Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 AM

68 posts, read 120,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderblue View Post
I am summarizing what I got from someone who very recently won a lottery unit and moved in:

1. Move-ins can only occur on certain days, like: Mondays through Fridays from 8 AM - 5 PM
2. Only boxed items can be moved in on the weekend.
3. There's really no time window regarding moving in. Once you have your keys you can move stuff in little by little if need be.

Rules may vary depending on developments and how many units are affordable.
Thanks for the info - my main concern is if they'll allow you to select a move-in date as the move in process will likely take a few months. Preferably, I would like to move in at the end of my lease (in March 2019), but if not then I can definitely find a sub-leaser. I hope management will release some additional information such as floor plans soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 AM

15 posts, read 29,623 times
Hey y’all. So to continue off thunderblue, I think every lottery is different. I applied for another lottery after applying (and maybe interviewing, can’t remember) from Alvista, and interviewed June 12th, found out I was approved June 26th, signed lease June 27th, picked up keys July 2nd and currently moving in. This was obviously a very quick process, but this could be because the building was already built, so no need for Certificate of Occupancy, etc. in addition to a low amount of units available so maybe a smaller pool of applicants. I think it also helped that the realty company was well organized!

In regards to Alvista, I interviewed early March with a log of 38,XXX and qualified for studios and 1 bedrooms in 120, 130 and 165 AMIs. Like NiniCakes, I emailed Alvista about a refund of my money order and they did say they would refund it once the person who writes checks comes back from vacation (whenever that is) as my credit has YET to be pulled.

HOWEVER, I did drive past and parked in front of the building this past Tuesday and saw someone that looked to be a lobby attendant standing behind the lobby desk, as if he was working! I’ve read some google posts and people have stated that tenants have been moved into certain floors. So this could be true if there is a lobby attendant present in the building. From the looks of the front, sides and inside of the building it looks very complete. I did not view the back of the building though.

Hope this info helped in any way, and good luck to all!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM

883 posts, read 1,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamericangal21 View Post
Hey y’all. So to continue off thunderblue, I think every lottery is different. I applied for another lottery after applying (and maybe interviewing, can’t remember) from Alvista, and interviewed June 12th, found out I was approved June 26th, signed lease June 27th, picked up keys July 2nd and currently moving in. This was obviously a very quick process, but this could be because the building was already built, so no need for Certificate of Occupancy, etc. in addition to a low amount of units available so maybe a smaller pool of applicants. I think it also helped that the realty company was well organized!

In regards to Alvista, I interviewed early March with a log of 38,XXX and qualified for studios and 1 bedrooms in 120, 130 and 165 AMIs. Like NiniCakes, I emailed Alvista about a refund of my money order and they did say they would refund it once the person who writes checks comes back from vacation (whenever that is) as my credit has YET to be pulled.
Congratulations on your new apartment! I told you the other lottery would move faster, that's great news! I'm just about fully moved into my new pad, just waiting on a couple more deliveries of a rug and a dresser. I'm currently going through boxes of stuff I had in storage, most of which is going in the garbage! Lol

Still havent heard anything from Alvista regarding the refund smh if it ever comes, I'll be surprised to say the least! Congrats again!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 AM

158 posts, read 251,124 times
@jamericangal21 and @Ninicakes:

Correct me if I am wrong:

1. The other development interviewed you, ran your credit, and later gave you the keys after approval
2. Alvista interviewed you, didn't run your credit, and so far no update yet.

For the other development, please let us know your Log# range and how many total affordable units they were offering. I am just trying to guestimate if any hope is left for Alvista lol!

Last edited by thunderblue; 07-06-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 15,426 times
The process is so long. My husband and i are patiently waiting. However I fear the wait is to long. Is it even worth it?Jamaica is not even a safe neighborhood to begin with. We're planning on having kids and are the school system good? Idk anymore. They never ask for money order too. Now that I remember, she said they'll get back to me. I feel like too much time and energy is put into this. Don't want my hopes getting high. It so hard trying to get an apartment now of days. People are becoming more homeless than having a shelter of their own. Its so sad what this world has come too.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM

883 posts, read 1,370,041 times
Quote:

1. The other development interviewed you, ran your credit, and later gave you the keys after approval

For the other development, please let us know your Log# range and how many total affordable units they were offering. I am just trying to guestimate if any hope is left for Alvista lol!
For me that's absolutely correct. I emailed Alvista about getting my money order back since they have yet to run my credit and someone responded to say that I'd get my money back soon but offered no definitive date.

My log # was in the 3,XXX range for the other development. I'm not sure how many units were being offered but they did cap the applicants they selected at 7,500. 1/2 of whom got disqualified because they didnt have the right household composition or didnt meet the income requirements. The interviewers did tell me they had at least 100 units to fill so they were planning to have lotteries every 2 years until they are filled. I think there's still hope for Alvista, it's just gonna take some time so be patient and in the meantime apply to other lotteries you qualify for.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:24 PM

68 posts, read 120,627 times
Update ***

I stopped by Alvista Towers today as I was in the area looking at apartments.

The building is complete and the lobby is open - I went inside and spoke briefly to them. They informed me that the building is complete and 2 units have moved in. When there are people moving in - the building should be approved of all certifications. Hopefully more people from the lottery will start hearing back - the building looks amazing and gym looks awesome - better than most luxury buildings in NYC.

The empty lot next door - could be used for parking lot.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:28 AM

133 posts, read 180,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownKidInABigCity View Post
Update ***

The building is complete and the lobby is open - I went inside and spoke briefly to them. They informed me that the building is complete and 2 units have moved in. When there are people moving in - the building should be approved of all certifications. Hopefully more people from the lottery will start hearing back - the building looks amazing and gym looks awesome - better than most luxury buildings in NYC.

Hey did u get ur credit run yet

Old 07-09-2018, 07:28 AM

319 posts, read 400,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownKidInABigCity View Post
Update ***

damn, you got me hyped now
but the wait is killing me
i really doubt they'd have apartment for everyone

Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 AM

15 posts, read 29,623 times
Thanks @NiniCakes! Enjoy your new place

Quote:

1. Correct
2. Correct

I wasn't given a log number for my other development interestingly. I qualified for 3 units that were available. This was a very small lottery and a lottery in which was not found through the housing connect website. I found it through the NYC HDC website and had to request an application via email and send back via email. I never received a confirmation email that they received my application, so I had "moved on" from the lottery. However, I figure since the applying process is rather different than applying directly online, the volume of applicants was less. This is just pure speculation, but this just comes to show to apply to every lottery on the housing connect, mitchell lama, HDC website, etc., as you never know and don't exclude the lotteries that ask for applications via email or by mail only.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery