Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 14,088 times

Advertisements

I love that they won't even let you see the apartment till they are ready for you to sign the lease! #onlyinnewyork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 15,447 times
Sorry I meant HUD compliance. I gave up on this property. The neighborhood is not great first off. Also if you have kids the school system rating isn't great either. The only thing they are using upon is transportation. Hmm maybe in the next 5 years or so.. But no thank you. Around the building is not safe. And don't talk about the crime rates near the neighborhood. Again no thank you.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM

NYC Hud compliance or go on HUD.gov

Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,921,504 times
Jamaica Queens has come a long way since the 70's crime laden era. It was a **** whole back then but not today.
This building will be right at the hub of transportation to and from the city and Long Island. Major Shopping and most if not all amenities within walking distance. Hospital is minutes away. Definitely no car needed to live around here and the rentals on the lower income brackets asked are at 1990's prices. It would be utterly foolish to turn a blind eye to such an offer. Let's just hope that just like any other tenament situation future neighbors show respect to one another.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM

158 posts, read 251,444 times
Agree with Mr.Retired. The neighborhood is changing for the better. But it still has a long way to go. The area is not very safe after like 9 pm. Street parking can be very challenging. Also, the schools are not that great. The city, however, built a new school PS IS 314Q on 164 Hillside Avenue which is not far from the Towers.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:35 PM

158 posts, read 251,444 times
https://ny.curbed.com/maps/jamaica-q...uction-map-nyc

Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 PM

17 posts, read 24,279 times
Yup, I'm conflicted on paying rent at 165% aim in Jamaica Queens. I was really hoping to score a unit at 120% or 135. It would have been so much worthwhile. The commute, the neighborhood, etc. I really just want to see the apartment, then I can make a final decision.
I received a rental report back in April from alvista. I thought that was part of my credit check. Maybe not, either way I have excellent credit, am just not sold on paying that much to live in Jamaica. I hope if and when i see the unit in person, it's love at first sight. Otherwise its a no for me and I may loss my place in line!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:03 PM

47 posts, read 69,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolie1806 View Post
Yup, I'm conflicted on paying rent at 165% aim in Jamaica Queens. I was really hoping to score a unit at 120% or 135. It would have been so much worthwhile. The commute, the neighborhood, etc. I really just want to see the apartment, then I can make a final decision.
I received a rental report back in April from alvista. I thought that was part of my credit check. Maybe not, either way I have excellent credit, am just not sold on paying that much to live in Jamaica. I hope if and when i see the unit in person, it's love at first sight. Otherwise its a no for me and I may loss my place in line!
To jump from 120%AMI to 165% is pretty steep. You’re talking hundreds of dollars. I understand you turning it down. You are one of the candidates they processed early on so the possibility of you qualifying under your AMI is good. Allegedly, They don’t send people to on-site unless they have a spot for you so don’t lose hope. The amount of candidates as the AMI increases lessens as well. Don’t be so caught up on your log number. Someone with a lower log number has no bearing on you unless they are competing in your AMI. So keep the faith. It’s just a waiting game at this point. They are sending people to be approved by the city so the process should pick up soon.

Check out the website Alvista Towers . It has apartment pics now. Good luck in making your final decision.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 AM

30 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolie1806 View Post
Honestly I feel very conflicted about the 165% AMI for Jamaica as well. Since I qualified for 120% i was hoping the highest it would be would be 130%. I'm hoping like you, I go in and fall in love with it, but otherwise I won't accept.

They told me I would hear from a leasing administrator to get my application complete for the city--have you heard from that person yet? They move very slow. I'm just concerned because I received a raise since then and they told me at the interview that they would go by your income based on the day of your interview, but if they're only verifying the application now, clearly that's not true? If anyone knows more about this, please let me know!

Old 07-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Yes, like I said prior to my post. I'm not sticking around for the next 5 years. People, please dont be gullible. 165% AmI in Jamaica queens??? Stop it. Might as well i go rent out and apartment in Williamsburg or park slope or Astoria queens. Where the transportation will be much more faster number 1. And the average rent is $2000-2500. School system is better by far. So please do your research. Jamaica queens crime rate is a little rocky. School system rating is below average.1700 for a studio? After 9pm neighborhood is not safe? Come on its not safe regardless. I work rotating shifts and I would like to walk home after 9pm feeling safe. Around the building is a dessert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery