Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:20 PM

203 posts, read 191,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Let me add that these women only seem to be complaining about working class types. The blue-collared are beneath them, therefore, have no right to even LOOK let alone say "Hi" to them. I'm sure they'll try to put that into law one day. Moreover, I guess 100% of white-collar individuals are respectful in their approach seeing that there's rarely complaints about them.
Usually, working class guys are unappealing to non working class women. Generally speaking, most middle and upper income women want to marry or date within (or above their class) not below it.

Quote:
The irony in all of this is that many women transplants in NYC are gentrifiers. They knowingly move into "bad" neighborhoods almost chock full of real creeps, yet complain about them (who were there longer) anyway. While that doesn't excuse their actions, it takes some nerve to expect a whole community to change and cater to your liking once you arrive. That in itself, alongside helping displace hard-working people of those once affordable communities, is FAR MORE disrespectful than a "thug" calling a woman beautiful.
They move into lower income areas, because they may only be able to afford the rent in those localities, (until they complete graduate school or get a higher paying job). But income alone doesn't denote class levels, and many of these women, have 0 interest in the guys who inhabit the lower income communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
You'd be an idiot to believe that. White men were intentionally edited out because street harassment is being painted as an issue tied to black and hispanic men terrorizing innocent, delciate woman walking down the streets of America. Namely innocent, delicate white women.

Street Harassment is simply modern phrase for something that was part and parcel of the Jim Crow era.....darkies are not allowed to acknowledge white women in a sexual fashion while in public. This is what got Emmet Till beaten, mutilated and killed.

If not combatted politically and socially, this will become law and will be used indiscriminately against black and brown men.....mostly black. They had 10 hours of footage but then they claim they don't have tons of material to come up with ideal demographics

Women like this are fine with being harassed, so long as it's a white guy. If you're black, though..
So white men don't have the right to defend their women, against mistreatment from other races of men?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
White guys were edited out of the video because they didn't want to attach the negative stigma of street harassment to their image so they decided to attach that negative image to men of color instead. That way people are given the impression that something is inherently wrong with men of color aka "Those savages just can't control themselves". If only they were honest enough to admit it.

....Drumroll..PS'ed a brothers head on a white dudes body smh
It is rare for middle/upper income white guys to be so bold and brazen. Usually, they are more subtle with expressing interest.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Some of those guys are creepy as hell, but seriously, a lot of them are just saying "hi" or "what's up" that is not harassment. Stop being ****ing antisocial. If you can't handle talking to strangers get the **** out of New York City and go back to Westchester or Ohio or wherever the **** you came from
Most of the guys featured in the video have nothing to offer, other than a life of poverty, despair and violence.

It's always best not to entertain their comments.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
So here's the guy version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX...&feature=share

Can't say I've ever been whistled at walking down 8th avenue like this guy. Maybe because I'm not tall and ripped. Oh, the terrible problems of the beautiful people....

Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM

104 posts, read 141,843 times
Catcalling is annoying to women period. Why is it so hard to understand? Especially if it happens frequently within a certain period of time. You know those bums who come up to you when you're walking down the street and ask you for money...it kinda reminds me of that. Sometimes they yell things at you when you don't give them money right? Same with catcallers when you don't return their advances or acknowledge them. Yet people ignore bums all the time. Imagine there are several bums doing this on each block, asking you for money, sticking there cup in your face, pitching to you why should give them money. Or for those of you who are not in walkable cities...imagine there's a bum coming up to your car at every stop light...annoyed yet? Yea...you can ignore it but it would be nice if it didn't happen at all...and some of them are mean, pushy, and scary and sometimes you just don't want to be bothered.

How about instead of just approaching random strange women, lock eyes with them first and smile. Do they smile back? If yes...good, proceed. If no, leave her alone and move on to the next one. Save both of you the time and awkwardness and annoyance of approaching someone and leaving with your feelings getting hurt.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
Catcalling is annoying to women period. Why is it so hard to understand? Especially if it happens frequently within a certain period of time. You know those bums who come up to you when you're walking down the street and ask you for money...it kinda reminds me of that. Sometimes they yell things at you when you don't give them money right? Same with catcallers when you don't return their advances or acknowledge them. Yet people ignore bums all the time. Imagine there are several bums doing this on each block, asking you for money, sticking there cup in your face, pitching to you why should give them money. Or for those of you who are not in walkable cities...imagine there's a bum coming up to your car at every stop light...annoyed yet? Yea...you can ignore it but it would be nice if it didn't happen at all...and some of them are mean, pushy, and scary and sometimes you just don't want to be bothered.

How about instead of just approaching random strange women, lock eyes with them first and smile. Do they smile back? If yes...good, proceed. If no, leave her alone and move on to the next one. Save both of you the time and awkwardness and annoyance of approaching someone and leaving with your feelings getting hurt.
You just said bums catcalling women. Many of these guys are high or otherwise not in their right mind.

It's extremely obnoxious behavior, catcalling, as is aggressive panhandling. But what do you want done? There's absolutely no way the police can imprison every person who is a jerk or is rude.

So if you're going to go outside, then you're going to have to get a thicker skin and learn how to ignore these people.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
This woman is walking throughout Harlem, did she really expect anything different? To be honest, she is fortunate, because many black women are harassed AND attacked, for not responding...
Bull****. Few women are attacked. Very few to the point of being insignificant.

And boy, any woman who whines about this sets the whole idea of women being strong behind. A woman can't ignore a few crazy unemployed crackheads without whining and hysterics. Darling, if you're that weak, just become a suburban housewife and stick to cooking and cleaning for your husband. Save going outside in the real world for adults of both genders who can take what's thrown out at them.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM

104 posts, read 141,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You just said bums catcalling women. Many of these guys are high or otherwise not in their right mind.

It's extremely obnoxious behavior, catcalling, as is aggressive panhandling. But what do you want done? There's absolutely no way the police can imprison every person who is a jerk or is rude.

So if you're going to go outside, then you're going to have to get a thicker skin and learn how to ignore these people.
I was making an analysis between bums and men who are catcallers... not bums who cat call women. I think it's easier for men to understand because bums disturb EVERYONE and mostly everyone is annoyed by it, ignores the behavior, or goes out of their way to avoid dealing with it.

How can we stop it? I think were moving in the right direction by having women post videos, share stories, spread awareness so this behavior isn't as socially acceptable and brushed off as easily as it has been before coming to light.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Springs View Post
Most of the guys featured in the video have nothing to offer, other than a life of poverty, despair and violence.

It's always best not to entertain their comments.
Who said anything about hooking up with them? But if you fall apart just because someone said hello or something else to you, it's YOU who have the problem.

I have had unwanted attention from homeless people or crackheads who tried to sell me drugs, sell me sexual services, or otherwise who were just creepy. I ignored them and went about my way in most cases, though in some cases I said hello back and went about my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City