Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,503 times

Advertisements

I'm log# 75xx, CB - I got contacted on 4/17 to submit my docs for a 1BR 60% Ami - I'm really nervous - I requested to bring in my documents in person, and I did - I had my meeting with my agent, but it never changed status on HC - and my agent has all of my documents. I haven't been asked to view any apartments yet - all she has said is "this is a process, so I have to be patient". SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME ITS GOING TO BE OK!

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...tments-93.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 07:42 AM

44 posts, read 44,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smezzacappa View Post
I'm log# 75xx, CB - I got contacted on 4/17 to submit my docs for a 1BR 60% Ami - I'm really nervous - I requested to bring in my documents in person, and I did - I had my meeting with my agent, but it never changed status on HC - and my agent has all of my documents. I haven't been asked to view any apartments yet - all she has said is "this is a process, so I have to be patient". SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME ITS GOING TO BE OK!

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...tments-93.html
it will be fine! im 76xx CB and got called the same day. they said we should hear from them this week or next. things have been moving along again so we should start to see more movement among people in our batch, plus they just pulled another one after us too which means there are plenty of units left. it will take time, but youve been called so thats half the battle! congrats!

Old 05-09-2023, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 4,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqa5164 View Post
it will be fine! im 76xx CB and got called the same day. they said we should hear from them this week or next. things have been moving along again so we should start to see more movement among people in our batch, plus they just pulled another one after us too which means there are plenty of units left. it will take time, but youve been called so thats half the battle! congrats!

My agent never gave me a time frame of when I would hear from them, so thank you for putting my mind at ease.

I feel like I was having a panic attack every day needing to send in additional documents.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:26 AM

136 posts, read 116,061 times
This process is so nerve wracking, it causes so much anxiety in people. The one thing i learned is put in what they ask for and continue with your life. They will or will not contact you at their leisure it is a waiting game. Good luck to all of you. Hopefully you will hear soon with happy news.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:45 AM

30 posts, read 31,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean.nyc View Post
Honestly, the stabilized rent is also really such a big factor in getting this space even though it's a bit smaller than what I have currently.

Security deposit is 1 month's rent.

Do you know if after signing a one or two year lease, we'll need to be reevaluated to qualify for what we have? Or not anymore? Worried about staying in the income bracket requirements, if I ever get a promotion.
Im in a rent stabalized apt now... They do not go by your income once you are in. For example me.. I have been at my place now since 2010, Gross was 30,000... got an apt for 650/mth.....even though i got raises and bonuses, my rent only went up 3-5% per lease re-newal.
13yrs later, got a way paying job, and i'm paying about 300 more than I have when I started. So it doesn't really go up.
They do recertification every year (even if you sign a 2yr lease) to make sure you have income coming in. Have a job ETC...
God forbid though if you loose your job you will have to figure out how to pay that rent as they will not bring the rent down because of that (or freeze it) I've been there when I was out of work for 6months due to an accident, luckily I had friends and family helping me with paying rent.

The reason I am looking for a new apt (i know this will come up) is because these buildings only have a 20year tax abatement contract with the city, so after those 20years if i am still in the building, my rent will go up to market rent if the property managing office wants to set it at that. I am not a senior citizen yet so I will not be able to apply for SCRIE (which takes cares of seniors and rental payments I think, have to look into that more).

Old 05-09-2023, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 31,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNYC View Post
Thank you all! Still waiting to hear back on lease signing, but I’ve officially been approved and accepted the unit through HC.

… also the HC notification listed my unit as 581 sq ft. There’s no way, unless its all in the bathroom and closet Lol
I think they add the bathroom and kitchen areas for the total square footage. Because the math did not math when I added my square footage to what they told me lol

Old 05-09-2023, 10:17 AM

48 posts, read 44,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNYC View Post
Yes, a good bit of work still needs to be done. Estimated move in is at least 2 months, but they advised that if 80% of the floor is done, that’s when they begin allowing people to move in.

Thank you! You’re next!!!

That’s exactly my sentiment! If it makes you feel better though, I went to view one more time today, but took measurements and it seemed way bigger once I was able to see how my current things would fit. My sofa is pretty large (94x46) and it fit perfectly in that nook to the right of the kitchen… with room to spare. My bed however, there was very little clearance from both that corner by the window and the closet door, but its do-able! No room for a dining table/area… have to get creative there.

For accepting, they said I have until the end of this week… preferably tomorrow to advise. I just sent my docs over now to accept. It was never an accept/reject situation though… they more phrased it as let me know which unit you select and we can move forward. My agent is very nice though… nothing (fingers crossed) like a lot of horror stories I’ve read. This whole time my status on HC has been “Under Review”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala land View Post
Im in a rent stabalized apt now... They do not go by your income once you are in. For example me.. I have been at my place now since 2010, Gross was 30,000... got an apt for 650/mth.....even though i got raises and bonuses, my rent only went up 3-5% per lease re-newal.
13yrs later, got a way paying job, and i'm paying about 300 more than I have when I started. So it doesn't really go up.
They do recertification every year (even if you sign a 2yr lease) to make sure you have income coming in. Have a job ETC...
God forbid though if you loose your job you will have to figure out how to pay that rent as they will not bring the rent down because of that (or freeze it) I've been there when I was out of work for 6months due to an accident, luckily I had friends and family helping me with paying rent.

The reason I am looking for a new apt (i know this will come up) is because these buildings only have a 20year tax abatement contract with the city, so after those 20years if i am still in the building, my rent will go up to market rent if the property managing office wants to set it at that. I am not a senior citizen yet so I will not be able to apply for SCRIE (which takes cares of seniors and rental payments I think, have to look into that more).
If you get the apartment while your child is in university, will your rent be increased significantly if your child, who has recently graduated from university, starts working and earns more than you?

Old 05-09-2023, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 88,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebeauty View Post
If you get the apartment while your child is in university, will your rent be increased significantly if your child, who has recently graduated from university, starts working and earns more than you?
No.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:54 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala land View Post

I don't think it works like that. Once the building's tax benefits end your unit would go to MR *if* you moved out and they were re-renting it. I don't think they can jack up your rent, aside from RGB increases, as long as you (or a lawful successor) lives there.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:29 PM

41 posts, read 43,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispynyc View Post
Yes I have!

No, you do not need to submit a COI for products from Amazon. You only need a COI if you hired someone from Amazon to bring it into your door and assemble it.

I just purchased a large tv stand from Amazon and they just leave the packages in the mail room. Then, the mailroom provides you with a cart similar to the ones that hotels give you to put your luggage. You can take the regular elevator with it.

If by chance it’s too big, you’ll just have to reserve the service elevator
Thank you for this! Super helpful information since I'm also planning ahead for deliveries. They won't give us the keys until move-in date May I ask what moving services you used? And where you got a renter's insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery