Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM

602 posts, read 1,264,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I don't have any significant experience in a liberal arts school but I doubt they organize as well as an engineering school.
Huh, yeah. Good point. I can't imagine an engineering/math/science class *not* failing all students on a test they didn't pass. Like you, I don't have experience in liberal arts schools either, perhaps there are participation ribbons and whatnot there, everyone's a winner. Dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It wasn't a personal jab. The "low standards of grammar" was a quip on the "standards are lowered" insult in the post of the poster I was quoting. But carry on. Next time I'll try to include CliffsNotes, even for such obvious things.
Cliffnotes? Here you go again with your snide remark. You just don't get it do you?

And no that "quip" was not obvious because the other poster was referring to the school standards, while your "quip" was targeting his ability. You are just wrong.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Here you go again with your snide remark. You just don't get it do you?

And no that "quip" was not obvious because the other poster was referring to the school standards, while your "quip" was targeting his ability.
Pay him no mind. It's like talking to a wall.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Most Americans can't even speak English, let alone anything else. I'm partially of Euro descent, so it's common for us to speak several languages. I speak others as well, but not fluently, so I don't count them. ASL isn't in the same category or is it?
I'm assuming those four languages are in the same language family with probably the same Roman alphabet writing system and most likely split among the Romance and Germanic branches of the Indo-European family. Is that accurate?

Good on you, but is that remarkable for NYC? It's okay. In America, overall? Very good!

As for the topic at hand--fighting for more equitable funding and attention for primary schools might make sense, but suing to force changes for entrance into high school isn't a great use of time or money and something that'll just be draining for the city.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm assuming those four languages are in the same language family with probably the same Roman alphabet writing system and most likely split among the Romance and Germanic branches of the Indo-European family. Is that accurate?

Good on you, but is that remarkable for NYC? It's okay. In America, overall? Very good!

As for the topic at hand--fighting for more equitable funding and attention for primary schools might make sense, but suing to force changes for entrance into high school isn't a great use of time or money and something that'll just be draining for the city.
I guess you missed my sarcasm. My point was I think I'm entitled to make a mistake once in a while. I'm quite aware of how common it is to speak multiple languages outside of the U.S., so at least we're on the same page about something.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Isn't Cornell known for flunking students in its engineering school, to the point that some students have committed suicide?
Yes, because those students either Individually didn't do well or could not deal with the pressure. No professor would fail the entire class because that would be the last class they'd ever teach at Cornell. We got considerable curves in the Ivy League and not just in math and science. I've taken English and history classes that have been curved as well. These schools live off alumni donations and never underestimate the effect that has on how they do business, including what professors they retain.

I had two professors at Columbia who had not graded our papers one month after the semester ended. For obvious reasons students were pissed and the department stepped in and stripped both professors of teaching duties. In one class everyone got an A, and I'm sure it was just to placate the fact for an entire semester he had not graded any of our papers.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:05 PM

151 posts, read 154,559 times
Quote:
Most Americans can't even speak English, let alone anything else. I'm partially of Euro descent, so it's common for us to speak several languages. I speak others as well, but not fluently, so I don't count them. ASL isn't in the same category or is it?

No no no! Don't apologize now. You've done a fine job of pointing out my fatal mistake. Unlike the NAACP, my skin is a bit thicker than most.

There's zero doubt in my mind that you're a pathetic liar. Euro decent??? Yeah so does every other white American who can barely speak English. You're really starting to become a running joke man.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I don't know the thought process that guides professors. I got the sense that faced with a situation where most kids fail the professor started targeting for an average grade of B-/C. I recall some of my hard science/math professors explicitly stating that a bell curve in grades is the norm and all the classes with elevated failure rates that I've taken were either math or hard science classes.

It's worth noting that the situation occurred in an 100 level class which many non-major kids took to fulfill a prereq or are just trying out the major so the prof was just cutting everyone some slack.
Fail too many students and you get fired. Never underestimated the factor of needing to keep ones employment.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You speak two languages. Impressive. Give me a call when you can speak four as I do.
What languages, do you also read and write, and where and how do you learn them?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What languages, do you also read and write, and where and how do you learn them?
English, German, Spanish and Italian. Some French and Portuguese too. Something called life and living in various places. That and my ethnic background helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
There's zero doubt in my mind that you're a pathetic liar. Euro decent??? Yeah so does every other white American who can barely speak English. You're really starting to become a running joke man.
Unlike some people, I've been to the mother country and have lived there. I doubt you can say the same. I know my roots. Do you? If not, the jokes on you.

The NAACP really needs to face reality and stop trying to sue every time they think the playing field isn't level enough for them.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-23-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City