Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

"Is Tucson sheriff right??"

Pretty much.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I just watched the founder of the Tea Party, who basically said this guy was nuts, and the prevailing violence-tainted ads and political rhetoric had nothing to do with the shooting. He forgot to mention that the Tea Party candidate running against her had a campaign that he called the m-16 party, and that it was time to blow away the opposition. Now, that didn't give anybody any ideas, did it
He attended a Giffords rally back in 2007.

Quote:
According to court documents released today, authorities discovered a safe in Loughner's home with a thank you letter from Giffords for attending a Congress on Your Corner event in 2007 -- the same kind of event Loughner allegedly assaulted Saturday. Another envelope said "I planned ahead," "My assassination" and "Giffords" and bofe what appears to be Loughner's signature, the documents said.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/jared-...ry?id=12575278

Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
The current rhetoric gets to both the mentally healthy and mentally ill just the same. Someone prone to act out may feel like they are being given a direction, permission, encouragement or even just a basic idea when they hear talk of a "second amendment solution" or where there is a popular or very loud direction of hate to a class of people. Any class of people, whether based in ideology, religion, or skin color. In this country we have a great deal of freedom to speak our minds but with freedom comes responsibility. Too often we forget that our speech does have consequence, whether it's entering an agreement, breaking an agreement, injuring someone or boosting them up, or inciting action whether directly intended or not. We should each be responsible for the foreseeable consequences of both our words and our deeds.
Ahhh....no. Mentally healthy can handle a lot more things than can the mentally unstable.

Look at those sick people who lose a job and go back and shoot up their former workplace. That term "going postal" is about people who lose it, not the mentally healthy who shrug and then go look for another job.

We live in stressful times - but I suppose all times are stressful to some.

Look at the problem of bullying as another example. Some kid gets called a name at school and might feel a little bad or laugh it off - but another kid takes his victimization to heart and shows up to school with a gun or explosives and means to kill all his schoolmates.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes - he seemed to have a fascination for Gifford. Weirdly enough maybe like the fan of John Lennon who killed John Lennon.

It turns out he had been to Gifford rallies - but no evidence that he was ever at a Palin rally.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
There is plenty of hate to spew around from both our lovely Dems, and Repubs. They both breath and take in hatred. Neither party is innocent of not having hatred, how could anyone feel that one party is better then the other, nonsense. We as the people need to be tougher on both parties even that of our choosing.

But i do feel that there has been more hatred coming from the democratic party, and the bull they feed us. I have family who also live in Arizona, depending on where you live there, it is getting on the dangerous side, depending on where you live. I do believe that the dems, helped the hatred going on within Arizona.

Both parties really need to take a real hard good look at themselves, and what message they really want to convey to us. And then act upon it, not just talk about it.
You must be joking. I live here and the Dems have very little, if any, influence at all. I ought to know, as I am a frustrated one of them. I went so far as to register as a republican just so I could vote and appear on their roster, as I mysteriously was disappeared as a Democrat in the 2004 election.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Ahhh....no. Mentally healthy can handle a lot more things than can the mentally unstable.

Look at those sick people who lose a job and go back and shoot up their former workplace. That term "going postal" is about people who lose it, not the mentally healthy who shrug and then go look for another job.

Look at the problem of bullying as another example. Some kid gets called a name at school and might feel a little bad or laugh it off - but another kid takes his victimization to heart and shows up to school with a gun or explosives and means to kill all his schoolmates.
Yes, the mental illness factor in this can not be discounted. It's noteworthy than under Jan Brewer (R) mental health services were slashed in this state. I would not be at all surprised to learn this 22 year old was cut off from services if he ever had them.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
The attempts to link this nut ball to the Tea Party is a bit of a stretch and the sheriff is a partisian pin head in my opinion and as an investigator, you would think he would have the ability to also see the hateful language coming from the left lately. But to link this kid to the right seems a bit much as he hates the government, does not believe in God, reads the Communist Manifesto.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
You must be joking. I live here and the Dems have very little, if any, influence at all. I ought to know, as I am a frustrated one of them. I went so far as to register as a republican just so I could vote and appear on their roster, as I mysteriously was disappeared as a Democrat in the 2004 election.
And yet a DEMOCRATIC Congresswoman won the past election....

Pokes holes on your rantings.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, for me this is discussing. I am not calling anyone names, I am not shouting, I am calmly stating my opinions. I am also saying that those of us who live here have a better sense of the political climate than those of you who do not. The sheriff's words should be taken to heart.

Not only did we have this shooting, but we have SB1070, we have a governor who lied about decapitations in the desert (thanks from our tourist industry), a governor who cut off KidsCare even though the Federal Govt would have given her money to continue it in excess of what it cost, and our own version of Jan Brewer's death panel. I am sure most of you are not aware of this.
Misty, you've used this wicked tragedy to jump right to the purely partisan, the purely political.......to the standard, old "Republcians are haters, blah blah blah". It's not even that you meant to do so, probably. By now, it's likely just reflexive instinct.
It says far more about you than it does about the killer, America, Republicans, Beck, etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Sarah Palin can't be blamed for a sick boy/man shooting and killing people, but she can be blamed for "fireing up" those with mental illnesses with her speeches during the campaign. She got people so riled up that even her running mate, McCain, was frightened at one of his town hall speeches. He was unable to get the crowd under control and was visibly upset. She has never used positive meassures to get her messages across. She, instead, always uses negative thoughts and "fighting" words and pictures. Sarah Palin is a terrible person to consider for public office and should be prevented from continuing on this path. Her intellect does not allow her to use anything but "fighting" and "bullets" to get her point across.
If she has any compassion at all, she will back away from the public world and disappear into Alaska and live off the land as she says she believes is right. She is pathetic and I believe more and more of the public is able now to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies