Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 05:20 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Saturday morning I left my car unlocked in a small Queens supermarket parking lot for five minutes and someone took worthless stuff from my car. The parking lot is in back of the store where there is no foot traffic and usually only a handful of customers at that hour. I left it unlocked because I thought it would be safe for five minutes with nothing in it. I had some free weekly newspapers that I had placed on the floor and as I was driving home I realized they were gone. When i got home I checked the car and the only other thing missing was my insurance card that was in the glove box.

I went back to the store and asked the manager to check the surveillance video and he was nice enough to do that. It showed another customer who is a regular at that store walk around my car, open the door and take out the newspapers which he dumped into a trash container. He went back to the car and that was probably when he took my insurance card. There was another car next to mine so I couldn't see exactly what he was doing. He then closed my door and took a shopping cart and went into the store to shop.

The manager and cashier said they knew the guy and he shops there every Saturday morning and seems like he's a bit "off" in the head. He's an older tall white man. I guess he's mentally ill to take free newspapers out of my car and dump them in a trash can. I don't know what he wanted with my insurance card unless he just grabbed it thinking it was a check or something.

I didn't call the police because nothing of value was taken and I did leave the car unlocked (for five minutes). I could try to confront him next Saturday if he returns but that really wouldn't accomplish anything other than the satisfaction of letting him know he was caught on video. The store manager let me put a copy of the video on my phone so I have proof I could show him but if he's mentally ill I don't know how he would react if confronted.

I will lock my car all the time from now on.
This city is going in the toilet but I have no idea why would you leave your car unlocked for 5 mins. There is no upside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 06:49 PM

87 posts, read 26,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Unlike you, I don’t have to worry about money. Car gets broken into? I go get it fixed same day. As for being demented because robberies or car break-ins doesn’t have me crying about “out of control crime”, I’m enjoying myself and friends at restaurants, theatres, and parks. And I’m doing it all on mass transit because driving sucks here.

Take Airborne’s advice and move. The city deserves better.
This is the most insane and dumbest thing I’ve ever read on the internet. That’s quite an accomplishment. Congrats.

BTW, let me know where you live and what you drive. I’m interested in taking some freebies from your car. No biggie, right?

Old 10-30-2023, 06:56 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLucian View Post
This is the most insane and dumbest thing I’ve ever read on the internet. That’s quite an accomplishment. Congrats.

BTW, let me know where you live and what you drive. I’m interested in taking some freebies from your car. No biggie, right?
Committed to the cause. Check out Kefir’s and Cida’s posts. There are truly people who believe in the crap they spew.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-31-2023, 06:48 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispynyc View Post
Almost every day you hear about a fatal shooting, fatal stabbing, or some sort of violence happening here. Has the aftermath of the pandemic just made people in NYC lose their mind & become more violent? I’ve been living here for 26 years, and idk if I’m exaggerating, but I just don’t feel safe here anymore.

I know violence is everywhere. It just feels like it’s escalated and nothing is being done. Every day is a gamble for New Yorkers.

Don't feel bad. Been there.
Living in a safe neighborhood is all it takes until the crime eventually spreads to where you live and Surprise !
The worries and anxiety sets in. Add a lock to your door. Stay off the streets at night. You get the picture.
You can point the finger but the best thing I did when confronted by a neighborhood spiraling downward into decay
was to simply leave. Suggestion? Maybe to another neighborhood or out of the city.

Me?

I've been slowly packing my bags......................Best Wishes.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Ughh. I'm so sick and tired of hearing how this is all a product of the covid pandemic. Hogwash! Nonsense!

Been a long time coming, as I see it!

2008/09 ish: Obama speaks out against the Cambridge police dept. regarding a stop/frisk type incident and says they acted "stupidly." No American president had ever attacked local law enforcement this way. Obama has now fired the first "bullet," if you will, against American law enforcement.

Nice Job Islander.

Theres no justice left.

Just us and Themocrats ......................

Old 10-31-2023, 09:24 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,657,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy-_-bloom View Post
Hochul stated she wants a strict one-party New York which I presume includes the citizens

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dscyPia-oUY
What an absolute idiot.

That isn't the way a GOVERNOR should comport him/herself.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:40 PM

337 posts, read 357,107 times
What exists now that didn't exist in the 70s and 80s? Cameras EVERYWHERE, Social Media, smartphones, and 24/7 access to news. Seinfeld once joked in the 80s that "he couldn't believe that newspaper editors were able to fit the all of the news in the world on the same number of pages in a newspaper each day. 'If one more thing happened, we'd (newspaper editors) be screwed' ".

Even if crime was down across the board, with all of the above, "it wouldn't feel like it".

Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
A guy that recently broke into my car is walking my neighborhood almost every other day always looking at cars and other stuff. And we can't take this kind of rat off the street.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
What an absolute idiot.

That isn't the way a GOVERNOR should comport him/herself.
She sounds like she's always got food in her mouth.............

Old 11-02-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
A guy that recently broke into my car is walking my neighborhood almost every other day always looking at cars and other stuff. And we can't take this kind of rat off the street.
Charles Bronson was the man .................RIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City