Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 05:50 AM

390 posts, read 366,831 times

Advertisements

I am just genuinely hoping the people defending them do not know how state legislation works. This isn't blowing off a job...these are usually (very) part-time gigs. There is no expectation that people be there each and every minute they are in session, aside from votes. People on both sides are absent constantly and this is normative and expected. Quite clearly, someone lied to sneak this through. I do not really care who, anyone with even the smallest sense of honor in the room would have refused to vote once they realized what was going on.

I thought the woman was remarkably composed given the circumstances. This is practically a caricature of evil and corruption I would expect to see in a movie, not real life. I think the fact that no one got arrested trying to physically obstruct the vote from occurring, through physical violence if necessary, was cowardly. This is that far over the line. I genuinely think this is one of a handful of situations I would condone violence and I would be saying the same damn thing if it was the Dems who did it. It would be defense of our nation and way of life in a much more direct way than virtually any military operation we have had in 50+ years. The enemy is within.

Politics is a twisted game, but this is so far over the already-pushed-too-far line I am simply in shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Its really sad the republicans have stooped to this level. They have no respect for our democratic processes and institutions.
They could limbo under a blade of grass.

Quote:
I only hope it opens more eyes to the need to remove them from power.
Especially Moore and Berger.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 AM

Here's Berger's response, though I trust him about as far as I could throw him.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...234962017.html

Quote:
The state budget still can’t pass without the Senate also overriding Cooper’s veto. However, the Republican majority only needs one Democrat to vote with all of them to obtain the necessary override. The override vote had not been added to the Senate calendar as of late Wednesday afternoon.

Senate leader Phil Berger told reporters Wednesday afternoon that the Senate is focused on redistricting right now.

“Redistricting committee will continue its work and it’s our expectation that it will complete its work sometime before Monday. We will see how that goes. We will have a voting session in the morning, I do not anticipate any voting session after tomorrow morning, until Monday,” Berger said.

Berger didn’t have anything to say about the budget or a veto override.

“We are laser-focused on trying to get this redistricting taken care of. Once that’s done I will be more than happy to talk about what may happen, what may not happen, what could happen, what supposedly could happen … We have no plans to deal with the budget this week,” he said.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Anyone who follows politics and making excuses for this move is beyond ridiculous... we are losing our democracy right under our noses, right out in the open. It's mind boggling - what is happening to this country?

To me NC is a perfect microcosm of everything our founding fathers feared... government unchecked and out of control.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times

Source: Laura Leslie @ WRAL
https://www.wral.com/news/state/ncca...mage/18627204/

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Eh, just a typo. No biggie. /s

Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 AM

329 posts, read 250,268 times
This is part of the political process.

Apparently next we are going to hear about how filibusters, and budget reconciliation is destroying democracy.

All sides do it, just like Gerrymandering, so please stop with the virtue signaling.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
No it isn't, and attempting to normalize it is wrong. Its corrupt, dishonest and subverts the democratic process. I'm your Jesus guy is proud.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post

Apparently next we are going to hear about how filibusters, and budget reconciliation is destroying democracy.

All sides do it, just like Gerrymandering, so please stop with the virtue signaling.
When have Dems done something like this? This whataboutism won't fly.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
No it isn't, and attempting to normalize it is wrong. Its corrupt, dishonest and subverts the democratic process. I'm your Jesus guy is proud.
We all know Republicans would quickly dispense with our representative democracy if it meant getting their way and retaining power. It's beyond despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina