Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
"But yeah, I was originally attracted to them.
And they put the "chill" brakes on me... but we discovered that we LIKED each other and had information for each other... so we remained friends through the years. If we're simply blind slaves to our biology, then we miss the growth and wisdom half the world has to share with us!"

This is wisdom. ^^^^^^
That's all fine until the guy gets a girlfriend, which he invariably will. SHE won't want the "girl friend" hanging around him imparting her wisdom... Which is stupid, because if she wanted him sexually, the new GF wouldn't even be in the picture... But the new GF never sees it like this; take it from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
I'm older, like the quoted CDer so it stops working like that as the years pass. I did have that dynamic when younger.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM

54 posts, read 89,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It might be because you're interested in only "girly" things. Shopping at the mall, mani/pedi spa days, lunch out... I'd rather take a beating than waste my time and money on any of that! I like to be active.

Yeah and women are 'inactive'. I'm sure watching sports on TV is the most active thing most men do. I am definitely more physically active than the average male (or female).

Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 AM

208 posts, read 257,889 times
One of the posters said, "most married women with children don't have much in common with footloose-and-fancy-free single/childless women". Biggest fallacy of all time.

Most single/childless women are NOT footloose and fancy free. Personally I spent many years taking care of an aging parent and I was far busier than many married women with children, that is, older children (I can see that women with babies or toddlers might be busier). Most married women have husbands to help with household tasks and they eat out a lot or do takeout. They might spend a lot of time shuttling their around to friends or having friends come over but that isn't a major necessity in my opinion, they could cut back on that stuff to be less busy if they wanted. I was taking care of an aging parent's medical care plus the parent's house, my house, and doing all of the tasks involved for both properties such as cleaning, grass cutting, car maintenance, food shopping, cooking, and laundry. I didn't have a partner or spouse to help. I also was working 50-60 hour weeks.

I think married women don't get along with single/childless women because they simply do not care about women who aren't in the "club". Let's face it.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Most women don't like one another so I am not surprised by this.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazda View Post
Yeah and women are 'inactive'. I'm sure watching sports on TV is the most active thing most men do. I am definitely more physically active than the average male (or female).
Hey, maybe it's just where I live (in the south), but for the most part here, women shop, go out to eat, and talk about other women behind their backs; that's about it! BOR-ING.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM

"Most single/childless women are NOT footloose and fancy free. Personally I spent many years taking care of an aging parent and I was far busier than many married women with children..."

I didn't mean idle or without responsibilities; I just meant unattached to the traditional family unit.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Sometimes it is easy to confuse short term female "buddies" with long term female friends. It can be a painful lesson to learn.

Over the years it has been easy to have lots of "social buddies" ---exercise buddies, walking buddies, social activities buddies, neighborhood bbq buddies, garden consult buddies, antiquing buddies, lunch buddies, shopping buddies, work buddies, parent of kid in same activity buddy, spouse of your spouse's shared activity or work, etc...those type buddy friendships are centered around that activity and take continual participation to maintain.

True female fiendships are something entirely different. Those are special and last a lifetime without continual maintenance. It has been my experience that few women are good at being those type of friends. I have several and consider myself very lucky.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:32 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
To address the OP: I think most women who say such things are striving to be seen as the "cool girl," the one who tolerates dude behavior and acts like a dude in an attempt to be attractive to dudes.

If you're a decent human being, you have friends of both sexes.
In my experience, the ones who say this are ones who like to surround themselves with men for the attention, and don't make any effort to relate to other women.

When I was a teen it was different but I don't remember the last time I sat around talking about frivolous topics with other women.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Straight guy's perspective here: You are absolutely correct. I personally don't see the point of being platonic "friends" with a woman. There's just no reason to do that. The time I'm spending talking/going out casually with a woman who's just a platonic friend could be better spent trying to get together with a woman who wants more than just friendship. That's just the way it is. I guess men & women are wired differently...

The only way a platonic friendship with a woman would even possibly work would be if I wasn't attracted to her physically. But, if that were the case, I wouldn't be hanging out with her in the first place...
What if the female was funny, intelligent, or just plain cool?

Only worth associating with if a vagina is at the end of it?

Do you actually GET how deranged this looks? Maybe you should join the Army...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships