Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: John From Scranton
858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Reputation: 433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Terror suspects.
Your way out in left feild my friend!! suspects or not.. They need to be rounded up and dealth with.. However we see fit!!

 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
We needed some comic relief, this debate was getting a little heated.

Why would you call me Sara Palin? I mean, I like the woman and not offended, but last time I checked she was female and I'm a male. Is it because I don't buy into beliefs of the liberal left?
Bet she's got better legs!!!
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
 
703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What I want to know is why is it possible for the US to have a prison in Cuba, when we don't have any relations with Cuba? You can't get a Cuban cigar in this country, but we're allowed to run a prison there?
Crazily enough, Cuba was a U.S. territory following the Spanish-American War. Spain had previously owned it for hundreds of years. It ceded the country to us following the conclusion of that war. We granted the country its independence shortly thereafter, in exchange for a perpetual lease of the Guantanamo Bay area.
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Reputation: 4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Crazily enough, Cuba was a U.S. territory following the Spanish-American War. Spain had previously owned it for hundreds of years. It ceded the country to us following the conclusion of that war. We granted the country its independence shortly thereafter, in exchange for a perpetual lease of the Guantanamo Bay area.
Thanks. Learn something new every day...
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Dallas, PA
1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Oh, I agree completely.

I'm sure volumes of information were gathered. The problem, as go phillies and ScranBarre say, is the reliability of that information. If the information was gathered through torture, then it's highly unreliable. People will say anything to make torture stop. This is a well-known and well-understood.
I had several transcription jobs in 2008 where I was transcribing interviews with detainees at Guantanamo. Unfortunately, I'm not able to discuss in detail the content of them, but all I can say is that after hearing what went on there straight out of their mouths, I have an entirely different opinion on the matter. I used to feel like Ed, Dan, John, coartist, etc. but after the information I was privy to, I just cannot support the tactics used at Guantanamo. The fact that there were/are no trials being given to a lot of these people is just one of the MANY things wrong with how that place is run. Also, the treatment of those who were found INNOCENT, even *after* they were proven innocent, is horrid. If you only knew! I'm just saying... hearing first hand accounts as opposed to second hand stories on the news paints an entirely different picture.
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I had several transcription jobs in 2008 where I was transcribing interviews with detainees at Guantanamo. Unfortunately, I'm not able to discuss in detail the content of them, but all I can say is that after hearing what went on there straight out of their mouths, I have an entirely different opinion on the matter. I used to feel like Ed, Dan, John, coartist, etc. but after the information I was privy to, I just cannot support the tactics used at Guantanamo. The fact that there were/are no trials being given to a lot of these people is just one of the MANY things wrong with how that place is run. Also, the treatment of those who were found INNOCENT, even *after* they were proven innocent, is horrid. If you only knew! I'm just saying... hearing first hand accounts as opposed to second hand stories on the news paints an entirely different picture.
Exactly!! As I said in a past post today, we hear what they WANT us to hear & people base their opinions on "facts" which may NOT tell the whole story!!

Having grown up during the race riots of the 60's, there's nothing like a good bloodbath & vendetta to show patriotism!!!
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Reputation: 4425
A quote attributed to Caesar that applies to former President Dubya (sounds to me like Bush should have been studying in school rather than partying, since those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it):

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
A quote attributed to Caesar that applies to former President Dubya (sounds to me like Bush should have been studying in school rather than partying, since those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it):

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."
Isn't it funny that the idea to close Gitmo was originally Bush's????.....hmmmm.....guess if he did it, it would've been OK....
 
Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
 
2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Reputation: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Terror suspects.
Oh thats right...terror "suspects" ...pardon me for not being politically correct
 
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: John From Scranton
858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Oh thats right...terror "suspects" ...pardon me for not being politically correct
Don't feel bad... I was told I can't spell..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top