Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 11:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe the whole purpose of starting this thread was to try to harvest replies that were all supportive of the OP, and then to shove the whole thing in the guest’s face.
Or maybe the story hits close to home for you? Perhaps you've been the "guest" in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 11:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Or maybe the story hits close to home for you? Perhaps you've been the "guest" in a similar situation?
No, never happened to me. But maybe it did to you? Maybe you should actually read my replies in full instead of guessing?

Old 12-12-2019, 11:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No, never happened to me. But maybe it did to you?
Nope, can't say that it has. I don't have a dog in this fight, only mildly interested.

Moderator cut: deleted

Regarding your add-on, I read the entire thread. Perhaps I missed something you added after making the post?

Last edited by june 7th; 12-13-2019 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Rude and bickering

Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Nope, can't say that it has. I don't have a dog in this fight, only mildly interested.

Moderator cut: deleted

Regarding your add-on, I read the entire thread. Perhaps I missed something you added after making the post?
Well we aren't allowed to address thie attacks without getting deleted which is funny to me. But okay. Very delicate sensibilities here. Especially with certain posters who clearly have unresolved issues with the topic. And for that matter our guest.

When you fault drinkers for riding the train in an urban setting rather than getting behind the wheel of a car and exclaim how gross that is, you lose me. That's just not logical. And if you read back through this thread you will see that and other arguments made.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:02 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
I thank everyone who posted a valuable, logically thought out and well considered response. I now see that there is indeed a lot of hidden anger about drinking by some nondrinkers. We will. E careful to appropriately screen guests in the future and perhaps refuse their company I'd it seems that they will be in an environment that triggers them. I do intend to address this issue directly on the next occasion that I see this guest and will not invite this person back to our home.

As in many threads the logical discussion if the topic at hand has now reached the point of decay and emotional arguments have started to replace adult discourse. So its time for me to exit. I have/will add to reps and appreciate those who have done the same. As i do when I drink, I know "when to say when" and this thread had reached its limit.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:59 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
In my experience, people who refer to themselves as "social drinkers" often have a drinking problem. Especially when they place such importance on their "social drinking".

Last edited by redplum33; 12-13-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
You are doing nothing wrong but the teetotaler sounds like a self-involved arrogant passive agressive person. I would be civil to them but not invite to stay at my house anymore. Put them in the acquaintance pile.

And if you do HAVE to run into this situation again, tell them that you feel uncomfortable taking them to a place where alcohol is served and if they want to go, they have to find their own transportation.

I think they were using this situation as a way to criticize you in a passive aggressive way.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't believe in e-mails. I'd pick up the phone. E-mails are for passive-aggressive cowards.
Naaaah...it ensures you say exactly what you want to say and that you have a record in the case of future altercations. Some communications are best one-sided without worry of interruptions and side-tracking.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
When you fault drinkers for riding the train in an urban setting rather than getting behind the wheel of a car and exclaim how gross that is, you lose me.
Except that pikabike never said that. What pikabike said is that riding on public transportation with drunk people is unpleasant - and that is true. No one other than a drunkard actually likes to be around DRUNK people (as opposed to someone who's had a drink or two). Yes, it's good that they aren't driving, but public intoxication isn't socially acceptable behavior in most people's eyes.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Except that pikabike never said that. What pikabike said is that riding on public transportation with drunk people is unpleasant - and that is true. No one other than a drunkard actually likes to be around DRUNK people (as opposed to someone who's had a drink or two). Yes, it's good that they aren't driving, but public intoxication isn't socially acceptable behavior in most people's eyes.
Thank you. The OP repeatedly attributes things to me that I did not say or feel, including things that are the exact opposite of what I have been saying.

I am around people having a little to drink often enough to know the difference between those for whom it is a pleasant part of their activity vs those who draw negative attention because of their behavior. And, to be clear, someone who behaved as the OP’s guest did is ALSO drawing negative attention. Again, the conflict is not about drinking per se. But OP is turning a setting-boundaries conflict into a pro-drinking/anti-drinking quasi-argument.

Whatever anger the OP has with the guest needs to be discussed with that person, not with a stranger whom she never even met and is being used as a “safe” punching bag. I made NO attacks on the OP in any posts, so her hatred is blinding her.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-13-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships