Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
lmfao... are you serious ?
Well, legally they can't, no? There would ostensibly be a bit of subterfuge involved if they did, but her name supposedly came up pretty readily for campaign contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No fines for making a false report nor animal abuse for dragging that poor dog around by the neck. If I was seen on youtube dragging a dog around like that I might get protests outside of my house daily and my employer may fire me too.
Yep
Remember how they treated Mike Vick Before and after his prison sentence, he said sorry and does great work for the humane society it’s still not good enough.
Amy maybe a Liberal, but she still gets a pass from conservatives because she’s white.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Dun, dun, dun!

https://www.newsweek.com/nyc-commiss...ck-man-1506805

Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, legally they can't, no? There would ostensibly be a bit of subterfuge involved if they did, but her name supposedly came up pretty readily for campaign contributions.

Yes,but really... let's be serious....how many tens of millions do you think get donated by foreigners to presidential campaigns ? And probably Senate campaigns and Governor campaigns ?

As Leona Helmsley said.....rules like that are only for little people.

I know, it was actually that only little people pay taxes but you know what I mean.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Yes,but really... let's be serious....how many tens of millions do you think get donated by foreigners to presidential campaigns ? And probably Senate campaigns and Governor campaigns ?

I know, it was actually that only little people pay taxes but you know what I mean.
So, I make a statement based in law. You respond with your personal opinion on an accounting of illegal foreign campaign contributions, and with zero evidence to back it up by the way

In any event, do tell me how what I wrote us not factual. I explicitly accounted for the possibility of illegal campaign contributions by Cooper with my statement. I never claimed or stated that people don't violate the law in this or other regards. Your response is silly, but that's a possibility any time you highlight something and change its context

Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:

The only way would be that they somehow transfer the money to a US citizen who will then donate, etc... fine, well everyone can do that, even the little people who are foreigners, if they really wanted to.

Do they want to do that?

Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I understand what you're saying and agree with the general idea, but in this case, we're talking about a specific individual and the possibility that she violated the law. There's a lot of scrutiny on her already and all prospectheightsresident pointed out was that she donated and if was not a citizen, then she was in violation of the law.

This was also in context of me wondering where she's from as something about the way she talked sounded definitely not NYC to me even though NYC's accents have been steamrolled by the middle American accent in which case her donation opens the possibility points to having been born here and gone to school in Canada (though I think it's more likely she naturalized given her white collar professional job). I think what he said makes a lot of sense in this context. It's not that you're wrong and I'm definitely in agreement with what you said (and also, moreover, the kind of campaign contributions allowable in our political system is, to me, ridiculous), but I think scoffing at what prospectheightsresident said also doesn't quite make sense in this context.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I understand what you're saying and agree with the general idea, but in this case, we're talking about a specific individual and the possibility that she violated the law. There's a lot of scrutiny on her already and all prospectheightsresident pointed out was that she donated and if was not a citizen, then she was in violation of the law. This was also in context of me wondering where she's from as something about the way she talked sounded definitely not NYC to me even though NYC's accents have been steamrolled by the middle American accent. I think what he said makes a lot of sense in this context.
Absolutely. The response to my post (and the mocking nature of it at that) was bizarre. I didn't claim that illegal donations don't take place. Or that they are a minor problem (hell, I don't know whether they are a minor or major problem, but that's irrelevant to my post). No, I merely touched on a very specific and factual point for Amy Cooper. If she is from Canada (and not a dual Canadian-US citizen), the reports that she donated money to Democrat campaigns are either wrong or show that she violated the law as foreign nationals cannot donate to US elections. There is nothing incorrect about the statement.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Absolutely. The response to my post (and the mocking nature of it at that) was bizarre. I didn't claim that illegal donations don't take place. Or that they are a minor problem (hell, I don't know whether they are a minor or major problem, but that's irrelevant to my post). No, I merely touched on a very specific and factual point for this person. If she is from Canada (and not a dual Canadian-US citizen), the reports that she donated money to Democrat campaigns are either wrong or show that she violated the law as foreign nationals cannot donate to US elections. There is nothing incorrect about the statement.
Right. Sorry, I edited my post a bit after you quoted, but gist was the same. Nothing bluedog said was wrong either, but it also doesn't contradict what you said. Everyone should be cool and grouphugged.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-27-2020 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 06:06 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just wished I shot videos of entitled females at work that made indirect racists comments. Just goes to show how entitled some women have gotten at work since the metoo thing started. They are somehow a protected specie regardless of how vile or egregious comments they get to make while the men can only keep their mouths shut. Years ago I made a comment which agreed with a female executive and I was put on the spot for making a racist remark for simply agreeing.
I hope you understand that a "racist comment," no matter how insulting, is not the same thing as a threat or a lying accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City