Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I have technology that will keep that human alive. It's called a law against murder and involves a prison cell for those who are so selfish they think they have a right to murder.
Oh ok. Well, good luck with that dream of theocracy. But why prison cells? Why not stonings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
OK, on another note, this whole debate opened up a can of worms that I'm sure the Komen folks were not expecting. It has come to my attention that the organization spends 60% of its take on overhead, lawsuits, high salaries and administrative costs. Seems like an audit is long overdue. I've given to them in the past, but I'll be looking for another outfit that spends more of its $ on the people it serves. Komen is finished.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I haven't referenced religion once in this thread. I don't need to either. This isn't a women's rights issue. This is a matter of murder not being tolerated. Plenty of women are being murdered by abortionists, what about their rights?

You've repeatedly expressed your OPINION that abortion is murder.
The rights of a living woman trump the rights of a potential woman.

How do you know that?
Well, the wonders of modern technology allow me to research, right in my home, any topic I desire....

Quote:
Before 30 weeks gestational age, EEG activity is extremely limited and somatosensory evoked potentials are immature, lacking components which correlate with information processing within the cerebral cortex. Thus, 30 weeks is considered a more plausible stage of fetal development at which the lower boundary for sentience could be placed.

Read More: When is the Capacity for Sentience Acquired During Human Fetal Development?, Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, Informa Healthcare

Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh ok. Well, good luck with that dream of theocracy. But why prison cells? Why not stonings?
It doesn't require theocracy to oppose mass murder.

Prison cells would work fine. No need for that barbaric stoning stuff.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
OK, on another note, this whole debate opened up a can of worms that I'm sure the Komen folks were not expecting. It has come to my attention that the organization spends 60% of its take on overhead, lawsuits, high salaries and administrative costs. Seems like an audit is long overdue. I've given to them in the past, but I'll be looking for another outfit that spends more of its $ on the people it serves. Komen is finished.
I noticed that also.... I'm not saying they're finished with me yet but it did raise an eyebrow.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, the wonders of modern technology allow me to research, right in my home, any topic I desire....
Others disagree:

"We state categorically that no finding of modern fetology invalidates the remarkable conclusion drawn after a lifetime of research by the late Professor Arnold Gesell of Yale University. In The Embryology of Behavior: The Beginnings of the Human Mind (1945, Harper Bros.), Dr. Gesell wrote, 'and so by the close of the first trimester the fetus is a sentient, moving being. We need not speculate as to the nature of his psychic attributes, but we may assert that the organization of his psychosomatic self is well under way.' " http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_pain2.htm

No one really can answer that question at this time, yet you're willing to gamble with that.

But this is a side issue and distraction really, it's a human at all stages of development, and there is no right to take its life because someone else finds it inconvenient.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Others disagree:

"We state categorically that no finding of modern fetology invalidates the remarkable conclusion drawn after a lifetime of research by the late Professor Arnold Gesell of Yale University. In The Embryology of Behavior: The Beginnings of the Human Mind (1945, Harper Bros.), Dr. Gesell wrote, 'and so by the close of the first trimester the fetus is a sentient, moving being. We need not speculate as to the nature of his psychic attributes, but we may assert that the organization of his psychosomatic self is well under way.' " http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_pain2.htm

No one really can answer that question at this time, yet you're willing to gamble with that.

But this is a side issue and distraction really, it's a human at all stages of development, and there is no right to take its life because someone else finds it inconvenient.
Research from 1945? So wait in your new utopia there will be no access to abortion, no stonings, and no modern science and technology?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Komen Backlash Wrongheaded - Kathryn Lopez - Townhall Conservative

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Others disagree:

Have you ever been pregnant? I have - twice, both times with great joy and anticipation. My feelings about abortion are mixed - not sure I could make the choice to have one. However, my feelings about abortion apply to ME only. My body, my choice - not yours.

We're done here. Every thing that can be said has been said. Have a good evening...

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Research from 1945? So wait in your new utopia there will be no access to abortion, no stonings, and no modern science and technology?
What makes you say that? Not even the most recent studies agree on this matter. Many doctors and scientists rely on findings older than that too. It's valid until a contrary position is conclusively supported. I'm quite happy with modern science. The date of viability outside the womb is earlier and earlier all the time, and may be pushed to the very start, eliminating any grounds the murderers have to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies