Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 02:59 PM

819 posts, read 583,910 times

Advertisements

A few years back, my sister's husband and brother, who detested each other, dug their heels in about Christmas dinner. I invited my sister, who said my brother should NOT be invited. Well, I made the mistake of inviting him. Her husband said she could go but "not with my kid" meaning she had to leave her daughter home with him. She was so angry at me, crying and berating me, "you invited him knowing my husband wouldn't come, you invited me first, why did you invite him, blah blah". I called my brother, told him what happened, and rescinded the invitation which was very hard to do. This was twenty years ago. He has not spoken to me in all that time. Meantime, my sister divorced her husband and she reconciled with my brother.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes it's a lose/lose situation. Someone, somewhere will be upset. Should it be you? Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 02:59 PM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to this level of drama? I'd just decline and say the best excuse that comes to mind.

I think in many instances the spouse demands you go. I'm fortunate my wife doesn't mind that I prefer to avoid family gatherings outside of weddings and funerals

Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Nope, having T'giving with family of choice. No drama, only sweetness and light...

Old 11-10-2019, 03:19 PM

898 posts, read 598,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I am sorry your tradition is being up-ended this year. That doesn't seem very fair, but from here it looks like you go along to get along with your wife. Probably wise.
Nah.... life chit just got in the way. I mean a week ago I met a 23yo guy at a hunting area. No dog, had him tag along. got him some pheasants. Hunted with him yesterday, got him more pheasants. He was up at zero dark thirty to go duck hunting with his dad, met me at 11:30 to hunt pheasants, and he tells me at 2:30 that he's dropping his pheasants off at home and hunting ducks in the afternoon.... I just can't do that anymore... LOL I don't feel 56, but spend the day in the field chasing game, you take one shift.... 16 month old Labrador doesn't get it, and doesn't get that we can't look for pheasants on Sunday here... My future son in-law has a hunting license and he got extended an invitation to hunt Monday. Waiting to hear back. Wife does not care if I go hunt Thanksgiving morning. Logistics just come into play. If I take future son in-law out for ducks (wife's son doesn't hunt yet and he's host so he hosed himself) If I pick one spot I'm 20 minutes from stepson and wife and I end up with 2 vehicles and I have to take a shower there. Or I pick another spot and FSIL and I are both 40 minutes from home and have to go home and shower....then drive to the dinner with our women.

Really, I think the bigger problem is that wife's sister accepted the invitation.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:28 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
One hour plus, each way.

I'd rather sit in my duck hunting boat with my dog and drink coffee then pick up some chinese food on the way home. But, I have to go to the dinner. If I go hunt first thing then go to the dinner, I'll be the guy asleep at the end of the couch.

If something turns into a problem, which is high odds, it's on my wife's son. He should know better by now. If my wife wants to reconcile with her sister, which is highly unlikely, my wife will do it on her own terms on her own time. A family holiday dinner is the wrong time and place.
Ok, so here’s the thing...go hunting another day, the ducks will be there on Friday, support your wife’s desire to make nice with her sister. If it goes haywire, leave, and pick up Chinese on the way home. Be the hero. Take a bullet for the team.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
You're adults. Embrace it and do what you want.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:36 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Nope! I like to discuss politics..... Saves me a lot of money buying Christmas presents.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
A LOT of folks here with relatives they can't stand.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:47 PM

898 posts, read 598,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so here’s the thing...go hunting another day, the ducks will be there on Friday, support your wife’s desire to make nice with her sister. If it goes haywire, leave, and pick up Chinese on the way home. Be the hero. Take a bullet for the team.
You don't get it.... wife is P!SSED that her son invited her sister. For her the day is ruined two weeks before it occurs. If you didn't see it, this goes back over 9 or 10 years before I even met her. Wife has no desire to make nice, she doesn't want her there. Just creates unnecessary tension for everybody there.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
You don't get it.... wife is P!SSED that her son invited her sister. For her the day is ruined two weeks before it occurs. If you didn't see it, this goes back over 9 or 10 years before I even met her. Wife has no desire to make nice, she doesn't want her there. Just creates unnecessary tension for everybody there.
Then don't go! Oma can see the grandbaby any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships