Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
My wife is at her wits end.

My son started 7th grade, he will be 13 in November.

For as long as we can remember, he has never been in any sort of hurry in the morning.

She doesn't like to yell at him and keep on him in the morning.

What do other parents do to get their young ones motivated to get ready in the morning?

We wake him up at 6 (6:30 at the latest), and he needs to leave the house by 7:30 to get to school on time.

Here is what he needs to do in the morning:

-feed dogs and let them outside. The night before he puts the food in the dog bowls and leaves them in the garage. So all he needs to do is grab the bowls and set them down. Once they eat, he just has to open the kitchen door and they go outside on their own.

-take a shower. I know that this can be done at night to save time, but his hair will look greasy if he showers the night before. It is best for him to shower in the morning.

-scoop the litter box. This is done twice daily, so we aren't talking like a lot of stuff to scoop

-eat breakfast. my wife makes him breakfast every morning

So that is it. But she is constantly telling to eat faster, to not take 5 minutes putting shoes on, etc.

There is no real sense of urgency with him

We need advice. As it is, we don't allow him to use electronics during the week. So he can't play video games or on his computer. Unless he needs to go online for school, of course.

What kind of consequences can we give him?
That seems like a lot to me in the morning. I don't think I would ask a kid to feel and care for all the pets in the home before he goes to school in the morning. Maybe take out the litter box chore or move it to later in the day.

Also, what happens if he's late? Does he miss a bus or get to school late? Is there any consequence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Has his doctor done blood work on him recently? Maybe he has low thyroid or is anemic? I have low thyroid and I am very sluggish and tired in the mornings. I perk up about 11 a.m. Maybe some meds would help him.

Also, he could be ADD. Or maybe he hates school and doesn't want to go. Could be bored with the classes and need to be in an advanced program that would challenge him more. Or maybe there are bullies.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'll bet you would never dwaddle on your way to flight school. It's something you like and look forward to, right?

Kids poke around and miss the bus when they are bored/hate/aren't challenged by school. Kids don't take 5 minutes to put on their socks if they've got something to look forward to.

This kid has cat litter box cleaning and school. I'm beginning to feel his pain.
Never. But the lessons start at a reasonable time, 11 AM. Meaning I can get a good night's sleep before the lesson, have a nice breakfast, and arrive ready for flying.
Sleep deprivation really puts a damper on one's attitude, I'm sure you can understand what that feels like after a long day of work with no sleep the night before.
And to be honest I really didn't look forward to school at all. I only jumped through all the goofy hoops they presented me so I could have a good chance at attending my first choice university.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
That seems like a lot to me in the morning. I don't think I would ask a kid to feel and care for all the pets in the home before he goes to school in the morning. Maybe take out the litter box chore or move it to later in the day.

Also, what happens if he's late? Does he miss a bus or get to school late? Is there any consequence?
My god, so many posters are complaining about all of his chores. I bet if you used a stop watch to time it, the grand total would be less than 5 minutes. Probably closer to 3 minutes! My god, call CPS a 7th grader is being abused! (sarcasm)

Scoop out the little box (just has dropping from the last 12 hours) if it is one cat it may be only one or two "clumps".
Put dog food in a bowl and set it on the floor.
Open the door & let the dogs out.---not walk the dogs, open up the door and let them go outside!

Three (or maybe five) minutes of chores are A LOT to do in the morning before school. Sheesh!
What if the parents had him empty the dishwasher or sweep the kitchen floor or something else that takes five or six minutes! Throw the parents in prison & throw away the key. Sheesh.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Has his doctor done blood work on him recently? Maybe he has low thyroid or is anemic? I have low thyroid and I am very sluggish and tired in the mornings. I perk up about 11 a.m. Maybe some meds would help him.
A stool sample too to make sure he doesn't have parasites from scooping litter before eating. Parasites can cause fatigue.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Oh goodness. Yes he could, but it's highly unlikely he has a medical issue.

People don't have a sense of urgency if they've nothing to be urgent about.

They've set him an example of how it's possible to manage his time.

Now they just need to leave him alone and let him do it.

As long as he's out the door when he's supposed to be, and the dogs have their food and the poo is in the bag, then that's the end of that.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I keep thinking I'm missing something with people claiming this kid has oh-so-much to do in the morning. Seriously. Set down dog food bowls, open the door, clean the cat box and get yourself ready for school. Really? How hard can that be? I'll admit I'd wonder if he couldn't do the litter box another time...I mean, as long as it's cleaned daily does it really matter when? Why are people acting like the child is waxing the floors by hand every morning? I'm a tad flummoxed here....

Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,459 times
Am I the only one who thinks that tending to the animals takes more time that what the OP expects? Because your having him manage the cat and dog in the morning and then he has to shower, get dressed and eat. I just think it's not enough time.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that tending to the animals takes more time that what the OP expects? Because your having him manage the cat and dog in the morning and then he has to shower, get dressed and eat. I just think it's not enough time.
What does he "manage"? He sets the food dishes down and opens the door for the dogs....and scoops out the cat box. 5 min. 10 max.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What does he "manage"? He sets the food dishes down and opens the door for the dogs....and scoops out the cat box. 5 min. 10 max.
The initial schedule had him waiting until the dogs were done eating to let them out. He wasn't eating his breakfast or showering or anything else during that time period, and some dogs take longer to eat than others. The feeding the dogs and letting them out could very well have taken 20 minutes the way it was originally arranged. It will be more efficient now that they have him taking a shower while the dogs eat and letting them out after his shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting