Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 03:45 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times

Advertisements

Plus, some apartments have been relisted, meaning that the people didn't qualify or changed their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 02:23 PM

133 posts, read 85,288 times
I just got a call from the ‘Affordable Housing’ team to let me know, as a courtesy, that I didn’t qualify for 2 Oval because I didn’t sent the long form application. It’s my third application so I think I know how to complete that form. And I definitely did it in time.

The lottery is so poorly organized. Unfortunately, I think it’s by design. So frustrating.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:15 PM

What??? Do you have any proof that you sent it? Was it an email?

Old 05-22-2023, 09:41 AM

In my experience regarding the completion of the so-called long-form, I noticed that no emails were sent as confirmation after filling it out. With my first two applications, I took a screenshot of the success page, and both time I got a message like to the one here https://imgur.com/a/OEfBTpb. However, for this third apartment, I didn't capture it.

The team mentioned that I should have received a form ID upon completion. However, it's clear to me that there is no ID or any kind of confirmation number provided after submitting the data. So, it's something important to keep in mind. Even if you invest your time in monitoring the available apartments and feel hopeful, there's no guarantee that you'll be among the three people they consider offering the apartment to. It can be quite frustrating, to say the least.
Hang in there!

Old 05-22-2023, 09:56 AM

Wow, this seems like a lousy system! No accountability. Did you tell the ST people that you have never received an ID or confirmation number?

Old 05-22-2023, 10:14 AM

171 posts, read 182,950 times
That doesn't seem right, especially since they have your long form from the other two apartments you applied for.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:17 AM

171 posts, read 182,950 times
Honestly I'm shocked anyone thought this system is appropriate, it's insane people have to go through this on a daily basis to apply.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:26 AM

I agree, Chloe, but from ST's point of view, they have to deal with only three applicants at a time, instead of managing thousands. From the very beginning of these lotteries, it was pretty apparent that ST wanted to do things the quickest and easiest way possible—for them. And that mindset has caused problems in the past.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I mentioned that I know about the success page, but it doesn't have a specific ID or code. The lottery contact person is a sweet older person, but our conversation was a bit awkward. I figured it was easier to just say "Thanks, I'll make sure to take screenshots from now on."

Old 05-23-2023, 06:16 AM

I actually think that someone should complain to HPD or HDC about this lottery. In addition to being stressful (which the agency won't care about), I believe it is discriminatory (which I hope it does care about).

The way this lottery is set up is that it is biased against those who cannot spend three hours a day continuously refreshing the site. So that includes anyone working or commuting during those hours. It would also discriminate against parents busy taking care of small children, etc. You could argue that it prevents working-class people from applying.

I think anyone who has missed out on any of these units, either through not seeing them at all, or not seeing them in time to apply, should file a complain. Enlist your local city councilperson also, if he or she is known to be an effective advocate. Current residents of Stuy Town should contact Keith Powers. He has been very active in housing in the community.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 05-23-2023 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery