Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 08:11 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Keep an extra bible around tell them to go sit in the corner and read.

If they did, they would find plenty of passages that speak positively to the moderate enjoyment of wine and beer. This is something the prim teetotalers in my faith always overlook.

Heck, Christ's first miracle was the wedding feast at Cana, where he turned water into wine. And not just wine, but primo wine that was praised by the stewards, a result of its quality and fermentation.

I mean, hey, if you don't care for alcohol or struggle with addiction issues, then okay. But given how my idea of a big night out is two glasses of wine or spirits, I'm really not interested in your opinion about my alleged vices. After all, there are plenty of people who rail against drunkenness who can't seem to pass up seconds or thirds at the dinner table.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 12-12-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The person I was talking about had parents that were alcoholics. They shared this with me many years ago.

So in the example I mentioned they were alcoholics.

It came out by accident in a conversation on how I never had to come home to find my parents passed out drunk, like he did. The mother died of alcoholism related diseases in her mid 50s.

The person I was talking about who I knew quite well for many years would say something about any drunken behavior that we saw while I was with him. He didn't drink(most likely due to fear of becoming an alcoholic himself). Never made comments about people who did drink, but AGAIN if he saw drunken behavior it clearly brought back bad childhood memories.

The OP was asking has anyone seen this type of behavior, and it can happen in adult children of alcoholics.
Not quite. The OP asked if the behavior was COMMON.

And of course some children of alcoholics would be among those who dislike drunkenness. Nobody disputes that.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If they did, they would find plenty of passages that speak positively to the moderate enjoyment of wine and beer. This is something the prim teetotalers in my faith always overlook.

Heck, Christ's first miracle was the wedding feast at Cana, where he turned water into wine. And not just wine, but primo wine that was praised by the stewards, a result of its quality and fermentation.

I mean, hey, if you don't care for alcohol or struggle with addiction issues, then okay. But given how my idea of a big night out is two glasses of wine or spirits, I'm really not interested in your opinion about my alleged vices. After all, there are plenty of people who rail against drunkenness who can't seem to pass up seconds or thirds at the dinner table.
I agree, in my denomination alcohol is considered wrong and I never indulge around them. I have noticed though that those who are very strong against it had been affected as a child whose parent or parents were alcoholics. Personally I enjoy a glass or two of a good Cabernet occasionally.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:15 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They had plans before they knew the guest was coming. They explained the situation to the guest. The guest decided to go knowing it was in a winery.

I can't believe you expect people to change their behavior when you are around. Having wine in a winery is not "needing a drink."
I never said having a drink at a winery is "needing a drink". I've done it myself

They knew their "guest" (and I use that term very loosely) was a non-drinker. The outcome isn't surprising from the OP's info provided
Unless someone really needs that drink, most of us have a basic level of respect for our guests and friends.
Yet I question if this person is either so maybe that respect was purposefully and rightfully, tossed out the window

Last edited by SaraR.; 12-12-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-12-2019, 09:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The level of angst and passion in this post reminds me of our guest. Though there was no soy sauce guzzled or other sloppy hijinks the guests reaction was very severe.

I don't eat meat. I think its unappealing and unhealthy. But I have attended many a steak dinner without managing to shame my fellow diners about their habits. With alcohol there seems to be a lot of passion and an okay to assume sloppy behavior is around the corner or "problem drinking. " But I see this as just as insulting as a hardcore vegan refusing to eat around those who don't share their diet. Both behaviors are designed to exert control over others.
So have I. I have no tolerance for drunkenness. There’s a difference between having a drink and being drunk to the point that someone’s personality changes to a noticeable degree. As I stated in my first reply, if I had been your relative and I expected the guests to get sloppy drunk, I would not attended the party. End of story.

You do not need to rationalize having a party by saying European residents drink and therefore (????) your party was normal. So what? The real issue was YOU inviting someone you already knew would react poorly, and their participation in this dysfunctional game.

As others already posted, we are only seeing your version of what happened.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-12-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
So have I. I have no tolerance for drunkenness. There’s a difference between having a drink and being drunk to the point that someone’s personality changes to a noticeable degree. As I stated in my first reply, if I had been your relative and I expected the guests to get sloppy drunk, I would not attended the party. End of story.
Why would the assumption automatically be that people would get sloppy drunk at a 60th birthday at a winery in late afternoon,? If this was at a club or concert and a 21st birthday sure that might be accurate. But not here.

Many on this thread cannot understand that merely imbibing does not a singing, sloppy. vomiting, undressing, passed out bacchanal make. If your experience with alcohol has led you to believe this is the case 100% of the time, I would urge you to seek out a different group to socialize with. Or do some travel to Europe and observe the locals at lunch.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Nicely quoted and I agree. Especially to the overindulgence in other ways that are so incredibly common.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Why would the assumption automatically be that people would get sloppy drunk at a 60th birthday at a winery in late afternoon,? If this was at a club or concert and a 21st birthday sure that might be accurate. But not here.

Many on this thread cannot understand that merely imbibing does not a singing, sloppy. vomiting, undressing, passed out bacchanal make. If your experience with alcohol has led you to believe this is the case 100% of the time, I would urge you to seek out a different group to socialize with. Or do some travel to Europe and observe the locals at lunch.
As some have pointed out, “bacchinal” is not the level that makes everyone uncomfortable. Some people, when not drinking, get uncomfortable far earlier. I have no problem with people having 1-2 drinks. A lot of people tend to get louder and more obnoxious after that. Ask them and they think they are at their most charming at that point. Typically I will just go home. FWIW I do not drink because I have an actual allergy, not due to religion, but that does not mean that people who have a lot to drink don’t annoy me. I have European friends. Some of them are people I have to avoid after 1-2 drinks. One calls me Cinderella due to that. It is no big deal. We get along fine.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:45 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not quite. The OP asked if the behavior was COMMON.
And the answer, of course, is no. I wonder why the OP felt it even necessary to ask the question? Most people, whether they drink or not, would never under any circumstance behave like the OP's guest did; they either would not attend an event they knew they would not enjoy, or of they had to go, they'd behave politely while doing their best to hide their boredom. Most adults have mastered Social Graces 101. Clearly the OP didn't know that this particular guest was in that minority of adults who has not (or who just loves to stir up Drama for whatever reason, and used the wine tasting party as an excuse to have at it).

Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
As some have pointed out, “bacchinal” is not the level that makes everyone uncomfortable. Some people, when not drinking, get uncomfortable far earlier. I have no problem with people having 1-2 drinks. A lot of people tend to get louder and more obnoxious after that. Ask them and they think they are at their most charming at that point. Typically I will just go home. FWIW I do not drink because I have an actual allergy, not due to religion, but that does not mean that people who have a lot to drink don’t annoy me. I have European friends. Some of them are people I have to avoid after 1-2 drinks. One calls me Cinderella due to that. It is no big deal. We get along fine.
People's personalities can change when they are in a new relationship or around a significant other. They can get loud or obnoxious defending their politics . Watching your friends like a hawk at a party, counting their drinks, then disappearing when you think the big "change" is about to happen as though they are werewolves and the moon is full strikes me as particularly exhausting. Why not just avoid these situations?

Personally if I knew someone was doing this to me when I had a glass of wine I would be super uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships