Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,002,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I've got a newsflash for you kiddo. Life becomes even more precious as you reach the final years and you treasure each and every day. You may find it hard to believe that even when you are not young and beautiful you still have reasons to live but someday you will learn that you sure do....and I hope you remember the cruel words of dismissal you once used toward those who are now still loving their dwindling lives.
I'm not talking about final years, and you know it. I'm talking about the last days, when the end is inevitable.

And if life is so precious to you, save your money so that you have ample funds to pay for it. But don't expect ME to pay for YOU to enjoy your last days. THERE'S NO MORE MONEY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,322,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am inclined to say HEY GOOB why are you attacking me for no good reason. I won't do that though, i will say "Hey Sir". You refer to the newspaper as obscure. You might be right. The newspaper is "The Topeka Capital Journal Online" AND it took me about no time to find it because i read it daily. True though Kansas is rather obscure to most. Why attack
because you didn't like the article? There is no need to attack me personally because you don't have a good refute to the article. Are you saying that he is lying?
I like a good debate and you Sir do not seem up to it!
I only read the Capital Journal for 10 years when I was in the northeast part of Kansas and I have been unwilling to read it since I left there in 1969. I moved far enough away, still in Kansas, that I had to read the paper a day late and just didn't want to do that. I have lived in the State of Kansas all of my 78 years except the three I spent in the US Army.

Now lets talk a little bit about Bill Roy. He was a Republican until 1970 when he switched over to run for the US House and couldn't handle the man in office. Somehow he won as a Democrat and served two terms in the House and then he tried twice to be elected to the US Senate and was totally unsuccessful. I am sure that I voted against him both times as I didn't like Bob Dole as little as Roy did but I never liked Roy. Of course, Kassebaum was much more respected in Washington than Roy ever would have been .

I think that on the first page of this thread I listed the last paragraph of the article from Wikipedia about Roy and will let you find it yourself. It should be relatively easy since that quoted part is in red.

I really thought I was attacking Roy more than you but then you failed to see it that way. Roy is 6 years older than I am and he practiced medicine only 5 years after Medicare came into existence and then went to politics. When he couldn't get elected to the Senate he went back to medicine for a few years. I had my 33rd birthday the year Medicare was born and my dad who had company supplied insurance at the time didn't get Medicare till 1968. He always said that he liked not having to pay any of his medical expenses, but he did gripe a lot about the annual raise from BC/BS for his Medigap. I think that the people in Topeka at the Medicare offices were pretty unhappy with him because he lived for 32 years after having to take Medicare.

Oh yes, you have to take Medicare at 65, even today. One week before my 65th birthday I was informed of that little rule by BC/BS, also. It is good but it makes me sick to see them paying, sometimes less than 50% of what they are asked for. I hope that you and Bill Roy know that the state Medicare Board determines what they will pay for each procedure and sometimes it doesn't look to hot to me. I keep wondering why people can't see that since Medicare forces care givers to take what they think they should get is somewhat silly but most non Medicare recipients don't know about what goes on.

You go ahead and accuse me of attacking you and when you have been around as long as I have and experience that as much as I do from left leaners you may realize what I was saying.

***I don’t think we want to go back to where we were before Medicare and Medicaid, though all but four Republicans in the U S House believe they can limit federal responsibility, squeeze a few more dollars out of the sick and the poor, and pass them on to billion-dollar health insurance executives--and in further tax cuts for the rich.***

Those are the last words from Roy in that opinion piece that you linked me to. If you can't see what he was saying then I will take it for granted that talking points from the Dem Party are what you see and nothing else. Obviously, you and Roy really do believe that killing grandma is what Ryan wants. What do the Democrats have in place of that? Go ahead and say, of course, Obamacare. You know, the law that will take $50 annually from Medicare for 10 years. How do we have anything left for the old folks after they take that $500 billion from Medicare? I just don't see any sense to that, but sure do see that the Medicare Boards will be deciding what procedures will be paid for ahead of time. That looks so much to me like Death Panels at work.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 06-02-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,264,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one doctors opinion and he has a right to it. I know my reletives who were seniors prior to 1965 didn't feel this way. They did seek medical care when needed (no they didn't run to the doctors like many do today) but the main reason some died too young was due more to poor diagnostic proceedures than lack of facilities and money.

Nita
What was their station in life. Were they able to afford insurance or were they insurable but without and paid there own costs?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,978,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise
...it's a "take care of yourself, and stop expecting others to do that for you" mentality.
That's the extreme right-wing philosophy. If mankind had that belief throughout history we'd still be living in caves, hunting on our own.

To build a productive society requires collective action. If we left it up to the "take care of yourself" crowd, we wouldn't have roads, canals or other infrastructure as well as public education. The above philosophy is not far from "if you can't afford to send your kids to private school, let them be illiterate."

More civilized thinkers believe that "if you agree to take care of me when I need it, I agree to take care of you, when you need it," works better to form advanced civilizations.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,002,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yes, Medicare will not end but I can replace the system that we have now with a system that gives you only two aspirins and call that Medicare -- but it won't be the same system.

What Ryan's Plan does is replace today's Medicare with a system that provides vouchers worth about 1/3 the cost of insurance and sends future seniors out into the marketplace to buy insurance. Worse, is that as time goes on, the voucher amount doesn't keep up with the cost of insurance.

It's a disingenuous plan that presumes that there are insurance companies willing to insure senior citizens at a price that they can afford. That was the reason Medicare was created in the first place -- seniors couldn't get insurance!!!

To say that Medicare is going to die anyway ignores the fact that budgets are choices. The Ryan Plan, along with savaging Medicare, also reduces tax-rates on the rich from 35% to 25%. That illustrates exactly GOP priorities -- cut taxes on the rich and declare that they have 'no choice' but to cut people's benefits. Well, there is a choice. Tax the wealthy and corporations that aren't paying any taxes enough to provide for the general welfare of our seniors.

By the way, my late Dad was a decorated World War II veteran (who volunteered on Monday, December 8, 1941) who fought the Nazis in North Africa so that you can have the freedom to mouth off here using your First Amendment rights. You should have more respect for brave men such as he.
By the way, my dad served in the Korean conflict, then returned to the US and became a police officer, protecting the citizens of my city every day.

Please show me ANYWHERE that I disrespected your dad.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,264,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I only read the Capital Journal for 10 years when I was in the northeast part of Kansas and I have been unwilling to read it since I left there in 1969. I moved far enough away, still in Kansas, that I had to read the paper a day late and just didn't want to do that. I have lived in the State of Kansas all of my 78 years except the three I spent in the US Army.

Now lets talk a little bit about Bill Roy. He was a Republican until 1970 when he switched over to run for the US House and couldn't handle the man in office. Somehow he won as a Democrat and served two terms in the House and then he tried twice to be elected to the US Senate and was totally unsuccessful. I am sure that I voted against him both times as I didn't like Bob Dole as little as Roy did but I never liked Roy. Of course, Kassebaum was much more respected in Washington than Roy ever would have been .

I think that on the first page of this thread I listed the last paragraph of the article from Wikipedia about Roy and will let you find it yourself. It should be relatively easy since that quoted part is in red.

I really thought I was attacking Roy more than you but then you failed to see it that way. Roy is 6 years older than I am and he practiced medicine only 5 years after Medicare came into existence and then went to politics. When he couldn't get elected to the Senate he went back to medicine for a few years. I had my 33rd birthday the year Medicare was born and my dad who had company supplied insurance at the time didn't get Medicare till 1968. He always said that he liked not having to pay any of his medical expenses, but he did gripe a lot about the annual raise from BC/
Your own words."I am using that attack the messenger tactic you libs like so well. Does it feel good to get it used on you"?

Is this one of those SARA PALIN "gotcha moments"?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,978,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Just one question for you - how to you feel about your messiah Obama savaging Medicare?
First, only the hard-right addresses this President as "the messiah," no liberals do.

Second, you show your ignorance about the Health Care Act. The Health Care Act did not cut funds from Medicare, it cut funds from the private Medicare Advantage plan, in which Medicare beneficiaries were given the option to receive their Medicare benefits through private health insurance plans. These plans are much more expensive. Some say that it was a rip-off.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Yep "save up" for the hundreds of thousands end of life care will cost you.

I just wish more republicans would actually SAY THIS IN PUBLIC!

End of life care is a waste. A huge part of our problem is the exorbitant spending on people with a few months to live. Their quality of life is at zero, yet we spend billions trying to keep grandmas alive for 2 more months.

This only happens because the decision makers are spending other people's money. If it's not worth $500,000 of your money to keep your grandma alive for two or three months, why do you think it's worth spending $500,000 of other people's money to keep your grandma alive for two or three months???

Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
End of life care is a waste. A huge part of our problem is the exorbitant spending on people with a few months to live. Their quality of life is at zero, yet we spend billions trying to keep grandmas alive for 2 more months.

This only happens because the decision makers are spending other people's money. If it's not worth $500,000 of your money to keep your grandma alive for two or three months, why do you think it's worth spending $500,000 of other people's money to keep your grandma alive for two or three months???
I wonder who were these decision makers... would it be those running around with the "death panel" rhetoric to woo the voters?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

To build a productive society requires collective action. If we left it up to the "take care of yourself" crowd, we wouldn't have roads, canals or other infrastructure as well as public education.

Collective action is not necessarily government action. Government is not a requirement to build roads.

In fact, health insurance is "collective action" without government and it would work quite well if we got government out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies