Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM

24,649 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes indeed. I find it hard to believe any of us appreciate others deciding how we should spend our time.
When the cost is someone's health, I think folks have a right to be concerned.

I never heard of a healthy person who just lays around the house and does nothing. These folks are loading up on junk food, watching TV all day, getting diabetes and visits to the ER room, and taking years of their life off the table from their sedentary lifestyle.

Your taxes are being used to pay the ambulance/ER visits from these people who are slowing killing themselves. And when they pass away tragically and prematurely from heart disease, you're going to wish you did more to intervene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I never heard of a healthy person who just lays around the house and does nothing. These folks are loading up on junk food, watching TV all day, getting diabetes and visits to the ER room, and taking years of their life off the table from their sedentary lifestyle. Your taxes are being used to pay the ambulance/ER visits from these people who are slowing killing themselves.
My oldest friend from college--to whom I referred earlier, and who is almost totally sedentary--suffers from elevated A-1-C levels, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity. His diet consists mostly of things like Chicken Nuggets, cold cuts, and other types of highly-processed, high-sodium foods.

By contrast, I cook "from scratch" and eat a lot of fruits and salads. When I have attempted to counsel him--in a very diplomatic manner--about his dietary and lifestyle choices, he has told me that he "doesn't have time to cook" and he has essentially told me to mind my own business.

Unfortunately, I cannot be my brother's keeper--even when I see that he is slowly but surely killing himself.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:48 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
You can't force someone to be any different than they are, especially as age increases. If there's an issue with clinical depression or anxiety or some other health-related malady, there is help and in getting treatment they can feel better over time, which may provide them with the energy to want to engage in doing more.

But if they're not interested and they're stubborn, that's pretty much it. Maybe their doctor will get through to them if they go for a physical, but I wouldn't count on it.

The only thing left is accepting what is, rather than wishing what could be but isn't and making different life choices for yourself.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 PM

271 posts, read 257,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
Leave the man alone. He's worked hard and now he's retired. He's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants. Stop and think about everything your father has done in his life to pay the bills, pay for groceries, gas, mortgage, tuition, medical bills, family pets; whatever it is he has done. How many years did this go on and then consider how you contributed to any of it. And the next time he sits his butt down to watch the t.v, you hand him the remote and get him a beer!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
OP you don't have to understand it. He worked a lot of years to provide for you and the rest of his family. He can do as he pleases. Take care of your own life and stop trying to control his.
My mother does that lol. He’s free to whatever he wants. I was just stating my own opinion. To me, there’s much more to life than just moping around the house all day. And he is someone that is fairly healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I know she goes out drinking on her disability check fairly regularly... that's a little better than nothing I guess.
Liar, liar. That is a load of horse poop. So take your comment and shove it where the sun don’t shine. There’s much more to my life you don’t even know about. And that includes being sober and participating in activities that is alcohol free

Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
Quote:
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
Maybe you can take some time to take him out, or introduce him to the YMCA or a Social Club. maybe a dog will help keep him happy and active. He can Walk the dog, has someone to care for, someone that depends on him.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When the cost is someone's health, I think folks have a right to be concerned.

I never heard of a healthy person who just lays around the house and does nothing. These folks are loading up on junk food, watching TV all day, getting diabetes and visits to the ER room, and taking years of their life off the table from their sedentary lifestyle.

Your taxes are being used to pay the ambulance/ER visits from these people who are slowing killing themselves. And when they pass away tragically and prematurely from heart disease, you're going to wish you did more to intervene.

I saw no concern in the op post and I’m not sure how she knows what her father does all day unless she is there all day , plus the poster said he’s fairly healthy.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 AM

983 posts, read 2,775,131 times
If he is happy, who cares?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Yet I don't get the impression that you ever bound in and say, "Hey, Dad, how about coming with me to a baseball game/to buy a Mother's Day present for mom/to go to that new James Bond movie?"

Old 04-21-2018, 10:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,139 times
Says who set this 'more to life' rule. More to life can also be chilling out and just smell the flowers, why does it has to be getting up and about doing something?

More over he's old and retired, unless he's fighting tv channels with you what's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships