Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

1. Everyone is welcome to visit, but they are not welcomed to stay
2. Chinese money stays in the Chinese community
3. They control their own media

The first one reminds me of "sundown towns". Do you really want that kind of racist unwelcome mentality to return? The writer clearly took away the wrong lessons. I doubt most people want this country to turn into a patchwork of little countries with their own language, laws, and media, and no longer be America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The Jewish community is also a good example to follow. In all my years in NYC, I've never met a poor and destitute Jew....
What happens in Jewtown stays in Jewtown-
The Poorest Town In America Is Closer, And More Jewish, Than You Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Even "Mad Men" had a scene where blacks were agitating to get work as SECRETARIES in ad agencies...and the whites were quite derisive in response, (pouring hot water on them).
I saw this episode and the white guys in the ad agency did not pour hot water on the black protestors, they dropped water balloons on them.

A small detail but there's no need to exaggerate society's problems without inventing new ones.

Last edited by renault; 12-10-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Raising capital is one of the biggest hurdles for starting and expanding black businesses. One solution is for more black-Americans to learn and use the Susu loan approach that's popular with caribbean blacks.
Isn't raising capital one of the biggest hurdles for starting any business? It's almost impossible to get a standard bank loan when one is starting up. The saying goes banks lend only to those who don't need to borrow. Most entreps starting up rely on personal savings, maxing credit cards and F&F.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
the totality of black americans can't catch up
to 400 years of oppression and degradation
in a mere 40 years. stop worrying about why
blacks are still so jacked up in this society.
that's a no-brainer. there's a long long way
left to go to repair all that damage. there's
a lot of mental stuff holding people back; not
saying they can't get over it, but it is a factor
a lot of times.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
When my girl was applying to law school, she got rejected at some schools. Through TLS.com and the forums on there, we could not even count on both of our hands put together how many non-whites with worse LSAT's coming from worse ranked undergrads (mainly AA's and hispanics) got into the same schools with either partial or full scholarships. People are generally more than happen to share (brag) on that site.

Quit using that excuse. When your WHITE girl graduates from a law school her prospects for employment and for promotion will be MUCH BETTER than it would be if she was black.

Do not believe me, then tell me why the top echelons of most law firms in NYC are almost totally white in a city where most of the population is not. Note that blacks and others of color have a tougher time finding mentors in major corporations.

It is through these mentors that one learns the ropes, obtains challenging assignments where one can prove one's self, and gets support when time comes for promotion. In addition to this, given that most of the wealth lies in the hands of whites, who prefer to do business with their own, it becomes difficult for a black partner in a law form to land new business.

So quit your whining about "white man is a victim" nonsense. If your girl faces discrimination, it is from white MEN, who are favored in the corporate world over others.

The vast majority of those admitted to law schools are white. Clearly she was mediocre, and rather than admitting this wants to blame the 10% (if that much) who arent white rather than accept the fact that the vast majority of those admitted are white.

There are very few race based scholarships left. WHITE PRIVILEDGE is a much greater factor influencing who gets where than any form of race based affirmative action.

Notable that Legacy admissions arent something that you wish to discuss.

Last edited by caribny; 12-10-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
1.I saw this episode and the white guys in the ad agency did not pour hot water on the black protestors, they dropped water balloons on them.

A small detail but there's no need to exaggerate society's problems without inventing new ones.
OK so it was water balloons. Bottom line is the blacks had to protest. Their protests were met with abuse and they still didnt get employment AS SECRETARIES, except one of them, and the white male clients were quite derisive about this fact, yet still wanted a share of the "Negro" market for certain products.

So whats your excuse?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Raising capital is one of the biggest hurdles for starting and expanding black businesses. One solution is for more black-Americans to learn and use the Susu loan approach that's popular with caribbean blacks.

Franchise Profile - Jamaican Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com

If blacks are to get black unemployment down black businesses will have to play a larger role in that. Every group provides employment for themsleves. I'am big on black-Americans learning somethings from Chinatown as far as handling money.

With a TRILLION dollars in black spending power what if more blacks applied lesson 2 on this link to our communities?

3 Lessons the Black Community Can Learn from Chinatown | Shorty: Your Chicago South Side Resource

I am fully aware of susu, box, pardner hand, and the v arious names for this practise. I am also fully aware that the sums raised are noty sufficient to fund these businesses. And this is evidenced by the fact that most Caribbean owned businesses remain under capitalized and have many of the same problems that African American businesses have. A quick stroll through a commericial strip in any Caribbean neighborhood in NY and you will note the large numbers of store vacancies.

You do not know the full details of China town. Suffice to say that there is loads of loan shark activity, human trafficking and other activities which suggest that this is not necessarily an appropriate model. Apart from the fact that Chinese and Jews have been merchants for centuries where as blacks whose ancestors are slaves have not had the length of time, nor the cultural background to develop the appetite for risk, an ideology of supporting one's own group, and an ability to trust each other.

Oh and by the way many of those susus break up once some one late in the process doesnt bring in their contribution, this after drawing on the pool.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is absolutely the case.
And now ... this culture has made some unemployable, basically, unless they make changes themselves. While lacking the tools to do so, given the history.

Unless there is an intervention no chnage will occur. If the parents do not parent then they never will.

This is why the educational system is important. Imaginative and relevant education tied to job opportunities might interest enough people to break the cycle. One will never get all, but if more see the light it might have a ripple effect.

The educational system in certain communities also has to provide life skills, not just academic. Inclusive of parenting skills. Sadly the grand parents who knew better, have now moved on, so one is left with the creatures who came of age in the 60s with the dysfunction that we are both aware of.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
.0 They take care of their community, patronize each others businesses, have people in high places in political offices, and high positions in well known corporations, and in media and entertainment. If anything I think the Jewish community is the #1 example to follow if you want your people to succeed in society...
And if blacks do this loads of people will jump up and scream how racist this is.

Already we see some people blaming blacks for voting for Obama when virtually all the votes that he got would have gone to a white Democrat in another election.

Funny the characters who accuse blacks of racist voting didnt accuse white females of being sexist when they supported Hillary.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
.Most entreps starting up rely on personal savings, maxing credit cards and F&F.

True which is why people who lack these networks or savings have a tougher time.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
I don't know why Chinatown has been dragged into the discussion. But the fact is Chinatown is always a vibrant community. The graduation rate of Chinese kids beats the rate of Blacks and Latinos hands down, year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City