Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 02:36 PM

26 posts, read 19,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I've been seeing more activity on the streets.

The Pandemic has caused a shift in morale and attitude. People are less friendly and trusting than before. Not that they were either before, but much less so now. More hostility and anxiety in general. Leads to more incidents.

But hearing about it more is probably a factor too with the cell phone cameras and multiple modes of documenting day to day activity.
Social media and the legacy media have a helping hand in voicing extremist elements of the country, and drowning those without a voice. Despite the abundance of information, the consequences of the internet is causing a moral decline since a lot of people have a hard time practicing self control and empathy.

Especially with the city’s not my problem and IDGAF attitude/mentality contributing to unhinged individuals being free to do what they want with little consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 02:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,225,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco_nyc View Post
Especially with the city’s not my problem and IDGAF attitude/mentality contributing to unhinged individuals being free to do what they want with little consequences.
It's really hurting the fabric of the city. Pretty soon people are going to abandon this place when ish really hits the fan because a bunch of apathetic transplant hipsters aren't going to stick around when the going gets tough.

Old 09-22-2022, 04:26 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Crime in NYC this year is highest since 2005-2006 expect homicides and shootings.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:19 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
The proliferation of guns is giving us a proliferation of gun-crimes. This is NOT rocket science.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:28 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The proliferation of guns is giving us a proliferation of gun-crimes. This is NOT rocket science.
Yeah those damned ghetto NRA members shooting up all the innocents.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-25-2022, 08:50 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times
Crime is happening right in front of police precincts and no one is putting two and two together? It’s literally obvious the police are not responding to things in a timely matter or even at all because they are still upset about some BLM protest that happened a year or something ago.

Their salaries were not diminished.

They are just upset that people are now looking over their budgets and questioning their spending. they are letting crime wreak havoc on the city as push back on current budget surveillance. As if I civilians are the ones sitting down going through their budget one by one.

So yeah crime is getting bad because nothing is being done about it. If I was a criminal and read that crime was happening right in front of a police precinct and nothing was happening. I would see that as a greenlight to keep committing more crimes because nothing is being done about it. But people don’t want to admit that civilians are suffering, because cops do not want to do their jobs

Someone said that a bunch of cops are quitting. But I see that as a good thing. Let the cops who were upset about BLM protests/not doing their jobs go home and let REAL people come in who want to actually do their jobs do their jobs & actually help crime get off the streets!

Old 09-25-2022, 09:22 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
This “good thing” you speak of sure seems to be working out for NYC huh? Lol

Allow me to clear something up for you. Those of us who left after BLM got the much better end of the stick, by a long shot. Only a complete dolt would believe otherwise. Pension, freedom, and relaxation at 40-ish vs. more years answering to a public that hates you.

No amount of mental gymnastics can twist that dichotomy into a loss for retiring cops.

Since BLM you’ve paid me nearly $200,000 with the only requirement being I open my eyes every morning. Yeah… I’m the idiot. Bwahahhahahah

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:28 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times
I didn’t say anyone was an idiot . I said those who left due to BLM good for them let people who want to work come in and work. We need people who aren’t afraid of some protesters coming in and doing what they said they would do. Let’s get these streets safe again

I’m happy that those who left due to BLM left. (Imagine fire fighters simply not responding to fires due to some BLM protests. I’d also be happy if they quit and let people come on who want to work and save lives - save lives!)

I’m glad you have a decent pension and can take care of your family.
My friends daughter just became a cop she’s excited

Being a cop isn’t easy neither is being a doctor performing heart surgery on a 12 hour shift. It wasn’t easy for nurses to watch people die every min during the height of covid. Flighting fires in California during summer seasons are hard as hell. Not everyone can do these jobs so once someone sees it’s too much for them and they want to bounce then I’m happy to see that. I’d rather have someone who is mentally & physically equipped to do a heavy duty job then someone who doesn’t want to be there in the first place because those people will obviously do a bad job.

Last edited by Gilmoregal; 09-25-2022 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
I think many are also missing key point here. I've spoken to a few individuals who were around during the murder heyday in the early 1990's and both said the same thing. Yes, violent crime, numbers wise, was much higher. However, the vast, vast majority of that crime was concentrated in a handful of neighborhoods and during specific times. Everybody who had no business being in those neighborhoods, never ventured into them. Someone in Mill Basin or Bay Ridge never worried about murders or robberies in Bed Stuy or Bushwhick.

Nowadays, crime seems more random. This is a substantial change and a lower level of random crime effects the average individual much more than a higher level of (mostly) targeted crime.

Is this perception or reality? I don't know and it'd be hard to prove statistically if the city doesn't keep records of this. However, perception often trumps reality and the explosion in homeless (many mentally ill) individuals on the streets, the no bail policy, the city effectively legalizing shoplifting, lack of traffic enforcement, etc. all play into this reality.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:45 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As soon as I mention New Hampshire (or a number of other states), your argument turns to ****. Not a very good argument.

The "proliferation" of guns means nothing unless all firearms are banned/ become completely inaccesible. It's an argument for statistically illiterate individuals. If I give you 1,000,000 handguns, will that change your propensity to commit crime as opposed to having 1 handgun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City