Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times

Advertisements

The frying egg in that ancient propaganda piece was not a brain or x-brain. Cannabis ("marijuana") has saved many lives with its hundreds of proven medical uses. The only case of it causing brain damage was when Dr. Gabriel Nahaus at Columbia University put a face mask on a monkey & forced it to inhale the smoke from 63 joints in 5 minutes (no oxygen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm taking it you don't know any families with a 15-year old who has fried his brain on dope.

Or who steals Grandma's Hummel collection to pay his connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 AM

26% of cannabis users saying they use it medicinally, say they are using it to treat depression, which if left untreated, causes over 41,000 Americans per year to commit suicide. The pills for treating anxiety & depression don't work for many, actually causing suicides, homicides & other violence. The chemical imbalance claim is just a theory (unproven) which they used to design these drugs for half a century. Cannabis was recommended for all mental health issues from early 1800s until made illegal (1914-1937) to protect the high profits from patented synthetic pills.

Sometimes depression is caused by an undiagnosed physical problem. Cannabis has been shown in actual studies to help 249 conditions, hardly a medical problem. Not a social problem as cannabis users are not dangerous. Parents can't say they approve cannabis use because govt could grab kids & sell them to highest bidder, if proof that parents encouraged them. So what some parents do is leave it out where kids can help themselves & if trouble can say I didn't give it to them, they stole it from me.

I read about a woman who called police because her 15 year old son was using cannabis. Police came, talked to both, no further action was taken. Wonder if mom was mad they didn't drag him off to a foster home where kids gets 4 times the pills of those living with birth parents? The pills are generally more dangerous & less effective, but the trillion dollar pill industry has helped kill millions & pays billions to pols as cheap insurance that they have no competition from something that doesn't kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Nice

Until laws are changed it is indeed a criminal issue that the parents can be held liable. Additionally it is a social problem, and potentially a medical problem, most definitely a parenting problem.

Keep kids busy enough, be it with homework, activities, and/or a job, and they will not have either the time or energy to get into trouble be it abusing drugs or otherwise.

Bored kids find trouble, or as it used to be phrased, idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 AM

The $2 trillion question: Forced treatment, $30,000+ a month, could become part of Obamneycare. That's $2 trillion for the 1 in 6 Americans who say they use cannabis. Will it happen? See Learn About SAM for details. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I think that's the million dollar question. I strongly encourage parents who suspect that their child is using to get a professional consult with a therapist well-versed in substance abuse issues (ETA: for themselves to figure out a plan of action, if the teen doesn't consent to treatment) who can advise based on the specifics of the situation. There are a lot of variables involved, IMO.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times
A drug sniffing dog would really be cool. No more searchig the house for your bag. If they could also train them to sniff for the tv remote and car keys.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:37 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw something on the news tonight that I found disturbing.

The story featured a company that brings out a German Shepard that will go through your home and your cars if you suspect your child is using drugs and has drugs in the house.

It didn't say what happens if drugs our found. Are the police called?

Or if no drugs are found I would think you have really damaged your relationship with your child.

Seemed very extreme to me.
Yup, sounds pretty extreme to me too. Unless I was in those parents shoes though, it's hard to say what extremes I would or wouldn't go through.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:57 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw something on the news tonight that I found disturbing.

The story featured a company that brings out a German Shepard that will go through your home and your cars if you suspect your child is using drugs and has drugs in the house.

It didn't say what happens if drugs our found. Are the police called?

Or if no drugs are found I would think you have really damaged your relationship with your child.

Seemed very extreme to me.

This is shameful. It's merely more profiting by private companies off the "war on drugs" propaganda. So your 17 year old smoked marijuana? So what? This does not make them an addict and it is a totally age appropriate experimental and/or rebellious act.

Over 95% of drug users do not progress to addiction. Yet to hear the media and paranoid parents tell it, it sounds like every kid who inhales is doomed to OD in the basement from IV heroin.

If you can't tell that there is something wrong with your child by straight "parenting" and must resort to such invasive methods and gimmicks, then you should question your parenting skills. Good luck trying to restore trust with your kid after finding one joint in his room, or finding nothing, with such invasive methods.

If you have good reason to suspect that your child is using drugs, check their eyes, breath, gait, eating and sleeping habits, school work and mental status. In other words, things you should be doing regularly anyways. But most importantly, just ask them. Ask them in a way that is supportive and won't make it seem like "the end of the world" if they have smoked some weed or used their friends' Ritalin to study. Set boundaries and consequences, not a random "sneak attack."

It's "shortcuts" like this and "random drug testing" that parents use to avoid parenting.

I say this as a former counselor of kids using drugs: The better the parental relationship, the better the outcome.

Kids innately want to please their parents. This should be used to your advantage. To set up an untrustworthy and advisorial relationship will get you no where and only push them closer to more frequent use to spite you.

Moreover, if you label them as "my child who uses drugs" at a young age, they may internalize this and take that identify to heart throughout their growth and into adulthood. You may be setting them up to forever be the "identified patient" of the family.

The advice above is not for parents of addicts or substance dependents. But remember, most casual/transient teen drug and alcohol users are not addicts and do not progress to such.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:14 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
26% of cannabis users saying they use it medicinally, say they are using it to treat depression, which if left untreated, causes over 41,000 Americans per year to commit suicide. The pills for treating anxiety & depression don't work for many, actually causing suicides, homicides & other violence. The chemical imbalance claim is just a theory (unproven) which they used to design these drugs for half a century. Cannabis was recommended for all mental health issues from early 1800s until made illegal (1914-1937) to protect the high profits from patented synthetic pills.

Sometimes depression is caused by an undiagnosed physical problem. Cannabis has been shown in actual studies to help 249 conditions, hardly a medical problem. Not a social problem as cannabis users are not dangerous. Parents can't say they approve cannabis use because govt could grab kids & sell them to highest bidder, if proof that parents encouraged them. So what some parents do is leave it out where kids can help themselves & if trouble can say I didn't give it to them, they stole it from me.

I read about a woman who called police because her 15 year old son was using cannabis. Police came, talked to both, no further action was taken. Wonder if mom was mad they didn't drag him off to a foster home where kids gets 4 times the pills of those living with birth parents? The pills are generally more dangerous & less effective, but the trillion dollar pill industry has helped kill millions & pays billions to pols as cheap insurance that they have no competition from something that doesn't kill.

^ You make a lot of excellent points! And since i can't rep you again, I will just quote you and add the following:

It is far more likely for a teenager/early 20 yo to die from suicide secondary to depression than from an accidental drug overdose. Depression and other mental illnesses such as schizophrenia are what parents should be most vigilant about. A mental illness can kill an impulsive kid. Besides the reasons for teens using that i stated above, i want to add that drugs might also be involved if they self-medicating a mental illness.

Some of the saddest things I've seen is parents in denial about their kids' major depression. I've seen parents PREFER to label their kids "drug abusers" rather than the self-medicating depressive which they were.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM

140 posts, read 191,941 times
It just reinforces the idea that your child is irresponsible. If you think they are irresponsible they will most likely live up to that label and will probably continue to do whatever they're doing, they'll just be more careful about it.

I've never been a parent though.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:44 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
I did some more research... They do call the police (NPR - Drug Sniffing Dogs Ease Parents' Minds - or Confirm Their Fears).

If you suspect that you kid has been using, they probably have been.

ETA: I didn't realize how old or long this thread was. I read about 2 or 3 pages before I decided to investigate. Forgive me if this information has already been shared.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
GJJG2012, way to pad your post number! You just kept repeating the same things over and over... could have been done in a post or two.

Really, rebutting things people said 2 and a half years ago.....???

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 01-25-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting