Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,790,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I have female friends but never at work - women are horrible at work - everyone of them was fake and backstabbing - its just how women are on the job. Also- I don't get my hair and nails "done" - I get my hair cut once a year and do my own nails - don't understand women who are obsessed with themselves.
No it's not how women are on the job it's how SOME women are on the job. I have great female friends from work. I never had an issue working for or with females.

I have to say I'm surprised (and appalled) by the amount of rancor from women about women on this thread.

And yes, I'm female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,921,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
There have been many women presidents and prime ministers around the world. It seems you have a very narrow worldview.

At this time in our country she is pretty much right on target. Other countries have had women presidents and prime ministers....fine.
Look what our latest female SOS did. BENGHAZI?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,161,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No it's not how women are on the job it's how SOME women are on the job. I have great female friends from work. I never had an issue working for or with females.

I have to say I'm surprised (and appalled) by the amount of rancor from women about women on this thread.

And yes, I'm female.
There have been some women who I have not got along with in the workplace, but at every place I have worked, I have developed strong friendships with my colleagues, out of the workplace (both women and men).

I'm not really appalled. I think it speaks volumes on how so many people don't have the ability to separate their anecdotal "evidence", and think its perfectly reasonably to label an entire demographic. ()

In terms of relating to women, I have a wide range of interests, that often fall outside the stereotypical interests of what women should like... always have.. but who cares... I certainly don't feel the need to put others down just because we don't share the same interests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
At this time in our country she is pretty much right on target. Other countries have had women presidents and prime ministers....fine.
Look what our latest female SOS did. BENGHAZI?
That poster suggested that it would be "scary" for a woman to be President. Many countries have had women leaders. Are you suggesting that there has never been a male President who might have had a questionable political past?

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 08-19-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've spent my entire career working in healthcare. Healthcare is largely a workforce made up of women.

In my 20 years of working, starting as an hourly associate and now as a Director at a very large hospital network( I've worked in 6 different hospitals)........I can see why many women are not friends with other women.

Some of the nastiest and most negitive people working in the hopitals are women. It's hard for me to believe some of them have children and boyfriends/husbands. It's vey toxic to say the least. I am not saying men are not toxic, but I can clearly see why many women don't have women friends.

The level of meaness and cattiness is overbearing at times. It's actually unforunate because many of them think their behavior is "just fine".

What are your theories?
Accept it for what it is and make your life a lot easier.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:19 PM

56 posts, read 69,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
That poster suggested that it would be "scary" for a woman to be President. Many countries have had women leaders. Are you suggesting that there has never been a male President who might have had a questionable political past?
Well sure there have been and are female leaders but certainly not to the extent of being the leader of the U.S.

I do have concerns about women in positions like these, as well as having a woman hold the presidency, because (generally speaking) we are ruled by our emotions and I question the ability of a woman to "hit the big red button" when needed. A moment's hesitation can cost yours or an innocent's life... If a 12yr old girl was aiming a gun at you, could you honestly say you wouldn't hesitate to shoot her? I know I can't. If I encountered a baby-raping piece of trash and was responsible for making the arrest after child services came in to remove the children, could I not just "accidentally" shoot him? At the very least, not pistol whip him? Nah. Probably not. In war, could I shoot into a crowd of women and children as a group of deranged gunmen emerges? I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Part of being a woman is being the fairer sex. We are nurturing, loving, compassionate, and empathetic by nature; there are warrior women, women that are tough as nails and could put some of the toughest men to shame, but for the most part our sex is the softer one. JMHO

Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,421,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Well sure there have been and are female leaders but certainly not to the extent of being the leader of the U.S.

I do have concerns about women in positions like these, as well as having a woman hold the presidency, because (generally speaking) we are ruled by our emotions and I question the ability of a woman to "hit the big red button" when needed. A moment's hesitation can cost yours or an innocent's life... If a 12yr old girl was aiming a gun at you, could you honestly say you wouldn't hesitate to shoot her? I know I can't. If I encountered a baby-raping piece of trash and was responsible for making the arrest after child services came in to remove the children, could I not just "accidentally" shoot him? At the very least, not pistol whip him? Nah. Probably not. In war, could I shoot into a crowd of women and children as a group of deranged gunmen emerges? I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Part of being a woman is being the fairer sex. We are nurturing, loving, compassionate, and empathetic by nature; there are warrior women, women that are tough as nails and could put some of the toughest men to shame, but for the most part our sex is the softer one. JMHO
Please don't confuse your own abilities or inclinations to all women. Some women are suited for leadership of the U.S. And some aren't. Just like some men are suited and some men aren't.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,187,791 times
I have never been a girly-girl. Nothing bores me more than going shopping (I pride myself on living frugally) or going out to eat (it's not only a waste of money, but fattening). I'd rather be active -- hike, bike, kayak -- and talk to people then, or not talk, as I'm not a big talker. I prefer the friendship of men because they're straight-forward as opposed to fake (read: "polite"), generally kind rather than catty, and active rather than passive. No just sitting around eating, spending money, and talking trash about other women with men...

The problem is that they invariably want MORE than friendship, and I don't necessarily (although I'm straight, I'm not generally attracted to the men I like as casual friends), so it ends sooner or later when they realize it won't be progressing to anything else. They find some woman to sleep with and end up in a relationship with a woman who doesn't want another "woman friend" in the picture, however platonic.

My conclusion is that women like men as friends more than men like women as friends.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,003,110 times
A friendship across genders is possible, if the male is a Quirky-alone.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,494,818 times
Woman can be very catty and bitchy, sounds like my sister before she was married she was friends with mostly guys.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,185,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The problem is that they invariably want MORE than friendship, and I don't necessarily (although I'm straight, I'm not generally attracted to the men I like as casual friends), so it ends sooner or later when they realize it won't be progressing to anything else. They find some woman to sleep with and end up in a relationship with a woman who doesn't want another "woman friend" in the picture, however platonic.

My conclusion is that women like men as friends more than men like women as friends.
Straight guy's perspective here: You are absolutely correct. I personally don't see the point of being platonic "friends" with a woman. There's just no reason to do that. The time I'm spending talking/going out casually with a woman who's just a platonic friend could be better spent trying to get together with a woman who wants more than just friendship. That's just the way it is. I guess men & women are wired differently...

The only way a platonic friendship with a woman would even possibly work would be if I wasn't attracted to her physically. But, if that were the case, I wouldn't be hanging out with her in the first place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships