Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
How do we know that this was not setup? How are all of you people that are coming to this woman's defense so sure this was not done as a publicity stunt? How are you so sure this was not done to promote this website "hollaback" and to solicit donations from people?

This woman is an actor (or trying to be one) and clearly she wrote on her website her breast size. Now explain to me what self respecting person writes that down? She is just a publicity seeker and this whole thing is just one big scam. I'm not in anyway promoting catcalls but the way this was done to create "awareness" smells fishy to me.
I agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,727 times
Quote:
How do we know that this was not setup? How are all of you people that are coming to this woman's defense so sure this was not done as a publicity stunt? How are you so sure this was not done to promote this website "hollaback" and to solicit donations from people?

This woman is an actor (or trying to be one) and clearly she wrote on her website her breast size. Now explain to me what self respecting person writes that down? She is just a publicity seeker and this whole thing is just one big scam. I'm not in anyway promoting catcalls but the way this was done to create "awareness" smells fishy to me.
1. Whether she's an actor or an attention seeker or not doesn't change anything about the guys' reactions to her in the video, so it's just a spurious personal attack on your part.
2. While it is at least theoretically possible, though deeply unlikely, that all of the guys in the video are also actors, you'd have to be blind and deaf (or just oblivious) not to see this happen to women every day on the streets of NYC (or happen to you every day, if you're a woman). If you really are that dumb, try talking to some young women friends about their experiences.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Guys are going to be guys. Some are more upfront and outright vulgar than others (I won't get into that). Nothing is going to change that. Not even all the "look at me" youtube videos in the world. When you choose to live in a ridiculously, absurdly dense city like this, you're gonna get hollered at by certain men if you have nice curves. Not much different than a male lion roaring at a female lion that he wants to mount...

Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I don't see what's wrong with that. If a guy cat calls you, then he thinks you're attractive. Doesn't every woman want men to find her attractive?

Of course women (and men) want to feel attractive but they are ways to go about it.

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Look at these awful comments in this short video, "have a nice evening", "good morning", "how are you", "smile", "hi beautiful", "hello, good morning", "God bless you have a good day", "Whats up", "have a nice evening". A few said "damn" as in they thought she was cute. The only one I thought was weird was the guy that kept silently walking along side her.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. So saying, "hello, good morning" has become street harassment? This is somebody wanting attention and hoping to be discovered. Then notice the nice ladylike mouth she has on her in the second video. Too bad her videos will get views, too bad this thread was posted as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
What is the definition of "cat call"?

"Hi." "How are you doing today?" "Have a nice evening." Are these cat calls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
A lot of men in this city are desperate, disgusting pigs. Nothing new.

Women that dress like sluts aren't any better.
Quote:
It is a ghetto thing. And ghetto people do this kind of crap. I didn't say what ethnicity the people were, I mentioned their mentality. And what do you know? Are you an expert on catcalling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymom View Post
Why does this matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why chose gay men catcalling men? Its not analogous.

You didn't chose the actual analogous situation - women catcalling men - because you know very well what the answer would be. Your sophistry is transparent.

Plus the "animosity against women" argument. While that is a well-worn plank in radical feminist studies dept., this is the real world. Laughable flannel.
Well, if women cat called men, it would be TOTALLY different since men wouldn't mind it and it's just not the same. Men are physically on average much stronger than women and if they choose to, they can assault, rape and just physically harm them much easily than if the role was reversed. It's not that women can't rape a guy or cause harm but throughout history men have always raped, brutalized, victimized women so much more than men.

So, that's why I make the gay comparison because if men are sexually confronted by a man of equal power, cat calling, harassing, trying to get sex from him, it'll be a much different scenario. He wouldn't scuff at it like if a women were to cat call a man, he'll be much more on the defensive and scared.

And yes, I stand on my animosity towards women argument. Growing up with a single mother as a kid, I have seen men become totally enraged when ignored by mother. I can't even tell you the amounts of "Whatever B--ch, f--k you", "Oh, you think you all that now huh?" and other angry responses when my mother ignored their advancements. You think there's no harboring resentment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
A lot of of us would have never existed if it wasn't for catcalls.

Have you completely lost your mind? How are you going to tell a man how to be a man and you can't even be one?

Go lecture some of your fancy boys.
You're not even half the man I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Ya, saying good morning, that's very upsetting. She should have called a cop. Most all of what was said in that short video was not rude or suggestive at all. I don't even believe it was real, especially given she claims to be an "actress". She did this to get attention, and apparently it worked. Funny the one poster saying something like she thought they were beneath her, and then to hear her cursing like a sailor on that other video. Yes, the Queen has quite a mouth on her. Royal blood, like the Osbournes.

And you apparently have some hang ups given the way you are lashing out, rude and full of assumption with regard to others that have commented. Ya sometimes hear older gals, grocery store clerks and such, calling the customer "hun". I suppose you'd write 3 paragraphs on that one too.
Of course she did it to get attention to make a point. This is NOT an exaggeration as I see it all the time happen in the street and its not the good morning that's the problem, its the WAY its being said and the tonality of it all. And as for older women calling guys "hun", its COMPLETELY different from a guy saying "Oh, smile, hey babe, hey sexy, damn mami, looking good". You can't even compare. Be real.

And so what if she has a potty mouth? That doesn't matter, at all. The least. And it was the POSTER saying that, not the actress herself. Get real.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Jesus,

Isn't it better than the endless: "Got a quarter?"

Mating rituals are different in different cultures so if we want puritanical values to reign supreme, maybe we should prevent the endless importation of cheap labor...and their tribal cultures.

Want a melting pot so workers can flip burgers for $5, then don't complain because poor men behave like poor men rather than Lord Fauntleroy

Wanna get noticed? Wear a skin tight body stocking for afternoon wear.

(Nobody noticed that on her back she has a sign $60.)

But in truth, as a gay man, I find it appalling that any man would even LOOK at a woman much less talk to her.

And reality check: Any guesses how much this dame will be paid for appearances in the next week? Do you think she might score $100 grand? Oprah? Ellen?
Does she have an agent already? Betcha!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
1. Whether she's an actor or an attention seeker or not doesn't change anything about the guys' reactions to her in the video, so it's just a spurious personal attack on your part.
2. While it is at least theoretically possible, though deeply unlikely, that all of the guys in the video are also actors, you'd have to be blind and deaf (or just oblivious) not to see this happen to women every day on the streets of NYC (or happen to you every day, if you're a woman). If you really are that dumb, try talking to some young women friends about their experiences.
First, I'm not in any way saying this does not happen to women and from this video I do not see a lot of harassment.
I never said that women don't get harassed on the streets. Maybe you just wanted to hear that so that you could start an argument. Also, calling me "dumb" makes you look like an infant. Or someone who is incapable of having a conversation without childish name calling. Maybe you need to see a psychiatrist and learn how to be an adult or learn how to communicate without childish name calling. .

Second, how does giving money to this site going to help out women? Several people have expressed outrage, frustration, sympathy but not one person has given a possible solution to curb this sort of behavior.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
This woman is an actor (or trying to be one) and clearly she wrote on her website her breast size. Now explain to me what self respecting person writes that down?
A lot of female actors detail their measurements. In the building where I work, an acting agency got rid of a lot of their headshots and put them in a box in the basement near our storage area. I looked thru some of the headshots and many women had their measurements on the back. You need a look to play a certain role, the director might want someone skinny or fat to play it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times
Jessica's Feminized Atmosphere - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

An alternative to the current video that's making the rounds lately.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
You're not even half the man I am.

No thank you.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,932 times
All I will say in this matter is as a female I have had this happen to me many times. Most of the time it is unwanted & intimidating. Has nothing to do with the way I was dressed most of the time either. There are some decent men & then there are some pretty horrible ones. Then the ones in between. No comment on this subject otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City