters are meant for you to stay 5months or less nd whos to say 5months is enough?? and im not trying to come at you.. this is for everyone,.. i just reply to you.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfrombklyn View Post
I dont plan on living in nycha houses forever this is a stepping stone especially for me and my son lord know its a struggle in newyork city with that stupid mayor bloomberg as a mayor and i do plan on leaving newyork state soon to provide better life for me and my son out of state
i am glad you see it. Congrads!! becuase many people here see nycha as being bad and i dont understand. If you have bad comments why even say them?? why read these post??

Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfrombklyn View Post
gurl i was in the next step shelter within a month i got myself outta of there into regular family shelter i called dhs went off on them i wish no one goes thru that speaking of supportive housing i just found eligible with supportive waiting for interview this week for an apartment and also got called for an apartment with nycha so im like stuck on which i should go for sighh just like u i gave up hopes on nycha and then it finally came thru once i became eligible for supportive housing in one week i thank god for this blessing lord know i been wanting to exit the shelter so bad
i feel you, i have been in the shelter for a while and i get no help from they looking for an apt or job when i was able to work. Now i have to many help conditions so i am looking into supportive housing which i dont want because of the people whom i heard lived there and nycha. People talk alot on here but dont know people situation. Nycha would be prefect for my family intill my health gets better and i can be able to work and school but nycha is better than supportive housing i believe. I was told you might have to still see an case manager and you pay 30 % of your income but you have to pay for the lights/gas etc...and i love the cold in the summer so i know it would kill me but right now its which everyone calls me first

Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Arrow i feel you girly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
As I read all the different posts, I always see you livingsinglenyc trying to put people that live in nycha down..like if we're taking something. I'm a city full time worker, a single mother and I applied to nycha because the rent was too high for me. When I finally got nycha I finally could afford things for me and my child. It's rather sad when the rent is extremely high and unfortunate when your job doesn't pay enough to cover all the utilities which not only consists of rent. Yes, there are many people that take advantage but what about the people that don't. You say give them a 5 year time limit and then move, but people don't want to pay that crazy rent in nyc. I know that's your opinion but you shouldn't attack all nycha people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
I was born and raised here and this is where I want to stay. I don't have to leave NYC....The rent should be according to income, and since it's not out there, then Thank God for NYCHA..

I dont know why you even try?? and some people understand what you mean. Why suffer and maybe having a cell phone or lights cut off and you can raise your child right and save up if you want to move?? They just mad because they make to much to move into nycha (Which doesnt make any sense). and even if they feel like your getting off OH WELL!! Let them take that up with the mayor. it isnt like everyone just gets in you have to go through all these list and background checks and if you make an dollar to much they cut you off and just because you live in nycha dont mean you dont pay taxes!!! It gives people a piece of minds as well, Why be cramped in an studio, one or two bedroom with your 3+ Kids?? WHY SHOULD YOU MOVE OUT OF NYC TO MAKE ENDS MEET?? WHOM EVER SAID THAT TO YOU IS STUPID!
Cus now you have to probably find another job because you in another town or pay for these expensive trains to get to or from work... not no anyone there and have to lose work trying to get your son into school, babysitter etc... and FUDGE it if you live there and you god forbid die when ya son 18+ He dont have to worry as much, he just go through the eligibility stage again and if he wasnt doing nothing.. just like welfare, they cut you off..trust me dont try to get ya point off on this site. Everyone feels different and most dont agree.. they think no matter what you lazy for living or trying to live there. They rather you in a shelter or your child on the street begging for food.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post
isnt shelters suppose to be the short term goal to seek a better placement?? why do people have to suffer in an an apartment they cant afford? Nycha is like a regular apt and i feel some people get mad just because they cant move in. Why? Your making more than that person living in that nycha building .... if they make the max income that nycha feels is to much for they family than they would have to move. People die old in apts each and everyday and it gets passed down.. whats the difference?? Welfare pays half or more than half for apt but is that fair?? Everyone is not the same. Some people need more help than others, some people try to better themselves and some people cant. Nycha is a home for some and not just a temp like a shelter because now days shelters are meant for you to stay 5months or less nd whos to say 5months is enough?? and im not trying to come at you.. this is for everyone,.. i just reply to you.
Please... I qualify for nycha, I could live there if I wished however I believe in working and taking care of myself. Guess we were just raised different and have different morals and values. To say one can not afford a decent life without nycha cause they don't make enough is an utter lie. I make 1/2 of what I could make and still get into Nycha. I provide everything for myself and get no hand outs and help from others and I live a pretty nice life. People make this city more expensive than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery