Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Hey look! The tax is working exactly as planned: Philly beverage tax is working
This is not reporting. It is a press release written by, wait for it....Philadelphia's health commissioner. If you see answers to my questions in that piece let me know.

1. What were the sales figures before the tax?
2. What were the sales after the tax?
3. How much sales tax was collected before the tax?
4. How much sales tax collected after the tax?
5. How much more bottled water was sold after the tax?

You would think the " health commissioner" would know these figures by now. The way he framed the issue, even they sold one coke bottle, they would count the tax as extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
However you feel about the tax, I hope you're not taking their excuse at face value. Now, if other sugary beverage manufacturers follow their lead, as the article suggests, that would be a great protest tactic. But I think even that looming implication is pure posturing.
We wouldn't have to take Pepsi's word if the city would release sales figures. Instead, they are trotting out their "health commissioner" in a campaign event.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Much ado about nothing-the soda industry has been rapidly declining for over 10 years-since 2004. It will never return to the growth seen in the 1990's and prior. PepsiCo/CocaCola are taking advantage, using this convenient excuse to lay off workers and raise prices.
That's when I stopped drinking soda. I had no idea it would so profoundly effect the market.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We wouldn't have to take Pepsi's word if the city would release sales figures. Instead, they are trotting out their "health commissioner" in a campaign event.
Ouch! Lets not baffle the lunatic Left with facts.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Ouch! Lets not baffle the lunatic Left with facts.
Facts? What facts did he just supply. The city did release revenues for the tax. Guess heads were in the sand.

Revenue EXCEEDED expectations: Philly says it doubled projected revenue from soda tax in first month | PhillyVoice

A lot more soda gets drank in the warmer months (baseball games, field trips, etc.) to0 and the city expects to meet its goal for the year.

That's a fact my friend.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Facts? What facts did he just supply. The city did release revenues for the tax. Guess heads were in the sand.

Revenue EXCEEDED expectations: Philly says it doubled projected revenue from soda tax in first month | PhillyVoice

A lot more soda gets drank in the warmer months (baseball games, field trips, etc.) to0 and the city expects to meet its goal for the year.

That's a fact my friend.
Revenues? You will have "revenues" if you sell on soda bottle. Did they also release this number?

(sales tax after the ban)-(sales tax before the ban)

Hint: sales tax before the ban was not zero. How many ounces were sold before and after the ban? You got the numbers?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's when I stopped drinking soda. I had no idea it would so profoundly effect the market.
Lol-uh-oh, you've really done it this time.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Revenues? You will have "revenues" if you sell on soda bottle. Did they also release this number?

(sales tax after the ban)-(sales tax before the ban)

Hint: sales tax before the ban was not zero. How many ounces were sold before and after the ban? You got the numbers?
As others have noted, no one cares that sales are down, it literally means people are making healtheir beverage choices. It's not a "ban" on anything either.

The tax has two goals:

Help fund an expanded pre-k program. Check
Drive people to make a more healthy decision when picking a drink. Check

What do you think it has accomplished?

Also why would the city report on an individual companies sales? That's not normal.
I will explain to you why revenues from the tax is significant.

The city has a projection of how much revenue it needs to fund the program. They factored in variables such as the distributors buying less soda because consumption is down because the tax was being passed onto the consumer. That did not happen in the first month and revenue was nearly double. We need to wait and see what the next few months numbers look like before we can make a conclusive judgement on the effect. So far, it is good, and accomplishing what it set out to do.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM

If you don't know what the impact of the tax is on the overall sales tax revenue you are blowing smoke. What if the extra revenue generated by the tax is offset by declining sales tax? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't but do you have the numbers? No. So come back when you do because you have no idea what's going on.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Typical liberal idea of tax and spend yet most liberals are just little closet conservatives. They will push for tax increases that helps the needy but they will find ways around to not pay for the tax which will effectively make the tax another business and job killing law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia