Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
"Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups."

AP Exclusive: Amid abortion debate, Komen cancer charity halting grants to Planned Parenthood - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ap-exclusive-amid-abortion-debate-komen-cancer-charity-halting-grants-to-planned-parenthood/2012/01/31/gIQA5LbffQ_story.html - broken link)

I am sure glad that Komen is not a tax free organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM

653 posts, read 946,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

Posted by monkeywrenching
really? I took my ex to a planned parenthood clinic a few years ago and was told by them that planned parenthood does not provide mammograms or screen for cancer.

Screening for breast cancer is done routinely with a physical examination, and it's still a screening. The xray mammograms are expensive and from what I understand most PP don't have the actual mammogram. They refer out, just as most family practitioners and gynocologists do.

As for not screening for cancer, PP most certainly does. They have always done paps, and that is cancer screening. Breast exams are always done when a woman gets a pap. A pap is always done before a woman is prescribed birth control. That IS what PP does, and what they've always done. Since their inception that is what they are know for from normal people. Either your girlfriend lied to you, or you are confused, or lying. I know darn well you weren't in the exam room with her.

LOL, we women know what the hell happens and what is going on.
I heart Ecovlke. +1, as usual.

BTW, if PP doesn't do cancer screenings, how is it then, that they detected my cancer?

The good news about Komen making such a mess of things is that #1, it's raised a lot of exposure for PP, and #2, it's opened a nationwide discussion about women's health and Planned Parenthood so those who are misinformed, such as monkeywrenching and many others, can be better educated. Win, win.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, it's about responsibility. Actions have consequences. If someone has sex without a condom they might get pregnant...
arctichomesteader, I see you have no response yet to my previous post to you regarding meat vs abortion. It's understandable that you can't come up with an answer to something as logical as I laid out for you (because I'm awesome like that - yes, I'm being playful, not spiteful). Perhaps you're having a change of heart. Wouldn't that be amazing?

Not to single you out, but as for this post you made above, some food for thought...

- Did you grow up in a loving home? I didn't.
- Were your parents abusive, mentally and physically? Mine were.
- Did you have a severely mentally ill parent? I did.
- Were you a planned pregnancy? I wasn't.

I'm just going to lay my entire life out there (something I very, very rarely do). Had my mother had an abortion, I wouldn't be standing here today yet I can STILL say that just because someone gets pregnant does not mean they are capable of being a fit parent. If I were in her shoes with her level of mental illness, I WOULD have had an abortion since she couldn't even care for herself, let alone a child. It's not her fault. Who chooses to be that ill?

And if you ask why she got pregnant? Well, I was a mistake. Her birth control (yes, that was administered by her physician - not her), was compromised and she accidentally got pregnant. My father sold his Harley to buy a home in the worst part of town since that's all they could afford, worked 2-3 jobs to pay for her medical bills since she was in and out of mental institutions which aren't cheap, so he wasn't home much to raise me.

When she wasn't so medicated that she was sleeping and drooling on herself, there was a lot of violence in the home. There were times when my father feared for my life, leaving me with her alone, yet he had to work to put food on the table.

Who suffers when the abortion doesn't take place and an unfit parent proceeds with giving birth? The child. And I am speaking from experience.

You say "No, it's about responsibility. Actions have consequences. If someone has sex without a condom they might get pregnant...". So, why should the child pay the price for the adult becoming an unfit parent vs having an abortion? Please tell me that.

I grew up in the lowest income section of Baltimore county where teen pregnancy was so high, it was a joke that you weren't from my neighborhood if you were a teen and didn't have five kids, no teeth, no job, poor grammar, and a drug problem. I managed to escape all that (I have no children yet at 35yo, I get compliments on my perfect teeth, I have a successful job even in a recession, and I don't use drugs). My heart goes out to those children being born to parents that are still children themselves, completely unfit to be a good parent.

I think we are on the same side of not wanting to see a child suffer via abortion or being born to an unfit parent. Perhaps the better solution is not to debate whether or not abortion should be legal, but about how to prevent pregnancy in the first place? That seems much more productive for everyone (the child, the parent, and society) to me (as ultimately, those children of children often become unfit child parents themselves; on top of having unfit parents which means the children usually have run-ins with the law which creates more crime - what a mess for the child and society all around).

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-04-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Cliff Stearns Congressmen from Fla asked for the investigation into PPH.

"Although I wasn't involved in either decision, it is clear that Planned Parenthood does not need the Komen funding," Stearns said in his statement.
"I believe that Planned Parenthood could be, and should be, totally self-sufficient, as with so many other non-profit organizations, and spare America's hard-pressed taxpayers the $487 million Planned Parenthood received in public funding."

U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns defends investigation into Planned Parenthood | Ocala.com

Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Cliff Stearns Congressmen from Fla asked for the investigation into PPH.

"Although I wasn't involved in either decision, it is clear that Planned Parenthood does not need the Komen funding," Stearns said in his statement.
"I believe that Planned Parenthood could be, and should be, totally self-sufficient, as with so many other non-profit organizations, and spare America's hard-pressed taxpayers the $487 million Planned Parenthood received in public funding."

U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns defends investigation into Planned Parenthood | Ocala.com
I think tax payers should fund PP because when someone without health insurance needs cancer treatment, they're an even larger financial burden on society, no?

When I found out from PP that I had cancer, I was a student getting my BS after my divorce, and had plans to go to graduate school. When PP told me I had cancer and needed immediate treatment, I put graduate school on hold, took the first job I could find (they'd been after me for months), got insurance, expedited biopsy and bloodwork, and was undergoing cancer treatment just 7 short weeks after diagnosis. Not everyone can be so lucky to quickly change their situation and obtain other means of medical treatment which causes a huge strain on taxpayers. Prevention ultimately saves our country money, and that's what screenings at PP does - provides prevention.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
No, it's about responsibility. Actions have consequences. If someone has sex without a condom they might get pregnant...
Ye actions have consequences, so whats the solution, doing nothing will increase the amount of single parent, no parent, children.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I think tax payers should fund PP because when someone without health insurance needs cancer treatment, they're an even larger financial burden on society, no?

When I found out from PP that I had cancer, I was a student getting my BS after my divorce, and had plans to go to graduate school. When PP told me I had cancer and needed immediate treatment, I put graduate school on hold, took the first job I could find (they'd been after me for months), got insurance, expedited biopsy and bloodwork, and was being treated just 7 short weeks after diagnosis. Not everyone can be so lucky to quickly change their situation and obtain other means of medical treatment which causes a huge strain on taxpayers. Prevention ultimately saves our country money, and that's what screenings at PP does - provides prevention.
Obviously they fill a need that isn't addressed by clinics for those that have no coverage. The investigation has been in the courts for sometime and goes back to 2004 and will take several years to complete.

Once again this is really about PPH receiving federal funds, seems like the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's investgative subcommittee should have better things to investigate, like the $4 billion in tax breaks to companies like Exxon?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Only if they're female. The males are free to go do it again, and again, and again.. . . . .

Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
I hope this whole ordeal makes women speak up more and realize that the Republican party is very out of touch with the average woman. Get these socially conservative Republicans out already.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
i hope this whole ordeal makes women speak up more and realize that the republican party is very out of touch with the average woman. Get these socially conservative republicans out already.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies