Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
This is BS. So basically, opening up your mouth and saying anything to a woman is harassment?

The guys said good morning or good evening, and kept it moving. Yeah, a few of them went over the top (Following her for 5 minutes, or insisting that she say thank you for the compliment), but that was the exception, not the rule.

These other videos are BS too. The other woman walked by a construction site, a guy said he thought she looked pretty, she said thank you, kept walking, and he left her alone. How is that harassment? Then in some other video, a young white woman walks by in a super-revealing outfit, and the video zooms in on a big black guy turning his head to look (keep in mind, he didn't say anything, or even move, literally his head just turned to look at her) like he's such a bad guy.

Heck, even in that video with "Jessica's Feminized World" or whatever, she's like "Oh, is that guy looking at my ass"? So what if he is? He didn't even say anything. And let's be real, like girls don't look at guys all the time.

Yeah, being followed or getting crazy sexual comments is obviously bad, but let's not pretend like all guys approaching women are like that.
I just saw the "Jessica's Feminized World" video you're talking about. It's interesting how the guy who was "looking at (her) ass" had his face blurred out, so you couldn't even tell what he was really looking at. I guess he couldn't possibly be looking her way seeing that she just ran by him with a camera in front of her . I would have looked to see what was going on too.

I guess I should try to avert my eyes from having any woman in my field of vision from now on. I wouldn't want them to misconstrue it as me staring at them, thus being "harassment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Everyone crying for this woman should watch the movie "Ms .45".

Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Some of those guys are creepy as hell, but seriously, a lot of them are just saying "hi" or "what's up" that is not harassment. Stop being ****ing antisocial. If you can't handle talking to strangers get the **** out of New York City and go back to Westchester or Ohio or wherever the **** you came from

Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
I seen the video and she is a 75/average looks wise

Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
if she walked around a major city in Italy for 10 hours I wonder if she would get a lot of men following beckoning "Bella! Bella!"
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bW...aly_231853.jpg

Old 11-02-2014, 01:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
I just saw the "Jessica's Feminized World" video you're talking about. It's interesting how the guy who was "looking at (her) ass" had his face blurred out, so you couldn't even tell what he was really looking at. I guess he couldn't possibly be looking her way seeing that she just ran by him with a camera in front of her . I would have looked to see what was going on too.

I guess I should try to avert my eyes from having any woman in my field of vision from now on. I wouldn't want them to misconstrue it as me staring at them, thus being "harassment".
Yeah, just keep your head down and walk into a construction barrier like she did. And yeah, looking at the video again, that guy looks like he was just talking on the phone when a woman with a camera crew ran into his field of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Some of those guys are creepy as hell, but seriously, a lot of them are just saying "hi" or "what's up" that is not harassment. Stop being ****ing antisocial. If you can't handle talking to strangers get the **** out of New York City and go back to Westchester or Ohio or wherever the **** you came from
I like how in that Jessica Williams video, she's like "If I don't want to talk to anybody, I should avoid the teens at the bodega, the old men playing dominos, etc". As if you don't have random homeless people asking for change, or kids selling candy, or people handing out advertisements or any of that in this city.

Heck, for that matter, there actually have been random guys who've come up to me and just said "Hey, how are you doing?" Whether I'm walking down the street, or waiting for a bus or train or something. (I'm a straight male, and I'm going to assume those were other straight males). So yeah, some people actually are that sociable.

And she's like "list places where you've been harassed". Somebody says "Upper West Side", and I guarantee you she just highlighted the entire neighborhood, because I really doubt they did a corner-by-corner analysis of where they've been harassed.

Another one says "Oh, if you make eye contact, that was an invitation for them to say something or look at you too long". So if you look good, even looking at you too long is considered harassment?

It's like we're supposed to understand "Oh, men are more powerful and we feel intimidated", but they don't understand that men have natural instincts and we're not supposed to even look at them?

By the way, for anybody who's interested, I tried breaking down the video by area:

* I'm not sure where 0:13 - 0:18 was shot (if I could zoom into the building with the red lettering, I could probably find out). If I had to guess, I'd say probably somewhere in Harlem.

By the way, the girl walking behind her in that segment looked pretty attractive.

* 0:18 - 0:20 was in SoHo along Broadway.

* 0:20 - 0:27, was near NYU.

* 0:27 - 0:32 was along 125th Street in Harlem.

* 0:32 - 0:34 was further east along 125th Street by Madison.

* 0:34 - 0:36 was by Canal Street & Broadway.

* 0:38 - 0:44 were all in the Times Square area.

* 0:45 - 1:36 were all along 125th Street (borderline Harlem/East Harlem area). You have the Metro-North station in the background, and the M100 bus.

* 1:36 - 1:43 were back in Times Square.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 11-02-2014 at 02:15 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 AM

79 posts, read 153,419 times
I live very close to Chiang Mai University in Northern Thailand, and she would be in the bottom quintile, here, and would likely declare herself a lesbian after failing to find a man (or boy) to take her out. The lady, who cleans the toilets, where I drink 65 cent beers has a better body.

Edit: I actually just watched the 2 minute video. A high percentage of the greetings were perfectly friendly. I thought NYers wee suppose to be cold and unfriendly. It's a little surprising that a lady, who is about a 5.5 gets so much attention; the situation must be dire for straight guys up there. This kind of BS makes me not miss the US. There is nothing feminine about feminism; most of them seem to look a lot more like Fred Flintstone, except with longer side-burns.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:45 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-tex View Post
I live very close to Chiang Mai University in Northern Thailand, and she would be in the bottom quintile, here, and would likely declare herself a lesbian after failing to find a man (or boy) to take her out. The lady, who cleans the toilets, where I drink 65 cent beers has a better body.

Edit: I actually just watched the 2 minute video. A high percentage of the greetings were perfectly friendly. I thought NYers wee suppose to be cold and unfriendly. It's a little surprising that a lady, who is about a 5.5 gets so much attention; the situation must be dire for straight guys up there. This kind of BS makes me not miss the US. There is nothing feminine about feminism; most of them seem to look a lot more like Fred Flintstone, except with longer side-burns.
Actually, these types of women aren't feminists. They're misogynists.

Feminism, by definition means that you want equality between men and women. Do you believe that women should be allowed to vote and hold whatever jobs they want (whether it's engineer, firefighter, football player, etc)? Congratulations, you're a feminist.

But you really think you can explain that to people who can't even spell harassment? (Go to 0:30)

Street Harassment: Sidewalk Sleazebags and Metro Molesters - YouTube

Here's a nice reaction to the video that sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJX6owYq93k

I like the part with the woman at the end who actually agrees with the guy, and even takes it a step further, saying that if a guy genuinely believes the girl has nice boobs, it's alright to call it out. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with that, but at the same time, she does have a point that, by definition of harassment, it's technically not.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:04 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I like how in that Jessica Williams video, she's like "If I don't want to talk to anybody, I should avoid the teens at the bodega, the old men playing dominos, etc". As if you don't have random homeless people asking for change, or kids selling candy, or people handing out advertisements or any of that in this city.
Let me add that these women only seem to be complaining about working class types. The blue-collared are beneath them, therefore, have no right to even LOOK let alone say "Hi" to them. I'm sure they'll try to put that into law one day. Moreover, I guess 100% of white-collar individuals are respectful in their approach seeing that there's rarely complaints about them.

The irony in all of this is that many women transplants in NYC are gentrifiers. They knowingly move into "bad" neighborhoods almost chock full of real creeps, yet complain about them (who were there longer) anyway. While that doesn't excuse their actions, it takes some nerve to expect a whole community to change and cater to your liking once you arrive. That in itself, alongside helping displace hard-working people of those once affordable communities, is FAR MORE disrespectful than a "thug" calling a woman beautiful.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 PM

203 posts, read 191,117 times
This woman is walking throughout Harlem, did she really expect anything different? To be honest, she is fortunate, because many black women are harassed AND attacked, for not responding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City