Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Hi! Does anyone have an idea when non CB / no preferences will be contacted? I am 1XX 100% AMI, but no news yet. Do you think I have good odds with that low of a log number but without preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 01:08 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay82 View Post
Hi! Does anyone have an idea when non CB / no preferences will be contacted? I am 1XX 100% AMI, but no news yet. Do you think I have good odds with that low of a log number but without preference?
You have a good chance. Hang in there. If we had more info we could estimate your chances better. We don’t know how many of the units that you qualify for have been taken already.

Sorry, I don’t know when the preferences allotment will be filled. There is not necessarily a huge incentive to make the process move fast.

If you are a one person household at 100% AMI you qualify for 8 Studios, and 31 one-bedrooms. If you are a 2 person household you also qualify for the 8 two-bedrooms if household income is $84K minimum.

So 39 units total or 47 units (with 2 beds) total against you 1xx log#. I will assume you have log# 199, the worst case. So you need to beat out no more than 198 log# without a preference, plus how many log#s with preferences. But after the 50% quota of CB preferences is filled you don’t worry about that anymore. (We will ignore the other preferences because they are small, and it’s too much to think about.)

To make it simple to think about, let’s pretend there are no preferences for a minute. So, you just have to beat no more than 198 log#s. Well, the good news is some of those 198 log# are not competing against you because they are either 40% AMI or 60% AMI and those categories don’t overlap 100% AMI. Also, households with 4 or 5 people ONLY qualify for a two-bedroom so those log#s can’t take a studio or one-bedroom away from you. Get it?

Also, just because someone has a lower Log# than your 1xx and is also 100% AMI does not mean they will accept a unit. We don’t know how interested they are in moving to W29th St. Some log#s might be rejected or might not like the building, location, the unit. Some log# might fail to follow through on the process.

These nice apts in a nice building seem on the small size. The small size could cause people to reject them. You might reject them as too small.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 8,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay82 View Post
I’m just after you (7xx - 100% AMI) and also waiting anxiously. No way to know, but some others have made what I think is a reasonable assumption - they’re about 1/2 way through CB log numbers now which took about 6 months. I also believe the remaining top half of the building is supposed to open for occupancy in June if I’m not mistaken which may accelerate their progress a bit.

I’m in the headspace that as low log non-CB numbers, we’ll be called in about 6 months - October or November timeframe. But again, I really don’t know, that’s just my best prediction with very limited information.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:57 PM

17 posts, read 19,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barely_here View Post
Hi everyone!
I got a notification from housing connect requesting documents. I have CB # 10,xxx
Finally some movement! Thanks for letting us know and good luck!

Old 05-05-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
You have a good chance. Hang in there. If we had more info we could estimate your chances better. We don’t know how many of the units that you qualify for have been taken already.

Sorry, I don’t know when the preferences allotment will be filled. There is not necessarily a huge incentive to make the process move fast.

If you are a one person household at 100% AMI you qualify for 8 Studios, and 31 one-bedrooms. If you are a 2 person household you also qualify for the 8 two-bedrooms if household income is $84K minimum.

So 39 units total or 47 units (with 2 beds) total against you 1xx log#. I will assume you have log# 199, the worst case. So you need to beat out no more than 198 log# without a preference, plus how many log#s with preferences. But after the 50% quota of CB preferences is filled you don’t worry about that anymore. (We will ignore the other preferences because they are small, and it’s too much to think about.)

To make it simple to think about, let’s pretend there are no preferences for a minute. So, you just have to beat no more than 198 log#s. Well, the good news is some of those 198 log# are not competing against you because they are either 40% AMI or 60% AMI and those categories don’t overlap 100% AMI. Also, households with 4 or 5 people ONLY qualify for a two-bedroom so those log#s can’t take a studio or one-bedroom away from you. Get it?

Also, just because someone has a lower Log# than your 1xx and is also 100% AMI does not mean they will accept a unit. We don’t know how interested they are in moving to W29th St. Some log#s might be rejected or might not like the building, location, the unit. Some log# might fail to follow through on the process.

These nice apts in a nice building seem on the small size. The small size could cause people to reject them. You might reject them as too small.
Thank you!! This is super helpful. The good news is I'm a one-person household + in the lower 100's log number. So seems like I have a good shot, I think the hardest thing is the timing.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetethan View Post
I’m just after you (7xx - 100% AMI) and also waiting anxiously. No way to know, but some others have made what I think is a reasonable assumption - they’re about 1/2 way through CB log numbers now which took about 6 months. I also believe the remaining top half of the building is supposed to open for occupancy in June if I’m not mistaken which may accelerate their progress a bit.

I’m in the headspace that as low log non-CB numbers, we’ll be called in about 6 months - October or November timeframe. But again, I really don’t know, that’s just my best prediction with very limited information.
Oof, another 6 months is rough. Probably accurate though, they are moving very slow. Fingers crossed it's sooner!

Old 05-05-2023, 06:57 PM

250 posts, read 221,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetethan View Post

That’s what I was thinking too I have log #1xxx and I was thinking December but they are really moving slowly saw someone with log#10xxx just posted so hopefully they are moving a bit faster this round.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:33 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denellis View Post
That’s what I was thinking too I have log #1xxx and I was thinking December but they are really moving slowly saw someone with log#10xxx just posted so hopefully they are moving a bit faster this round.
Just general speculation. If all other things being equal, it’s simpler and can be faster to process log#s once all the preference allotments have been filled and are out of the way. It’s just fewer boxes and documents to check. They can just go by remaining log# in numerical order subject to AMI% and Household Size only.

Of course, other priorities and circumstances beyond the lottery might slow things down. One example would be they are very busy with posible market rate tenants. If it were me, I’d put down a lottery file to help a market rate prospect and take time to ‘sell’ the building with all the bells and whistles to them.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:26 PM

105 posts, read 88,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Just general speculation. If all other things being equal, it’s simpler and can be faster to process log#s once all the preference allotments have been filled and are out of the way. It’s just fewer boxes and documents to check. They can just go by remaining log# in numerical order subject to AMI% and Household Size only.

Of course, other priorities and circumstances beyond the lottery might slow things down. One example would be they are very busy with posible market rate tenants. If it were me, I’d put down a lottery file to help a market rate prospect and take time to ‘sell’ the building with all the bells and whistles to them.
The difference is that the same people are not doing the market rate tenants so there’s no overlap or correlation.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:33 PM

59 posts, read 64,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barely_here View Post
Hi everyone!
I got a notification from housing connect requesting documents. I have CB # 10,xxx
Congratulations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery