Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times

Advertisements

Up in my corner of the city at the old Tastykake Factory in East Falls/Hunting Park/Germantown construction looks to be nearing completion for a new Shop Rite, Ross clothing store and other to be named retail totaling 220,000 Square Feet. One of the stores looks to be formatted like a Lowes but that is purely my own speculation (and hope haha).

I'll try to get some pics posted in a few days.

Job accessibility takes center stage at community meeting for Bakers Centre ShopRite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
I forgot to mention perhaps the biggest news of all: Target is building a new store in King of Prussia (NOT at King of Prussia Mall) upon demolishing a small, very old shopping center which was mostly abandoned for many years. Due to there not being enough space for a traditional parking lot, the store will be built on top of a parking garage.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM

Also, it's a strange coincidence that while if Sears wanted to upgrade their awful ancient store in Vineland NJ, they could perhaps demolish the Kmart (owned by the same company, Sears Holdings Corporation) down the street for a Sears similar to this Target, with a parking garage instead of the usual parking lot.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Not philly, but and Yves Saint Laurent will be coming to King of Prussia Mall this summer, currently only 10 locations in the nation.

Here's Proof That Yves Saint Laurent is Coming to the KOP Mall - Storecasting - Racked Philly

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not philly, but and Yves Saint Laurent will be coming to King of Prussia Mall this summer, currently only 10 locations in the nation.

Here's Proof That Yves Saint Laurent is Coming to the KOP Mall - Storecasting - Racked Philly
Getting an Yves Saint Laurent is definitely a big deal for KoP, but obviously it would be nicer if retail of this caliber could locate in Center City. A store like that would definitely add some more cachet to Walnut Street.

Generally, I think Philly's retail scene is really making great progress, but a few more higher end national brands and at least one more department store (a la Nordstroms or Bloomingdales) would go a long way. The city should be able to compete for major brands that want to establish a foothold in the region.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Staff
Philadelphia Business Journal

Mall owner Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust has bought 907 Market, a 430,000-square-foot, six-story property on Market Street that lies between two PREIT-owned properties and is part of PREIT’s Gallery at Market East, for $59.6 million.

PREIT, which owns the Willow Grove Park, Cherry Hill and Moorestown malls, said the purchase is the final step in acquiring three blocks’ worth of Philadelphia real estate anchored by the Gallery, which the company feels is poised for growth.
PREIT buys Philly building - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Getting an Yves Saint Laurent is definitely a big deal for KoP, but obviously it would be nicer if retail of this caliber could locate in Center City. A store like that would definitely add some more cachet to Walnut Street.

Generally, I think Philly's retail scene is really making great progress, but a few more higher end national brands and at least one more department store (a la Nordstroms or Bloomingdales) would go a long way. The city should be able to compete for major brands that want to establish a foothold in the region.
Allen Edmonds decided on Center City instead of King of Prussia for their PA debut. I like to see both areas thrive, would love to see more fancy King of Prussia stores laid out in an urban setting in Philly.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM

I'm appalled at how Center City is littered with chain drugstores, not unlike the suburbs. But I see an opportunity in this: several chain drugstores in Center City could be closed via eminent domain and be replaced by Wine & Spirits stores. Currently, these Wine & Spirits stores are in the Center City area:

1. a small one on Chestnut

2. a so-called "superstore" on Chestnut which isn't that big

3. a very small store on JFK Boulevard

4. a very small one on South Street near the mosaic gardens

5. a bigger one on South Street close to 95

6. one on Fairmount Ave by the post office

7. a small one on South Street close to 76

8. a small one on 5th Street in Society Hill, across from the Super Fresh

Also, these drugstores are in Center City:

1. a CVS on Spruce (it was an Acme long ago)

2. a Walgreens on JFK Boulevard

3. a Rite Aid (was Eckerd) on a side street that I forget the name of, off South Street near 95

4. a Rite Aid (also was Eckerd) on Walnut

5. a Rite Aid (yet also was Eckerd) near the Franklin Institute, though I forget the street

But also, the Thriftway on South Street near 76 will probably be closing sooner than later, along with the two small Super Fresh stores on South Street and on 5th Street.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
IMHO it would be better if the whole PLCB were dissolved and some decent independent wine/liquor stores (with knowledgeable owners and sommeliers) could take the place of all of those state stores..

Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I'm appalled at how Center City is littered with chain drugstores, not unlike the suburbs. But I see an opportunity in this: several chain drugstores in Center City could be closed via eminent domain and be replaced by Wine & Spirits stores. Currently, these Wine & Spirits stores are in the Center City area:
This is what appalls you? About 90% of New York City seems to be Duane Reade. Fact is, they sell a lot of useful stuff, and there aren't a whole lot of alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia