Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Most people don't care if you're gay or not so it really has no effect on how they vote.

If your number one concern while voting this November is "gay rights" well you probably need to reevaluate your priorities.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

There are so many other more serious issues that affect everyone, "gay rights" should be way down on anyone's priority list. If the country continues on its downward spiral and the dollar implodes, everyone will be in dire straits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
What exactly is their concern and how is Obama supporting "your cause?"

well, for one he helped to end DADT

and secondly he is NOT defending DOMA in court and has ordered the justice department to NOT defend it and says that it's unconstitutional. (which it is)

he is also going to try to get ENDA passed after the elections

my parents and siblings consider my relationship with my partner to be just as important as theirs and my parents wish i could get married, they love him just as much as they would if i was with a woman. he's a great guy

Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

There are so many other more serious issues that affect everyone, "gay rights" should be way down on anyone's priority list. If the country continues on its downward spiral and the dollar implodes, everyone will be in dire straits.

why would gay rights be down on GAY PEOPLE'S lists. those issues affect me daily and so they also affect my family

Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 AM

49 posts, read 84,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Exactly what is it that you think Obama will do in regards to gay rights? He's been in office for almost 4 years and he's done nothing, yet you think that he will transform into the Gay's Jesus in his second term?
The Democrats will never do anything about it either. It's a great risk for no reward at all -- gays already vote for them. Why risk losing religious voters, of which there are many millions, to please people who already vote for you? Politics is a numbers game, and they know it is akin to walking up to a roulette table and putting your life savings on 18 red.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petasus View Post
The Democrats will never do anything about it either. It's a great risk for no reward at all -- gays already vote for them. Why risk losing religious voters, of which there are many millions, to please people who already vote for you? Politics is a numbers game, and they know it is akin to walking up to a roulette table and putting your life savings on 18 red.

right and for every gay person you lost probably like FIVE additional votes. that might be around 30 PERCENT of the american population. a numbers game.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Wow. Who knew that having a gay brother or sister or son or daughter automatically obligated the family member to vote Democrat...

My Uncle was a General. Do I have to vote for the GOP every single election?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I would never vote for a President based on a marriage issue. I don't think it's the government's business to decide who can and can't be married and would prefer to see them out of the equation. Let the houses of worship handle the marriage licensing along with the ceremony. If it's against any particular religion, they don't have to issue the license/perform the ceremony. There are plenty of other houses of worship that will.

By the same token the government should get out of the marriage tax breaks business.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I used to not understand why republicans are so ignorant and wished they would use common sense, but then I realized it's good for them to expose their ignorance so people will see them for who they are.

We want them to lose votes, so as far as I'm concerned, I hope more of these wackos keep running their mouths.
Couldn't say it better myself

Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
well, for one he helped to end DADT

and secondly he is NOT defending DOMA in court and has ordered the justice department to NOT defend it and says that it's unconstitutional. (which it is)

he is also going to try to get ENDA passed after the elections
Don't forget extending some benefits to partners of gay federal employees.

It's funny how all those things get characterized as nothing.

Incidentally, Biden was on Meet the Press this weekend backing same sex marriage. What's Romney's position on same sex marriage? Oh right, he supports writing discrimination into the US constitution.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Wow. Who knew that having a gay brother or sister or son or daughter automatically obligated the family member to vote Democrat...

My Uncle was a General. Do I have to vote for the GOP every single election?

it doesn't obligate you but most DECENT people who actually LOVE their family member would never vote for a party that is AGAINST someone having equal rights because of an unchosen trait.

also bad anology a general is a CAREER and it is chosen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies