Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,504 times

Advertisements

This is not unusual.

My Grandfather in part died due to retirement. I believe he enjoyed what he did but he was forced to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He's not just staring into space. He's doing something, if he's watching tv or doing something on his smartphone. He must do something else, though.

Who does his yard work? Yard guy

His housework? Maid/my mom

His meals? My mom

His shopping? My mom

Does he do any exercise? Supposed to golf twice a week and go to gym but cancels a lot.

Does he ever talk on the phone w/friends or family? Not daily

Go to a movie? No

D.
Op, this sounds like my dad, so I'd like to chime in bc it worries us all (his family).

He loved his work. Worked till 71 or thereabouts and seems to have the attitude that there's nothing for him to do if he does not have his work.
So he'll get up, get ready, read the news (repeatedly on various different news outlets/computer/actual newspaper), watch the news, listen to the news...it's like an endless news cycle on at that house. In the evening there may be some tv shows he watches. Occasionally he will tell me he completed a book. Occasionally he'll cook something or go buy something. My kids go see them at least once a week, but eventually he has to take a nap (no exercise = deconditioning = endless naps).

It's odd...like he's biding time and just binging on the news. It's like without structure, he can't get anything done (something I can totally relate to - structure makes me way more productive) besides eating chips and watching the news.

He's a fairly healthy 78 years old (has never had surgery, never been to the ER, check-ups/stress tests great, etc), but this lifestyle will cut his years short and there are so many people in his life who enjoy him and want him to be around.

Man, if he just took a walk everyday, that would be something.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:35 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Op, this sounds like my dad, so I'd like to chime in bc it worries us all (his family).

He loved his work. Worked till 71 or thereabouts and seems to have the attitude that there's nothing for him to do if he does not have his work.
So he'll get up, get ready, read the news (repeatedly on various different news outlets/computer/actual newspaper), watch the news, listen to the news...it's like an endless news cycle on at that house. In the evening there may be some tv shows he watches. Occasionally he will tell me he completed a book. Occasionally he'll cook something or go buy something. My kids go see them at least once a week, but eventually he has to take a nap (no exercise = deconditioning = endless naps).

It's odd...like he's biding time and just binging on the news. It's like without structure, he can't get anything done (something I can totally relate to - structure makes me way more productive) besides eating chips and watching the news.

He's a fairly healthy 78 years old (has never had surgery, been to the ER, check-ups/stress tests great, etc), but this lifestyle will cut his years short and there are so many people in his life who enjoy him and want him to be around.

Man, if he just took a walk everyday, that would be something.

I’d still like to know what the op does all day since she doesn’t work,and lives in a room in her parents house.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
i’d still like to know what the op does all day since she doesn’t work,and lives in a room in her parents house.
+1.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
I know a 23 year old guy like this. It's sad. He doesn't work or go to school, he just sits at home and plays video games all day and doesn't shower. I don't understand it. He got invited to his friend's wedding and didn't go. He literally doesn't leave the house. I don't understand ...

Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I know a 23 year old guy like this. It's sad. He doesn't work or go to school, he just sits at home and plays video games all day and doesn't shower. I don't understand it. He got invited to his friend's wedding and didn't go. He literally doesn't leave the house. I don't understand ...
From afar, it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis, but I think there is a very strong probability that he is suffering from Agoraphobia:
https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/agoraphobia#1

As to his apparent aversion to showering, that can be one of the effects of Clinical Depression.
I think that this guy needs to see a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist a.s.a.p.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
How does he support himself? If you say his parents, that is the problem. I would not allow my daughter to EVER do anything like that. Depression or not, get off your butt and do something.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
How does he support himself? If you say his parents, that is the problem. I would not allow my daughter to EVER do anything like that. Depression or not, get off your butt and do something.
Parents, yeah but they don't work either - lol, so the govt supports them basically.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
That sounds like depression.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:42 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
My example was anecdotal at best, but the people in my extended family that have stayed active - whether physically or mentally (or both) tend to be in better general health than those that have led "do nothing" retirements.
yes, and it makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships