Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,711,866 times

Advertisements

So, ____________.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,323,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Are there any phrases that people say that annoy/irritate you?

A few I am tired of hearing -

"If I could tell my younger self... "

"At the end of the day..."
“Enjoy today because tomorrow isn’t promised!”

Well, duh! That’s true of course, but neither is the next ten minutes or the next hour for that matter. But regardless, I don’t see what practical benefit this phrase provides. Does one actually change his/her approach to life or living when considering this statement? One likely still has to go to work, pay bills, meet deadlines, fight traffic, etc., so what really changes?

What does “living each day as if it were one’s last really look like”? To me, that would entail a day of complete excess and unrestrained hedonism! Lol. It sure as hell wouldn’t entail going to work or worrying about paying bills or arranging child care or any of the other “responsible” activities of day-to-day living.

Furthermore, I often hear this said after someone dies, which is understandable, but it still sounds a bit pointless. People have been dying since the days of the first humans. And people of all ages die — young, old, in between, etc., so dying is old news and it eventually touches everyone. But the obviousness of the statement makes it seem pointless. Plus, the chances of any particular person radically altering his/her daily life simply because tomorrow isn’t promised seems low.

I think most people expect to have many more tomorrows promised, and it would actually be too depressing and demotivating if people actually and wholeheartedly considered that each day might be one’s last. If we really truly felt that way, I think our actual daily lives would definitely be radically different.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,055,808 times
People saying "so" where I would use " really" as in "I so need to lose weight".

Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
“Enjoy today because tomorrow isn’t promised!”

Well, duh! That’s true of course, but neither is the next ten minutes or the next hour for that matter. But regardless, I don’t see what practical benefit this phrase provides. Does one actually change his/her approach to life or living when considering this statement? One likely still has to go to work, pay bills, meet deadlines, fight traffic, etc., so what really changes?
That's right up there with my own non-favorite, still being repeated as solemnly as if it were Holy Writ:

"No one on their deathbed ever said they wish they'd spent more time at the office."

It's not even true. Accomplished people throughout history have lamented just before dying that they could not finish their work.

Intriguing article:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ime-the-office

Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,186,165 times
Oh, and I forgot to mention this: "It's not personal, it's just business." Newsflash- whether they are in the right or not, whatever it is IS personal to whoever this is directed to. It seems like a phrase people use to justify whatever they are doing, while knowing that it will upset someone.

I'm not saying that it is never true or applicable, but there are definitely times that phrase is used as a shield for people to feel okay about screwing someone else over.

Last edited by Gfab1; 11-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
"I'm not gonna lie". Well, I hope so! Does that mean everything else you told me is a lie?!?
I hate that one too!

Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
"No worries" - many times I might say "sorry" in the mildest sense of the word, and no, I'm not worried, just being polite.
"Anyways" - I'm always surprised at the supposedly educated people who start a sentence with it - maybe they are trying to feign nonchalance?

Old 11-01-2019, 12:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
My wife hates " It's all good" .

Saul Goodman.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:54 PM

11,082 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The alternative to "It is what it is" that I try to remember to use is "Sometimes you have to accept the things you can't change."
But then you sound like you just came from AA.

I hate "the bottom line is" because my dear husband says it a hundred times a day.

Also loathe corporate-speak, in any form. I wish they'd all "move forward" and "circle the drain" with their "sweet spots" and "low-hanging fruit". Yech.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,114,378 times
''They're in our thoughts and prayers".

This phrase is massively overused, to the point of almost being insulting when it's thrown out there. Why can't people say what they REALLY think when terrible things happen? An example would be instead of using that stupid line in regards to a mass shooting, why don't news reporters and politicians say something like this: "The absolute P.O.S. who shot these people deserves to be shot in the town square and placed to wave in the wind. There is nothing we can say to make their families and friends feel any better and we are so sorry we don't have the words."

I'd respect people a lot more for saying what is really on their minds, that's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships