Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:32 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,551,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I would really have to wonder about a man who claimed he didn't really get along with other men because he found them all to be domineering, sports-obsessed philanderers while he was of course "not like that" and much more comfortable as one of the girls.
That's true, and it does bring up the question of why a woman being "one of the guys" is cool, but a man being "one of the girls" is laughable. It's that little bias that still exists that men stuff is admirable and women stuff is drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:27 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,432,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've spent my entire career working in healthcare. Healthcare is largely a workforce made up of women.

In my 20 years of working, starting as an hourly associate and now as a Director at a very large hospital network( I've worked in 6 different hospitals)........I can see why many women are not friends with other women.

Some of the nastiest and most negitive people working in the hopitals are women. It's hard for me to believe some of them have children and boyfriends/husbands. It's vey toxic to say the least. I am not saying men are not toxic, but I can clearly see why many women don't have women friends.

The level of meaness and cattiness is overbearing at times. It's actually unforunate because many of them think their behavior is "just fine".

What are your theories?
I can't agree with you more on healthcare women. I think there must be a section of nursing school that instructs them on how to behave in the nastiest way possible. It's appalling when you consider that these adult Mean Girls are responsible for caring for sick people. I theorize that nurses are paid too much in lots of places, so you have people with an associates' level education making executive salaries and that engenders enormous amounts of entitlement.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,687,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I can't agree with you more on healthcare women. I think there must be a section of nursing school that instructs them on how to behave in the nastiest way possible. It's appalling when you consider that these adult Mean Girls are responsible for caring for sick people. I theorize that nurses are paid too much in lots of places, so you have people with an associates' level education making executive salaries and that engenders enormous amounts of entitlement.
I worked healthcare myself for 6 years. My coworkers, majority of them female, were cliquey, back stabbing and small minded. Those points were part of the reason I ended up going back to production, in 2008. Yes, women were there too.....with the same traits. But I wasn't in as close job environments as I was in HC.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,066,781 times
I don't work in the healthcare profession, but my friend is a dr and at one establishment she worked at, she said the nurses would refer to her as 'the fat doctor' (she's not fat). She said the nurses hated the doctors and were incredibly rude and hateful. My friend is a very nice person and doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

As far as I go, I have moved on from most close friend's I've had throughout the years (all women). I have lost all desires to make new friends...I have some good friends who are couples and who are friends with both my husband and me, and that is enough. I've been burned, stood up, and deceived too many times. I don't know if I just had horrible taste in friends, or perhaps it's something I did wrong...either way, I just don't care anymore and don't need unnecessary friends in my life. My husband is my best friend.

ETA: funny story...last year I went to this music festival with my husband and 3 of our guy friends...and his one guy friend brought his new girl friend. I felt neutral about her coming along, but the second I met her I felt like she had a little 'competition' in her, they way she looked me up & down. I'm not about that crap. She told me at one point that she liked me, and that she usually hates women because they're 'drama queens.' Later that evening, she caused a whole bunch of drama because she went to find her boyfriend, and when he came back to the car, we didn't all freak out & go looking for her. She attempted to make up some story about being followed, and later confessed that she made it all up. Funny how that sh** works out sometimes.

Last edited by jrsydevil82; 08-24-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,432,284 times
To address the OP: I think most women who say such things are striving to be seen as the "cool girl," the one who tolerates dude behavior and acts like a dude in an attempt to be attractive to dudes.

If you're a decent human being, you have friends of both sexes.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 15,295 times
I am sorry it's not relevant with original post cause I am in contrary.
I wonder WHY I'm woman I have a lot of woman friends but I don't have men friends?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,687,507 times
Women can be vicious!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM

828 posts, read 912,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Women can be vicious!
Men can be rapists?

Men can be physically abusive?

Men invented war?

I mean, good and bad has nothing to do with gender.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,187,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieEvan View Post
I am sorry it's not relevant with original post cause I am in contrary.
I wonder WHY I'm woman I have a lot of woman friends but I don't have men friends?
It might be because you're interested in only "girly" things. Shopping at the mall, mani/pedi spa days, lunch out... I'd rather take a beating than waste my time and money on any of that! I like to be active.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,845,203 times
"But yeah, I was originally attracted to them.
And they put the "chill" brakes on me... but we discovered that we LIKED each other and had information for each other... so we remained friends through the years. If we're simply blind slaves to our biology, then we miss the growth and wisdom half the world has to share with us!"

This is wisdom. ^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships