Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
A new job with no accrued vacation time is reason enough. Tell them you don’t want to jeopardize your job and that if they really love you they wouldn’t put you in this position. Throw the guilt back on them.

There ya go. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
A new job is a perfect reason not to go. Any reasonable person would understand that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I've been working there for four months now exactly, and they say that is enough time to get a couple of days off.
Your parents do not run the company. If your company does not offer any vacation days for six months or for one year, it is not your fault and their is absolutely nothing that your parents can do about that.

Is Mommy planning on talking to the CEO and telling him/her "My baby boy needs a few days off to go on vacation with his mommy and daddy." Just imagine who that will work out on your new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Your parents don’t get to dictate when and how much vacation your company gives you. Only the company gets to do that. Just tell your parents you don’t have any vacation available so it’s not possible for you to go. If they’re that unreasonable then they’re going to be upset no matter what good reason you give for not going. You can’t change their reaction. You can only change how you deal with it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,738,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Doesn't matter what chicagoliz considers a special event. This is a special event for the OP's family.
There is absolutely nothing in the post or anywhere in the thread to indicate that this is a any sort of special event. All of the statements have indicated this is a typical trip that the parents take every year. It was indicated that the trip could be moved to a different time. There is no indication whatsoever that there is anything unique or particularly important going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I said I didn't want to go as we go every year and I got a new job a few months ago, and I am also busy with some filmmaking projects I want to do this summer. To which they kept asking me to go so I said okay to shut them up, but then really didn't want to and felt I would talk about it again the next day and then the bought tickets.
This does create a bit more of a problem, but not an insurmountable one. You could offer to pay for the ticket they bought that is unusable.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what chicagoliz considers a special event. This is a special event for the OP's family.
No, it's not. A wedding, funeral, graduation, is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime thing. You only get one chance to see your cousin get married, or pay your respects to grandma when she passes. Therefore, you go, even if you might not really want to, or you just saw them a few months ago. This is a yearly visit. It will be just like last year's visit, with no wedding, no funeral, no "occasion."

OP, are you and your brother able to care for yourselves? If you don't go, will your parents be forced to stay home with you?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM

17,875 posts, read 9,304,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
There is absolutely nothing in the post or anywhere in the thread to indicate that this is a any sort of special event. All of the statements have indicated this is a typical trip that the parents take every year. It was indicated that the trip could be moved to a different time. There is no indication whatsoever that there is anything unique or particularly important going on.
It's a trip that the family takes every year. In other words, a family tradition.

The OP wouldn't have started this thread if it wasn't a really big deal with his family.

Quote:
if I don't they get really upset and disappointed about it.
Quote:
how can I convince them without them getting upset over it and feeling so rejected?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. A wedding, funeral, graduation, is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime thing. You only get one chance to see your cousin get married, or pay your respects to grandma when she passes. Therefore, you go, even if you might not really want to, or you just saw them a few months ago. This is a yearly visit. It will be just like last year's visit, with no wedding, no funeral, no "occasion."
It's a yearly family tradition. It's clearly important to the parents that this continues.

Why must it be a once in a lifetime thing?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, is this an Asian culture thing? If so, maybe you should ask other Asians. A lot of us here can't relate, so our responses may not be all that helpful, if there's something culture-specific going on.
This post seems to have been overlooked.

There may be things we don't understand about the OP's situation.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
It's a yearly family tradition. It's clearly important to the parents that this continues.

Why must you be so obtuse? Do you not see the difference between a wedding and an annual trip. Is there a reason a visit has to happen EVERY year? How about every other year?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,081,755 times
Quote:

OP, are you and your brother able to care for yourselves? If you don't go, will your parents be forced to stay home with you?
I can take care of myself but not sure if my brother can. And no, this just a typical trip they take, no special events at all.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Quote:

It's his parent's tradition, not his. A tradition that has ceased to be meaningful to all is nothing more than a habit.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Why must you be so obtuse?
Do you always resort to personal attacks when you don't have a sound argument?

Quote:
Do you not see the difference between a wedding and an annual trip.
Of course I do, but it's completely irrelevant. Do you not understand that this yearly family tradition is a big deal to the parents?

Quote:
Is there a reason a visit has to happen EVERY year? How about every other year?
I don't know. It's not my business or yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships