Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 08:11 AM

282 posts, read 279,069 times

Advertisements

I didnt see anything today either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 09:15 AM

22 posts, read 14,124 times
I got an offer for the 449 east 14th st OMH apt, does anyone know if I could see the apt prior to signing the lease? the rent is relatively high compare to the rent stabilized apartment I’m currently living in Roosevelt island, but the location is perfect, for my kids school and our work location. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited by Carbeara; 08-23-2023 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-23-2023, 09:31 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbeara View Post
I got an offer for the 449 east 14th st OMH apt, does anyone know if I could see the apt prior to signing the lease? the rent is relatively high compare to the rent stabilized apartment I’m currently living in Roosevelt island, but the location is perfect, for my kids school and our work location. Any advisement?
Congrats on the apartment! I don't know if you will be able to see it or not before signing the lease. By all means, ask.

That's a very nice location. Despite the address, you will not be on 14th Street directly, but rather set back inside the complex. You will be right near the adult fitness "playground," which is very quiet. Trader Joe's and Target will be a short walk away.

Since your apartment is MH, you will either be on the ground floor or one story up. Did your listing have a 3D tour? If so, you can see how high up you are by "looking" out the windows. If you didn't get a 3D tour, ask for a floor plan of the building with your apartment circled. That way you can tell how high up you are. I can help you with that.

Plus, looking back at the listing, this one has the extra walls that set off the living room as a sleeping area. Do you need three bedrooms? If not, I don't know if management will take the extra walls down.

Very important: Ask if the apartment is rent stabilized, and for how long. Plus, when you sign the lease, make sure it has a rent stabilized rider.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:32 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Didn't they have the 3d virtual tour? Those are generally pretty accurate. I bet macnyc can tell you whether it faces onto the street or into the complex if you can't tell from the tour.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:36 AM

For this one, there was no 3D tour. Just the floor plan of the apartment.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Nothing today! Did anyone else see something?
Quote:
Congrats on the apartment! I don't know if you will be able to see it or not before signing the lease. By all means, ask.

That's a very nice location. Despite the address, you will not be on 14th Street directly, but rather set back inside the complex. You will be right near the adult fitness "playground," which is very quiet. Trader Joe's and Target will be a short walk away.

Since your apartment is MH, you will either be on the ground floor or one story up. Did your listing have a 3D tour? If so, you can see how high up you are by "looking" out the windows. If you didn't get a 3D tour, ask for a floor plan of the building with your apartment circled. That way you can tell how high up you are. I can help you with that.

Very important: Ask if the apartment is rent stabilized, and for how long. Plus, when you sign the lease, make sure it has a rent stabilized rider.
Thank you macnyc. I just read through the email again, tour is not available since most of apt are still under renovations. They only sent me a floor plan.
I spoke to Thomas weeks ago about the rent stablizes, he said the town is managed by the city so it will be decided by the city. The monthly rent is $4500 sth plus $99 surcharge, which is $1500 more than where I’m living now but its only 2 bedroom( true bedroom)
We still debating but if I turn down this offer, will I able to apply for othet apt listed in 2023 lottery? I am in 2021 lottery waitlist too but my log number is like 16xxx.. gonna take forever

Old 08-23-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Didn't they have the 3d virtual tour? Those are generally pretty accurate. I bet macnyc can tell you whether it faces onto the street or into the complex if you can't tell from the tour.
They only have the floor plan, no 3D tour

Old 08-23-2023, 10:47 AM

I don't know what happens if you turn down this offer. You need to ask Thomas or someone else.

The rules say that you can apply for as many apartments as you like, but I don't know what happens if you turn one down.

Also, you don't need a 3D tour. You just need a floor plan of the building with your apartment circled on it. That's what past lottery winners received.

From that, I can help you figure out if you're on the ground floor or not.

Are you wanting something cheaper? Or does the possible ground floor bother you?

Old 08-23-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know what happens if you turn down this offer. You need to ask Thomas or someone else.

The rules say that you can apply for as many apartments as you like, but I don't know what happens if you turn one down.

Also, you don't need a 3D tour. You just need a floor plan of the building with your apartment circled on it. That's what past lottery winners received.

From that, I can help you figure out if you're on the ground floor or not.

Are you wanting something cheaper? Or does the possible ground floor bother you?
I just spoke to Mr Johnson, the personal who handle the lease signing. So basically even we accept/ turn down this offer I can still apply for another one from the lottery if there’s one.
But then the home tour will not be available before I sign the lease since the apt still under renovation, most likely will be after we sign the lease. He cannot give me the building floor plan but saying I could look it up online. The apt number is 0MH but it’s actually on 2nd floor.
When I asked about the rent stabilization, he said he didnot see any lawsuit against it so far so it will still be.
I really love the location and community.. but yeah, the price is the main factor that bothers me.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
Hi what was the reason given that disqualified you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs2 View Post
I'd like to share my 2023 lottery progress. Based on my count, I'm probably one of the first 10-20 people to receive an offer in this lottery.

Week 1 (June) - Apply on lottery site. A few minutes later, an email from Beam with a link to submit an application. 24 hours later, an email saying I'm the first on the list! Another 24 hours pass, an email requesting documents.

Week 2 - The first contact from my marketing rep occured a few days after submitting the documentation. It seems he does a broad overview of what's in the application to see if there's any missing documentation or obvious disqualifiers.

Weeks 3-5 - Silence. Occasional calls to my marketing rep to check in - my application seemed perpetually "5-10 business days" away from approval. They're backlogged.

Week 6 - Request for updated documentation. Since a month had passed, I needed to submit another round of financial statements.

Week 7 - Explaination sheets. This is generally good news, since it means they did a first pass of the documentation. I submitted explainations for the deposits in question.

Week 8 (August) - Disqualified? My marketing rep called to inform me that I was disqualified. However the reason given sounded completely bogus -- an rule from an old marketing handbook that was no longer in effect. I desperately called HDC and my city councilperson to try to get an intervention. It worked!! There truly was a mistake made and my disqualification was rescinded.

End of Week 8 - Offer email! My application was forwarded to leasing. Paying and signing happened very quickly - same day!

End of Week 9 - Move in!

Final notes:

-According to a rider in my lease, this is a Roberts apartment.

-A funny thing happened to me after I applied. I was in such a habit of checking this forum, that I saw the really great July 4th deals. I thought, did I actually get a good deal? I had to convince myself that yes, this was a good deal. There are many people with better rents than me, and that's OK. Many are worse off, too. All things considered, I'm happy so far with my outcome and I think I got very lucky catching the unit and getting first position.

-What appealed to me about this lottery was the chance to apply for a unit on such short notice. It just so happened that I needed to move this summer, but I was still flexibile. Based on this experience, I would say plan for a minimum of two months between application and move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery