Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
In my early 20s I worked in the stockroom of a large organization and the only way to advance was working in an open office - no cubicles - of women; about 50 of them. A lot of men said it must have been great.

I saw so many miserable and insane women I dislike most today for the reason. I saw women bully each other until they broke out into shouting matches and then fighting as in the halls at HS. They especially picked on the ones who made it known they were seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis for some various reason. Probably for being locked in a room with 50 other stark raving mad cows.
American workplaces must be different. In my 20 years of being employed, across various industries, I've never seen anything close to this kind of behaviour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
One thing I have harped about to my daughters is dont date men you work with and dont get chummy with the women outside of work. Each one has had repercussions from not taking this advice.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
One thing I have harped about to my daughters is dont date men you work with and dont get chummy with the women outside of work. Each one has had repercussions from not taking this advice.

Friendships in the workplace that move to outside of the workplace is a precarious bit of business. People have no loyalty when they have to compete with others, plain and simple. Their livelyhood comes first, and I get that. Seen too many women and men get thrown under the bus because they were good friends with someone at work who ended up throwing them under said bus.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
In my early 20s I worked in the stockroom of a large organization and the only way to advance was working in an open office - no cubicles - of women; about 50 of them. A lot of men said it must have been great.

I saw so many miserable and insane women I dislike most today for the reason. I saw women bully each other until they broke out into shouting matches and then fighting as in the halls at HS. They especially picked on the ones who made it known they were seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis for some various reason. Probably for being locked in a room with 50 other stark raving mad cows.
You really think men don't do this too? It's a personality thing, not a gender thing. Some people are vicious and backstabbers. I've met my share of them in both genders.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Friendships in the workplace that move to outside of the workplace is a precarious bit of business. People have no loyalty when they have to compete with others, plain and simple. Their livelyhood comes first, and I get that. Seen too many women and men get thrown under the bus because they were good friends with someone at work who ended up throwing them under said bus.
Exactly, it happens with both genders.

I can call on my female friends to come take care when I am sick. If I have an emergency or need help with my child, they are there for me. Good friends and good people of either gender will do the same. If you dislike an entire gender, there is something going on with you. There will be nice and mean people in both genders.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

828 posts, read 908,056 times
Some of these comments are making me feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I am incredulous at the sexism in these posts. I am sure all sexist posts will be denied and be touted as "just saying the facts" or something.

I think the pressure on women is different than for men, and much more intense. Think of how society treats average looking women and how it treats average looking men. How it treats never married, childless women and how it treats their male counterparts. I think this breeds some competition, though I completely believe men in general are just as competitive, it's just that they had more advantages than women since the beginning of time. As for being emotional, yes, perhaps our biology can take the credit for that, but I don't think it has to be a negative thing.

Cruelty and proneness to gossip is absolutely not a woman thing. I've met my fair share of disloyal, gossip-prone men and plenty of mean ones. To be honest, I can't believe I actually have to type something like this in 2015. You'd think we're past that. Maybe one reason I don't have some of the issues others are describing is that I don't treat women as guilty until proven innocent. Maybe women are sensing your suspicion or aversion to them, and that's why you're having problems? Not excusing nasty behavior, ever, but it's something to consider.

Oh, and one of my biggest pet peeves in life is women who say all their friends are guys or something to that effect. It's usually them that give us a bad name.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM

671 posts, read 900,778 times
I also work in a hospital and often times hear the females whispering in the halls to each other about other co-workers.

The men just complain about the company in general, not each other.

I think men have different humor, too. Maybe it's my circle of friends, but we say very mean things about each other (and ourselves) for the benefit of the group. We make fun of each other all the time. The sort of stuff that women get insulted by.

Last edited by Shutout; 08-17-2015 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM

671 posts, read 900,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm a retired teacher, also a workforce made up primarily of women. With a few, very rare exceptions, all of the women that I have worked with are kind, sweet, compassionate people. Many would literally give you the shirt of their back if you needed it.

I have only known one teacher who was mean or catty out of the hundreds of female teachers that I have worked with since I started teaching 40 years ago.

Is it possible that the problem is you?
Teachers generally teach alone, without their co-workers, right? Breaks, meetings, etc, you'll see each other, but it's not even close to how often nurses and their support staff are almost in contact and communication with each other.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Agreed! I think more people need to take this to heart. I've never socialized with any of my co-workers outside of work-related functions, and haven't dated any of the women I've worked with (though I've wanted to!). Work is work, and my personal life is my personal life. Your co-workers are NOT your friends, and will turn on you in a New York minute if given half the chance.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've spent my entire career working in healthcare. Healthcare is largely a workforce made up of women.

In my 20 years of working, starting as an hourly associate and now as a Director at a very large hospital network( I've worked in 6 different hospitals)........I can see why many women are not friends with other women.

Some of the nastiest and most negitive people working in the hopitals are women. It's hard for me to believe some of them have children and boyfriends/husbands. It's vey toxic to say the least. I am not saying men are not toxic, but I can clearly see why many women don't have women friends.

The level of meaness and cattiness is overbearing at times. It's actually unforunate because many of them think their behavior is "just fine".

What are your theories?
Women often are competitive against each other and often don't play as a team. Also many women don't separate business and personal.

Speaking as a woman who had a successful career in a male dominated profession, I would have loved to have had more women friends. It is hard to beat having the sisterhood.

But it is what it is and I treasure the friends I had through the years. But men just see things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships