Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 AM

922 posts, read 793,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowwind21 View Post
As we get older our bodies no longer do what we want them to do. I want to climb mountains, hike, be out in the sun, etc,but life before 50 has taken a serious toll on my body, not to mention auto immune disease. It's not that we don't want to, sometimes we can't.
I am living proof of this. When I first became disabled to the point that I was no longer ambulatory, we were living in a second floor apartment. Going up and down that flight of stairs was excruciating, so I rarely left the apartment. I kept myself busy with reading, crafts, cooking, online games, etc.

We moved to another state, and now live in a house. I get out a lot more but there are still times my body is just not up to it. I do "sit around" because I am in a wheelchair, but I am rarely doing nothing. Because my mother and my grandmother both began their decline into dementia when they were not much older than I am now, I do everything I can to keep my mind sharp, and I am always learning new things.

Growing old is hard, and everyone handles it differently. Who knows why your dad just sits around doing nothing, maybe that's just his way of dealing with his changing reality. In any case, it is his life and he has earned the right to live it however he wishes whether or not you agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I disagree, as I used to be a get up and go type of person, always doing something, rushing around, yada, yada.....worked very hard, extremely physical in my work and play...like riding horses, working construction, bailing hay

I've suddenly learned that it's so energizing, just to sit and do nothing...and love it....there is an amazing peace, and quiet to it....self soothing, and detoxes my whole being...it's called relaxation...and so glad I found it....

So in the later years of life, now, I'm suffering, with joint pain...and can no longer do much...in the way of physical work...

I do miss being active....but have learned to accept it....
In the later years of my life...please.

It's all mental

Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I think you have a right to be concerned for your father.
Does he have an iPad or tablet? There's tons of games that are great for the brain and you can also download books. My grandparents love theirs. I think even if physically someone can't keep active, keeping the brain active is important.

But does he seem happy and in good spirits? Or does him seem just lost or sad?

Try lunch or something once a week to get him out of the house. Does he enjoy watching sports? You could go to a sports game together.

POST didn’t come across as concerned but more judgemtantal . It’s not like the op is claiming the fathers habits are New either.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 AM

323 posts, read 222,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
Why are you so judgemental???is he happy?? Then leave him be. Geez!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 AM

323 posts, read 222,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
You might consider that this is the first signs of depression or dementia. My dad was this way about 5 years before we started seeing dementia symptoms. Some of it was that he was losing his speaking ability and forgetting recent things.
Why does someone need to be depressed just because they are content being at home? Another nasty person like OP

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
OP, I think you have enough problems and shortcomings of your own that you should be focusing on. Like, getting a job? Moving out and supporting yourself?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
And what would he have to say if he chose to pass judgment on YOU?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
Then don't do that.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
My step father is retired military, doesn’t do jack squat all day. Eats, gets fat, watches sports and tv shows, has diabetes, plays fantasy football, etc.

I would not want a retirement like that but it’s his choice and he has earned the right to lay around the house and be a slob. Its probably why I haven’t seen him in years

Old 04-18-2018, 12:15 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
So your dad annoys you because he is doing nothing and your mom annoys you because she is doing too much and complains about it.

Seems like it is time for you to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships