Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,635,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John64mv View Post
I don't remember the exact address. But, I know for a fact that it was on Washington between 1st. and 2nd. STREET. Over on 1st Ave. was I believe 'The Phoenix?'
John

P.S. the last movie I saw there was SUPER FLY.
The Phoenix Theater was on the corner of 3rd Ave and Washington at the site of the old Elk's Opera House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM

111 posts, read 339,482 times
I recall the Strand Theater. No offense to anyone, but my grandma said it was too dirty a building and she would not let my grandpa take me to see westerns there. We snuck in anyway. I was a kid, and the seedier, the cooler.
I remember going to the American Kitchen. We were of the school of thought that anything Chinese or nearly Chinese was clean, safe eating...
but never sit down to your eats in a joint you could not see into and out of. I can't recall whether the A.K. had windows.
I also recall the two Sing-hi Restaurants. My mother ate five plum puddings for dessert at one of them the night before she delivered me in 1945. I recall the Chinese in the long robes and the queues, and the beads on long strings separating one room from another. It all was not for effect or atmosphere, but it was just the way it all really was.
The story of the name Sing-hi is said to be like this: In the 20s or 30s, the Asian man wanted to start his restaurant and wanted a sign. He did not read English and hardly spoke it. He hooked up with a sign painter who did not know geography. He told the painter that he wanted the sign to say
"Shanghai," but he said it with a great accent. The sign he got and went with simply said "Sing-hi." The rest is history. Now and then, the venerable eatery was discovered in the process of aging skinned cat on its premises. I'd give my front teeth to have been lucky enough to eat some.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM

283 posts, read 881,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
I remember going to the American Kitchen. We were of the school of thought that anything Chinese or nearly Chinese was clean, safe eating... Now and then, the venerable eatery was discovered in the process of aging skinned cat on its premises. I'd give my front teeth to have been lucky enough to eat some.
Sorry, but I have to throw in this link.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXxrMC5Pv4

Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM

And this.............................
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-no_see_your_cat-jpg.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I recall the Strand Theater. No offense to anyone, but my grandma said it was too dirty a building and she would not let my grandpa take me to see westerns there. We snuck in anyway. I was a kid, and the seedier, the cooler.
I remember going to the American Kitchen. We were of the school of thought that anything Chinese or nearly Chinese was clean, safe eating...
but never sit down to your eats in a joint you could not see into and out of. I can't recall whether the A.K. had windows.
I also recall the two Sing-hi Restaurants. My mother ate five plum puddings for dessert at one of them the night before she delivered me in 1945. I recall the Chinese in the long robes and the queues, and the beads on long strings separating one room from another. It all was not for effect or atmosphere, but it was just the way it all really was.
The story of the name Sing-hi is said to be like this: In the 20s or 30s, the Asian man wanted to start his restaurant and wanted a sign. He did not read English and hardly spoke it. He hooked up with a sign painter who did not know geography. He told the painter that he wanted the sign to say
"Shanghai," but he said it with a great accent. The sign he got and went with simply said "Sing-hi." The rest is history. Now and then, the venerable eatery was discovered in the process of aging skinned cat on its premises. I'd give my front teeth to have been lucky enough to eat some.
Yes, the Strand Theater across from the court house. There was a ticket office in front with green tiles around it. I went to see Roy Rogers, Lash LaRue, Johnny Mack Brown and a zillion others every Saturday. They had an odd balcony inside. You walked in on the ground floor and about half way in the balcony slanted up like bleachers. My parents ate at the American kitchen from the 1930's up to the 50's when it closed. It was started about 1915. I vaguely remember there was a second floor open in the center with stairs behind the cashier.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM

362 posts, read 1,702,597 times
Default Elk's Opera House

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The Phoenix Theater was on the corner of 3rd Ave and Washington at the site of the old Elk's Opera House.
And here it is. Thanx Roosevelt, I was wondering where it stood.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-elks-opera-house-copy.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
The opera house was heavily remodeled in front. Just flat with a marquee. Really strange because when you entered, there were offices 2 stories high in front then a long corridor to the theater. There were 3 women painted on the ceiling of the theater, maybe Indians.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I was wondering about the Cigar sign on the Elk's building. Took a while but it says Capadura Cigars. The company was famous for its comic baseball trading cards about 1900, they are not worth nearly as much as other baseball cards that showed actual players.

The Phoenix Theater was in the wrong location. During the 40's and 50's, Phoenix shifted east so stores west of 2nd Avenue had no business. The Boston store, later Diamond's was on 2nd Street and that was as far east as people would walk. After that heading east there were 3 Spanish film theaters, Ramona, Azteca and I think Rex.

Last edited by roosevelt; 12-18-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 PM

111 posts, read 339,482 times
Does anyone know who is the real and venerable Jack Swilling, of whom I am the namesake? Happy Christmas, Jack Swilling, wherever you are. You truly were a great man. Every one of us thanks you.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know who is the real and venerable Jack Swilling, of whom I am the namesake? Happy Christmas, Jack Swilling, wherever you are. You truly were a great man. Every one of us thanks you.
Does this help?

Jack Swilling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area