Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 01:16 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,876,489 times

Advertisements

I googled move out package and a ton of stuff came up, but yeah it seems to me as well that it's for people on assistance. I have never heard of such a thing until it was brought up today in this thread. I think they get their previous rental deposit from their old place sped up in order to use it for the new place.. i could be completely wrong on this though.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 PM

132 posts, read 178,758 times
Phew so maybe there is still HOPE for us that interviewed in October with no CB preference.
I can only pray that we did not just interview just to be put on a waiting list.

@Aquarius
DUUDEEE this also kinda verifies that you have nothing to worry about YAYYAYAY

Old 11-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Let's hope. I told myself I am NOT going to think about this until Monday. Of course I'm back in this thread again! I must be a masochist.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:12 PM

50 posts, read 79,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius37 View Post
let's hope. I told myself i am not going to think about this until monday. Of course i'm back in this thread again! I must be a masochist.
i believe we all are lol its ridiculous

Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 88,062 times
461 Dean: Tallest modular building in the world is now open | Inhabitat New York City

This link has videos and pictures of the completed building.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM

74 posts, read 93,568 times
Sorry for those who were determined not to look at this thread again during the holiday, but I may have some hope for some of you....

I had my appeal today (interview in Aug, CB Pref, Log #4,XXX) and provided some new financial info that wasn't relevant before -- I had been rejected for being over-income but they calculated it incorrectly. Anyway my intake person was super nice, friendly, assured me they would recalculate right away, because they "really want to move on these."

I was told they are in a hurry to move through the 461 leases because they just started another lottery (Carlton maybe? didn't ask). I was also told that 461 "still has some apartments to fill," which in context sounded like they MIGHT not have enough qualified people for this first round.

Also when I asked about a time frame -I said, "Is it going to be another 3 months til I hear anything?" - my intake person responded that they would be "extremely surprised" if it took that long. They kept emphasizing the need to get through the 461 leases very quickly.

So.... fingers crossed for everyone, even those who got waitlist notices this week! Hope this is some good news.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 12,613 times
I just got my "waiting list" letter and I'm livid. Why did they not let me know this sooner? I need to move by January, and have crazily been dealing with the "no news is good news" for two months. I've been holding onto false hope for me and my daughter this whole time.

I've lived in the neighborhood (exact same zip code of Dean St) for 21 years. I had to move from my old apartment which was right around the corner from Dean st. on Pacific when they tore my building down to build Barclays Center in 2005. I used to work at the bar that once was located at the very site of 461 Dean St. before it got torn down. But others are "more qualified" than I am the letter says? I only qualify for the wait list.

I'm just so disgusted, and so unhappy with how this has unfolded. If I had been interviewed for a "wait list" spot-and been told as much, I'd have been less angry, but I kept being told that my chances were good and that everything looked great. So much for hoping that karma will finally be fair. I can no longer afford my neighborhood after 21 years. My landlord is right here in my apartment as I write this (the quintessential slumlord) because all my electrical circuits blew during the storm last weekend and I haven't had heat or electricity since Saturday. That's four days with no light or heat in the freezing cold while he finally gets around to dealing with the problem on a Wednesday night before Thanksgiving at 8pm. And while he is trying to instruct the budget repair men (who speak no English and you can bet aren't certified electricians) to try to deal with the current situation, he is also telling them to "install granite counters" and new appliances when I end up moving out after over seven years of NO REPAIRS. So he can jack the rent up another 1000 for a place that is always below code and never passes inspection. Yet I had to tell him that Dean St was a possibility. He's never given me a rent receipt in my entire 8 years here of paying him rent. No. I had to get him to write a letter which let him know I wanted to move. And he just admonished me for calling 311 to report no lights and no heat. "That's not going to look good if you want to move" he said.

I'm so sick of this. I'm not even sorry for this rant. I can't believe this. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I have only partial electricity (they just figured out how to fix half of my apartment but I have to wait until friday to get the rest of the apartment up to speed) and no heat whatsoever. At least can plug in some space heaters but not in the bedroom where I need them because that is not where the electricity is now. At least kind friends will have me and my daughter over tomorrow (even though we haven't had hot water to shower with in days). I haven't even been able to go away because I've been waiting to get this all fixed. The heat and electrical repair people come on Friday to try to patch everything up with a quick, temporary fix. And if you think I'm going to be compensated in any way for no heat since October or electricity for days due to the infrastructural problems of the apartment, think again. This is hardly the first time this has happened. My landlord don't play that game. Letting him know I wanted to move was the final nail in my coffin here. He was ecstatic. He can get a lot more from some unsuspecting Ivy League grad for a while than have to deal with a single mom with a kid who insists on having heat when it goes out, and he'll end up getting a lot more rent than I've been paying from a new Ivy League grad too. Or their parents........

I've already been paying more than I can afford for a sub-standard apartment for years to stay in a neighborhood that I moved into in 1995 before anyone wanted to live here. My daughter grew up here, goes to school here, and this is the only home she's ever known. She has frequented all of the local playgrounds and businesses here since she was a baby. I have worked here for years but now I'm being "wait-listed" for Dean St. (at the very location I used to work that was torn down to build it) after holding onto the edge of my seat because they kept letting me think everything was on the up and up. But the part that gets to me the most is this letter saying that other applicants are "more qualified" and I want to know how? Why did they not just reject me outright if I'm so under qualified? How exactly are others more qualified? Did they have to give up their apartments so that Barclays Center could go up? And then get kicked out again for luxury apartments to go up on Bergen st. before I moved to my current apartment 8 years ago? The same address that the landlord wants to raise the rent to market rate even though all that means is slapping some paint on the walls and putting in a granite counter? And that's not to even mention the last 2 years where I've had to deal with non-stop construction right next door to my building so another luxury can go up and obscure all of my natural light, with non stop noise,rodents and workmen outside of my window 12 hours a day. Have the "more qualified" been paying taxes here since then? Have they been volunteering at schools and working in community gardens since then? Have they watched the whole place change and go from a neighborhood where nobody would even come to visit to being a neighborhood that is kicking me out with all of the same people who wouldn't come to visit before it was fashionable?

This IS worse than the election, because now not only is the country screwed, I am on the most personal level ever. A wait list is worse than a rejection. You can at least appeal a rejection. A waitlist is just the rejection without the appeal process really. If I don't stay angry, I'm just going to start crying.

Last edited by boerumhillbilly; 11-23-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,968 times
@boerumhillbilly

I'm so very sorry for all that you are dealing with right now. I've been in the same position w my last building and it was truly a nightmare. I feel for you. And I totally agree about the waitlist situation. I, too, was waitlisted even though I live in the neighborhood.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 PM

BHB so sorry.

quote:
I had to move from my old apartment which was right around the corner from Dean st. on Pacific when they tore my building down to build Barclays Center in 2005.

One would think people in that situation would be automatically given first shot at apartments being built. How disgusting and unfortunate, but not at all shocking with how the whole Pacific Park mega project has been going down the last few years. The deeper I read into it and the more broad I read the various articles written about it, the more it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Try and have a good Thanksgiving, good things can still come.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:49 PM

86 posts, read 104,494 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery