Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 07:26 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,994 times

Advertisements

Sigh. I just get very frustrated with all the sweeping generalizations that "those people whose brains turned to mush -- it's because they sat around doing nothing all day."

Unfortunately my mother was living proof that this is not necessarily true. She was VERY busy after she and my dad retired. She spent her entire 60s involved in a ton of stuff. When she wasn't sewing a quilt, she was doing landscaping or wallpapering the dining room or teaching a kid to read. Oh and she was the health nut in the family too. Then she started losing her mental faculties at around age 70 and by age 72 it was bad enough to be officially diagnosed as Alzheimers (well, as officially as it can without an autopsy).

Lots of humble bragging going in this thread -- but for those of you who are single handedly rewiring a Boeing jet engine in your back yard or translating the Koran, I sincerely hope what happened to my mom doesn't happen to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:21 AM

554 posts, read 623,609 times
Some people just like to relax in the house.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
I'm like this and I know other people don't understand it. I don't understand zooming around the globe like some crazed bunny, generally doing not much of any import and boring everyone with "I'm so busy" comments. I don't know why running around shopping in mindless materialism, sports or anything else is seen as "right" and not is seen as "wrong".

-------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------
introverts .................................................. ............... extroverts
.................................................. ................................... <--extroverts: "what is wrong with those people?"

I mean, its not like playing golf is saving the world or has any real worth in life. So you went and batted a ball around. Now what. Why does that not compare to reading a novel? (I have no issue with golf, I played for awhile). People like what they like.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,460,743 times
I do that now and I'm not even retired.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 12,412 times
Your dad is probably tired of working his whole life. Just let him relax. If he gets the edge to do something, I’m sure he’ll go into it. You could talk to him and suggest some things he could do.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:07 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday

some people like that, and not everyone wants to do something all the time.
he isn't hurting you, don't worry about it.

sometimes i like to sit and do nothing, sometimes nothing is fun.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:51 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
I've had quit a few days left for Vacation, so I've been off for a while already, and it's not working out well. I'll be retiring next year...and once I move and get settled in, I'll have to find a part time job...need that structure of getting up, having coffee and showering, and off to work.

I do love sitting around not doing anything for a while, and love to read, but that gets old, so.....

If you enjoy what your doing and people criticize you, that's they're problem....I can't get into people nosing around for information about my personal and privet life...it's none of their business, and can only sit and listen to people complaining for a short time...what I love to do, is listen to people talk about interesting subjects, things I myself am not familiar with....love to hear the stories people have to share.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:32 AM

19 posts, read 14,202 times
Let him live his life the way he wants he has worked most of his life most probably. It can be important for people who retire to keep social however if he is happy sitting round watching and tv and using his smartphone then so be it. He will probably be grateful for the quiet time he has. So I would let him be it is his life. Some retired people are social and some arent.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:47 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Sorry. People. I'm claustrophobic just typing it.
Twenty five people living in the property? I hope they live in a mansion or own an apartment building.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,257 times
Quote:
My husband is like this and it drives me crazy. Lazy!!! I always have to be doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships