Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktwmg View Post
East Market could get a few top luxury brands if the developers sought them.
Citycenter DC, a project with a similar concept, attracted many top brands (hermes, gucci, burberry, etc.) despite the fact that the neighborhood didn't have luxury stores before. DC's luxury district used to be Georgetown (though it did not have many international brands but mostly American ones- much like Walnut).
Plus East Market is close to many of the wealthy neighborhoods (Fitler, Society Hill, Rittenhouse, QV) and in a very (arguably the most) touristic area. With all the projects going on in Market East (and the positive outlook they generate) it should be a much better place 1 or 2 years from now.
Maybe the fact that "The Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia" is going to be across the street isn't the nicest thing. But it shouldn't be a huge problem either as there are cheap stores on Fifth Avenue and Soho in NYC and Rodeo Drive and basically every major shopping district in every city anyway.
I bet even wealthy suburbanites who live around the city would prefer shopping there (if those brands had stores there) than in KOP.
Well I will be labeled... But I do not think North Michigan Ave Chicago (The Magnificent Mile) Placed either 2nd after Fifth Ave. Or Third after yet Rodeo Drive.
I DO NOT THINK.. HAS ANY CHEAP STORES. I know there is a Walgreens But besides that? Just randomly came upon the thread and this post. But that is my addition to your generalizing the Major Big city Shopping streets.

I was really surprised to see Cheap electronics stores ect. On Fifth Ave in NYC. I HATE those Steel bars on Store fronts when closed. Chicago must not allow it downtown at least? I never see any there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well I will be labeled... But I do not think North Michigan Ave Chicago (The Magnificent Mile) Placed either 2nd after Fifth Ave. Or Third after yet Rodeo Drive.
I DO NOT THINK.. HAS ANY CHEAP STORES. I know there is a Walgreens But besides that? Just randomly came upon the thread and this post. But that is my addition to your generalizing the Major Big city Shopping streets.

I was really surprised to see Cheap electronics stores ect. On Fifth Ave in NYC. I HATE those Steel bars on Store fronts when closed. Chicago must not allow it downtown at least? I never see any there.
Thank you for adding that helpful information.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Bloomingdale's opening city outlet store in November

Quote:
Bloomingdale's, The Outlet Store, will open a 22,700-square-foot store in November on the second level of The Shops at Liberty Place, 1625 Chestnut Street.

Macy's Inc., the corporate parent of Bloomingdale's, announced the store opening late Wednesday. It will be the first Bloomingdale's outlet store in the Philadelphia metropolitan area and the 16th in the country. It joins Bloomingdale's department stores at King of Prussia Mall and Willow Grove Mall.
Read more at Bloomingdale's opening city outlet store in November

Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Bloomingdale's opening city outlet store in November

Read more at Bloomingdale's opening city outlet store in November

Not excactly what I wanted, but still another good addition to CC retail. I'm sure it will be nicer than Nordstrom Rack. Bloomingdales always has a higher end appeal even in their outlet stores.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not excactly what I wanted, but still another good addition to CC retail. I'm sure it will be nicer than Nordstrom Rack. Bloomingdales always has a higher end appeal even in their outlet stores.
Bloomingdale's will be opening a full fledged department store in Philadelphia as well. Don't you worry about that.

You heard it here first.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM

54 posts, read 121,999 times
Is there any possibility that someone will work on Saks moving into CC from City Line? I know on various forums there has been talk, and my wife who worked for years in retail said this too, that Saks does a great deal of over the phone sales and this accounts for what much walk-in traffic does not. But I cannot imagine there would not be some interest in moving the store into town; maybe I'm entirely wrong, though.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukla65th View Post
Is there any possibility that someone will work on Saks moving into CC from City Line? I know on various forums there has been talk, and my wife who worked for years in retail said this too, that Saks does a great deal of over the phone sales and this accounts for what much walk-in traffic does not. But I cannot imagine there would not be some interest in moving the store into town; maybe I'm entirely wrong, though.
I do not see that happening. Saks only operates one locations in the Philly area. They are not in an expanding phase, the costs of vacating City Line and moving to CC would probably exceed the benefits of that. It will likely stay put.

Quote:
Bloomingdale's will be opening a full fledged department store in Philadelphia as well. Don't you worry about that.

You heard it here first.
I will hold you to that!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:

You heard it here first.
I can't figure our where they'd open in an existing building. Would they actually build a store from scratch?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I can't figure our where they'd open in an existing building. Would they actually build a store from scratch?
That's the problem as I said all along. Even if they wanted to build a brand new store in Center City that is on a Retail street? Or be the first in re-creating one? Where others can come in too. Where walking from one to another is not in a haphazardly fashion. You stumble upon if lucky?

The city needs to give them incentives (tax breaks). City having A PLAN to recreate such a corridor. Some quaint old 2-3 story buildings, need to be sacrificed. THEY NEED A CITY LURING AND HAVING A PLAN AHEAD OF TIME to present to them.

Some cities bend over backwards .... to give them incentives. Get their money bags jingling in their direction. These cities then get the birdie . But sadly it's true... retailing is not with bags full of expendable cash. The MOST LUCRATIVE DEALS WIN THEM. Even a new mixed use Skyscraper, could have a major Retailer at its base. Hotel, condos above if not just offices. Philly is getting some.

Like I said. It does not seem the City has a plan in this area? To LURE Bigger HIGH-END Retailers with a full size store as their aim for Center City. Many other plans in improvements, like mentioned in threads.

A certain city I won't name... Has their Bloomingdale's in the Base of new Condo Tower and a Gucci. Others like Burberry, Saks's, Nieman Marcus and Zara. Built new separate Stores. Bloomingdales also has a Furniture store in that city on another block. In a re-use of a former Medinah Temple building in landmark status.

But as you Ask??? BUT WHERE? Can they build as things are now? A new Larger Store.

Yes I know.... I'm trolling again. So Doing a self-reply for you..... How dare I again.

Last edited by steeps; 07-16-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
That's the problem as I said all along. Even if they wanted to build a brand new store in Center City that is on a Retail street? Or be the first in re-creating one? Where others can come in too. Where walking from one to another is not in a haphazardly fashion. You stumble upon if lucky?
There are actually two quite good locations, in Center City, for a brand new full service Bloomingdales. Both locations are on a, soon to re-emerge, historic retail street. Market St. Shoppers have been coming to Market to shop for over 100 years. Folks won't be stumbling around to find it.

Center City retail's primary competition is the mega mall in King of Prussia, PA. That fact has been talked about, almost to death, on this thread. There are demographic reasons why it attracts lots of high end stores. That's also been talked about to death.

The city just gave the developer of the replacement for the Gallery mall $$$$$$$ so the city is very aware of the retail landscape and how to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia