Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Most people don't care if you're gay or not so it really has no effect on how they vote.

If your number one concern while voting this November is "gay rights" well you probably need to reevaluate your priorities.
So you think a person that is looking out after themselves needs to reevaluate their priorities?

Isn't looking out for yourself a tenant of the GOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
IMO, I think it's time for the government to get out of marriage. Everything that it gets its hands on, outside of its role as protector of Constitutional individual rights and civil liberties, it messes it up. For example, it has involved itself in marriage, hence single people are discriminated against under the tax code and treated differently which shouldn't be the case. Marriage at the legal level should be devolved to just another common law contract enforceable by the courts.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Gay rights is a very serious issue. How many gay people do you know? Got any clue how much homophobia and indifference hurts them? I know plenty of people whose lives were ruined because somebody thougth they were lesser for being gay. As in, losing millions of dollars or being denied veterans benefits (because that's what the military's policy did against gays).
At 76 I have known quite a few over the years. One can hardly live in today's world and be unaware of how much psychological harm is visited upon people who fall outside of certain parameters whether that be race, sexual preferences--even genetic conditions such as dwarfism. Bigotry, for one group or another, will always be with us; it cannot be legislated away because it has its existence in people's minds. Gays--or anyone who is made to feel "lesser" because of some condition that falls outside certain parameters--have need of support structures to help them realize that they are just fine the way they are. What you describe are personal, psychological issues and are best dealt with from that aspect.

Not to be dismissive but gay rights is not the top issue for people who have lost their jobs and/or their homes. I think most people are more worried about their own economic futures than they are about whether gays can marry or not. If, as seems more and more a possibility, we see a collapse of the dollar with individual's net worth wiped out across the board for countless millions, minority issues will pale in comparison.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 05-07-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
its not an either/or issue. You can worry about your job and the economy without having to choose to throw gays, bisexuals, and transgender people under the bus. In fact, vote Democrat and then you have a party that has devoted alot to economic issues and has historically supported the LGBT community more than the Republicans. Unconflicted voting.

If anything, I know alot of persons in the LGBT community that are hurt disproportionately by the economy. So its not a case of having to choose which issues are more important. Republicans, on the other hand, propose lame solutions to the economy that historically have not worked, and they don't care at all about gay rights. The only support that the LGBT community has for Republicans is among those few gay men or lesbians that don't mind sitting on the back of the bus or being a sycophant to serve their economy interests and throw their romantic fulfillment under a bus. The overwhelming number of gays I've met are libertarian or progressive Democrats.

Last edited by DT113876; 05-07-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM

749 posts, read 839,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Mitt Romney might not care about the gay vote because we're only around 5% of the population, but if you include our families and close friends that number would mean that many more people are guaranteed not to vote for you. if you are against gay rights.

i have a mother and father and brother and sister and a close friend, who all would definitely NOT vote for Mitt Romney or MOST republicans and it's all because i'm gay. some of them used to vote republican at least half the time but now they never do if that republican is an anti gay republican in ANY WAY. they vote this way because of ME.

if you figure this in doesn't the gay vote actually go up to close to 30-40 percent of the population?
So you're asking Republicans to forgo their morals/beliefs for a vote?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
its not an either/or issue. You can worry about your job and the economy without having to choose to throw gays, bisexuals, and transgender people under the bus. In fact, vote Democrat and then you have a party that has devoted alot to economic issues and has historically supported the LGBT community more than the Republicans. Unconflicted voting.

If anything, I know alot of persons in the LGBT community that are hurt disproportionately by the economy. So its not a case of having to choose which issues are more important. Republicans, on the other hand, propose lame solutions to the economy that historically have not worked, and they don't care at all about gay rights. The only support that the LGBT community has for Republicans is among those few gay men or lesbians that don't mind sitting on the back of the bus or being a sycophant to serve their economy interests and throw their romantic fulfillment under a bus. The overwhelming number of gays I've met are libertarian or progressive Democrats.
Which is it going to be? Gays are to be pigeon-holed into a special "victim" class with special protections and "rights" or gays are to be elevated to full and equal status as American citizens without regard for their sexual orientation? It can't be both ways.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Exactly what is it that you think Obama will do in regards to gay rights? He's been in office for almost 4 years and he's done nothing...
<cough> DADT <cough>

Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
As long as you and your family are doing well enough financially, your gay issues will continue to dominate your everyday life, as is evidenced by the countless gay-themed threads you have started. If the economic woes of the Western world continue on their downward spiral and we have a situation where the money we have in our pockets buys less and less every single day, your priorities may change.
I'm gay and this is what I'm thinking. The broader picture is that our rights are being taken away more and more from BOTH parties. The fact that there is more openness to gay rights in some circles is more than cancelled out by our loss of other civil and economic rights in recent decades.

IOW, I'm not going to care whether or not I can marry my BF if we end up bankrupt like Greece, and that's where we are headed, and neither party is doing anything to stop the train wreck.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I would thaink the California vote on gay marriage settled this question as to where the question stands as far as influencing votes.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Mitt Romney might not care about the gay vote because we're only around 5% of the population, but if you include our families and close friends that number would mean that many more people are guaranteed not to vote for you. if you are against gay rights.

i have a mother and father and brother and sister and a close friend, who all would definitely NOT vote for Mitt Romney or MOST republicans and it's all because i'm gay. some of them used to vote republican at least half the time but now they never do if that republican is an anti gay republican in ANY WAY. they vote this way because of ME.

if you figure this in doesn't the gay vote actually go up to close to 30-40 percent of the population?
Except for those of use who ARE gay and still republican...and all our friends and family. LOL!

Listen. MONEY is power. Not some kooky crap the government decides they can give you (and take away from you at a whim). You cannot legislate tolerance. But if you get to keep your money, you have your own power. I vote for who lets me keep my money.

And frankly, there are too many other important issues to make the whole gay thing the only reason you vote democrat. Too many more important things facing this country.

Besides, making that an issue is a democrat smoke-screen to make you vote for them. They had an EFFIN' supermajority and didn't get crap done about gay marriage when they had a chance. Screw 'em. They are liars and using you for your vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies