Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 35,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky117 View Post
Hi! Sadly nothing yet. However, it makes me feel slightly better that we both have not heard back, that makes me think it’s an issue on their end and not with our individual applications. I plan on calling back later this week as it has been a month at this point. Really trying to stay hopeful. Please let me know if anything changes or you hear anything. Are you planning to call earlier than me? If so let me know what they say please.

Also, has anyone had this experience of HPD approval taking longer than the mentioned 2 weeks? If so how did it turn out? Any help would be nice lol

Thanks all.

So I got called Feb 2018 for the unit I am currently in and was approved by around April 2018. But HPD was having some sort of major hold up issue with basically all projects (I still don't know exactly what happened). It dragged on through the summer and I did not end up getting approved by HPD until about August and then moved in October due to construction. This was apparently very unusual as HPD usually takes no more than 10 days, but I guess that's to say nothing in this process is guaranteed and things can always come up that make it drag. I hope whatever the delay is with HPD it gets resolved soon, as it will most likely hold up all log #s until it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 01:47 PM

41 posts, read 43,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingonaprayerinnyc View Post
So I got called Feb 2018 for the unit I am currently in and was approved by around April 2018. But HPD was having some sort of major hold up issue with basically all projects (I still don't know exactly what happened). It dragged on through the summer and I did not end up getting approved by HPD until about August and then moved in October due to construction. This was apparently very unusual as HPD usually takes no more than 10 days, but I guess that's to say nothing in this process is guaranteed and things can always come up that make it drag. I hope whatever the delay is with HPD it gets resolved soon, as it will most likely hold up all log #s until it does.
Hi! Thanks for this. Really helpful and it makes us hopeful! Just wondering what you meant when you said you were approved by around April 2018 - as in HPD approved you already or the marketing agency? :O

Old 03-17-2023, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 7,342 times
Quote:

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience, it does offer some hope to us going through something similar. I have the same question as above about the approval. Also, another question did you have to submit updated docs within that period? I could anticipate that taking some time as well or did they just eventually approve based on what was sent in the initial file to HPD? Glad it all worked out for you and thanks again for sharing.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky117 View Post
Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience, it does offer some hope to us going through something similar. I have the same question as above about the approval. Also, another question did you have to submit updated docs within that period? I could anticipate that taking some time as well or did they just eventually approve based on what was sent in the initial file to HPD? Glad it all worked out for you and thanks again for sharing.
So I was approved by marketing agency around April 2018 and was waiting for HPD approval but all HPD approvals for all buildings had stalled. In my experience and what I've been told, marketing is the hardest approval to go through and basically if it's being sent to HPD, it very rarely gets denied if marketing already approved it (the only time this really happens is if there is an income change, change in household, or something like that).

In my case, yes, I had to resubmit all my most up to date documents as it dragged on b/c it had already passed 120 days from my original submission (that's how long from your original documents collected you have before they ask for more recent stuff). And to clarify, this is for the affordable building I am currently in, not 601 w 29th st.

In your cases, if HPD drags with getting it approved and/or you can't move in because of construction and 120 days pass from when you first submitted documents, be ready for them to ask for all your recent stuff again (6 paychecks, recent statements, etc.).

My friend was up for another building, got approved by HPD and was waiting for construction to finish. Then she booked a job that disqualified her when they finally called her. So they can literally pull it from you up until the moment you sign the lease. Very stressful lol But hopefully HPD starts moving along soon. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2023, 12:00 PM

16 posts, read 21,389 times
Quote:
So I was approved by marketing agency around April 2018 and was waiting for HPD approval but all HPD approvals for all buildings had stalled. In my experience and what I've been told, marketing is the hardest approval to go through and basically if it's being sent to HPD, it very rarely gets denied if marketing already approved it (the only time this really happens is if there is an income change, change in household, or something like that).

In my case, yes, I had to resubmit all my most up to date documents as it dragged on b/c it had already passed 120 days from my original submission (that's how long from your original documents collected you have before they ask for more recent stuff). And to clarify, this is for the affordable building I am currently in, not 601 w 29th st.

In your cases, if HPD drags with getting it approved and/or you can't move in because of construction and 120 days pass from when you first submitted documents, be ready for them to ask for all your recent stuff again (6 paychecks, recent statements, etc.).

My friend was up for another building, got approved by HPD and was waiting for construction to finish. Then she booked a job that disqualified her when they finally called her. So they can literally pull it from you up until the moment you sign the lease. Very stressful lol But hopefully HPD starts moving along soon. Good luck!
Appreciate the insight. What if you signed the lease already say ahead of time for a lease starting over 120 days later? Can they still pull it?

Old 03-17-2023, 12:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,648,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muro119 View Post
Appreciate the insight. What if you signed the lease already say ahead of time for a lease starting over 120 days later? Can they still pull it?
If you have a signed lease you should review the lease to review what it might say about such a set of circumstances.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
If you have a signed lease you should review the lease to review what it might say about such a set of circumstances.

Yup, I agree. Check the lease just to see if it has any sort of special rider about it, but in general once you sign the lease they can't take it away. This building is the first building I've heard of that let people sign leases before they moved in so it's sort of uncharted territory for me.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:52 PM

viewed a 1bedroom, was a little small in my opinion, wasn't like any of the available units on their site or past rentals. pool isn't finished yet and they dont know how access will work yet.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:10 PM

250 posts, read 250,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muro119 View Post
viewed a 1bedroom, was a little small in my opinion, wasn't like any of the available units on their site or past rentals. pool isn't finished yet and they dont know how access will work yet.
What do you mean that they don’t know how access will work yet? Did they clarify on that

Old 03-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispynyc View Post
What do you mean that they don’t know how access will work yet? Did they clarify on that
because i asked how will they control the usage, given the amount of residents if near full occupancy and how small the pool is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery