Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's continued war on business. Now he's attempting to force decreased productivity for those who work from within their vehicles.
You hit the nail on the head. People who've never ran a lemonade stand, much less a bona fide business, would never understand your point. See the posts above this one for your proof. They stand out like a sore thumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you deny that productivity will decrease when people are forbidden from conducting business by phone in their vehicles?

The great majority of people using their cellphones when driving are NOT doing business!

AND - Is biz productivity so great these days, compared to maybe 20 years ago, when people were Not using cellphones in their car? Can you show where the use of cellphones in cars has increased productivity?

I always did my business in the office, or in a location where I could take notes during a conversation, or mark my calendar or similar.

The proof is too strong that cellphone use while driving is extremely dangerous, much more so than talking to a passenger.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
The great majority of people using their cellphones when driving are NOT doing business!

AND - Is biz productivity so great these days, compared to maybe 20 years ago, when people were Not using cellphones in their car? Can you show where the use of cellphones in cars has increased productivity?

I always did my business in the office, or in a location where I could take notes during a conversation, or mark my calendar or similar.

The proof is too strong that cellphone use while driving is extremely dangerous, much more so than talking to a passenger.
You're being obtuse. Or you just don't have a clue what it means to run a business these days. Right, Coach?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

Do you change radio stations or talk to passengers? if so you are just as distracted.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
They could always pull over.
Yes and they should. I cannot believe the idiocy of some people. How was the Revolutionary War won? How did the Industrial Revolution get off the ground? How did we land a man on the Moon? How did the skyscrapers get built...and so on, so on, so on?

The world did not rely on cell phones until a relatively short time ago. Are people that dumbed down??? I suppose they are.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're being obtuse. Or you just don't have a clue what it means to run a business these days. Right, Coach?

30 years of running a successful department of a very successful company, and then running my own consulting business, so that now, in my 60's, I serve only in a volunteer capacity.

I stand corrected however if someone can show that the majority of in-car cellphone users are conducting business. I seriously doubt that even 5% are doing so, and of those that are, almost every conversation can wait the minutes until the driver can get to his office or parking lot.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Would you ban GPS systems and talking to passengers under the same pretense?
Not the same, and you can talk to people without looking at them.

I don't know about you, but if I have someone talking to me who is sitting in the back of the car, I converse with them without turning around and looking at them.

And regarding doing business on the phone, most of these people aren't doing business at all.

The scariest ones are those who are sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to turn left or right as cars zoom by them doing 50 mph and they're on the phone.

All it takes is for them to decide to make that turn at the wrong time and then there is a horrific accident.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not the same, and you can talk to people without looking at them.

I don't know about you, but if I have someone talking to me who is sitting in the back of the car, I converse with them without turning around and looking at them.

And regarding doing business on the phone, most of these people aren't doing business at all.

The scariest ones are those who are sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to turn left or right as cars zoom by them doing 50 mph and they're on the phone.

All it takes is for them to decide to make that turn at the wrong time and then there is a horrific accident.
You look at a person while you talk to them on a cell phone?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I think it is ironic that the Secretary of Transportation probably rides around in a limo or with someone else driving him... all the while, he talks on his phone... come on, you know its true...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is ironic that the Secretary of Transportation probably rides around in a limo or with someone else driving him... all the while, he talks on his phone... come on, you know its true...
That's not irony. It would be ironic if the Secretary of Transportation were driving himself around, talking/texting at the same time, and calling for this ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies