Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfan1031 View Post
We are considering moving from Phoenix, AZ to Orlando. Can you recommend good areas to look? With have a baby, so are looking for a family friendly area with good schools. I have been reading some not so pleasant info, but figure everyone has their opinion. Any direction would be great.
Thank you!!
Oviedo, Lake Mary, Winter Springs would be a great place to start your research.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 18,397 times
hello guys, me and my family just moved to east orlando about 2 years ago. we originally came from the philippines and all i can say is, crime here is a joke 50 murders in a year? lol we probably get that number in a week back home in the pi

Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
do they really have 20 ft snakes and alligators.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 18,397 times
yup, alligators there are scary, a 10 year old would probably fit snug in its mouth and people who will kill for $100, i just cant believe i survived living there for 27 years

Last edited by znil78; 12-28-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM

207 posts, read 926,247 times
My family and I really like the Orlando area. We are currently renting a house in Lake Nona, a nice new part of town. However, since we have been here, a little over a year, we are constantly discovering equally nice places to live (Windermere, certain parts of Winter Garden, Winter Park, etc...). Security has not been an issue at all for us; therefore I believe, like most of the country, it is more of a socioeconomic issue than anything else.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I agree that it is a socioeconomic issue, and it also tends to be that in Orlando nice areas and bad areas are adjacent throughout the area. That is why you can get crime in areas like East Orlando and Hunters Creek and Kissimmee since they have nicer and worse off areas mixed together. Lake Nona is pretty sheltered from most bad areas.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,123 times
Hi, I am looking to move to orlando, please let me know about schooling. I have 7 years old daughter, she is my priority. What area is the best for single mother with child. Not nesessery Orlando, can be other aria. Thanks a lt.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znil78 View Post
hello guys, me and my family just moved to east orlando about 2 years ago. we originally came from the philippines and all i can say is, crime here is a joke 50 murders in a year? lol we probably get that number in a week back home in the pi
Folks, some of you saying it's great to live in Orlando, well, look at some of the places you are quoting from, Winter Park, Lake Nona, Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, etc. These are some of the more upper-scale areas, of course people would be happy in those areas, particularly if they are gated communities. But let's talk about other surrounding areas like Avalon, Waterford Lakes, Oviedo, near UCF, and you'll find out although the houses and neighborhoods are nice, try getting around those areas at the busiest times, esp. around 50/Colonial and Alfaya areas. And you are comparing the murder rate to that of the Philippines, duh?!!! Look what you are comparing it to?

If you like the heat, humidity, pollen, mold, bugs don't bother you, idiot drivers, accidents, then make Orlando your home. It'll work for some of you, it doesn't work for many others. Why do you think all the negative posts? And for those of you who say please leave, yes, we're making plans on leaving, just can't get out of here soon enough! I spent a week in the snow up north for Christmas, it was beautiful, it was cold, but at least I could breathe. I come down here, my throat, nose, eyes, get clouded with pollen in the air. Orlando does not work for me personally, it'll work for others. If you decide to move down here and it doesn't work for you down the line once the honeymoon period with the warm weather and Disney magic wore off, just remember the many people who tried to forewarn you.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Folks, some of you saying it's great to live in Orlando, well, look at some of the places you are quoting from, Winter Park, Lake Nona, Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, etc. These are some of the more upper-scale areas, of course people would be happy in those areas, particularly if they are gated communities. But let's talk about other surrounding areas like Avalon, Waterford Lakes, Oviedo, near UCF, and you'll find out although the houses and neighborhoods are nice, try getting around those areas at the busiest times, esp. around 50/Colonial and Alfaya areas. And you are comparing the murder rate to that of the Philippines, duh?!!! Look what you are comparing it to?

If you like the heat, humidity, pollen, mold, bugs don't bother you, idiot drivers, accidents, then make Orlando your home. It'll work for some of you, it doesn't work for many others. Why do you think all the negative posts? And for those of you who say please leave, yes, we're making plans on leaving, just can't get out of here soon enough! I spent a week in the snow up north for Christmas, it was beautiful, it was cold, but at least I could breathe. I come down here, my throat, nose, eyes, get clouded with pollen in the air. Orlando does not work for me personally, it'll work for others. If you decide to move down here and it doesn't work for you down the line once the honeymoon period with the warm weather and Disney magic wore off, just remember the many people who tried to forewarn you.
Pollen? Stay FAR AWAY from Texas!! It's terrible here.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,630 times
Give me the name of STEETS to look at moving on. Need safe, decent school, 20 mn from Disney, 20 min from Haines City, close to I-4, low crime rate... plese be specific, can only afford about 100K for a house or condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando