Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
why would gay rights be down on GAY PEOPLE'S lists. those issues affect me daily and so they also affect my family
As long as you and your family are doing well enough financially, your gay issues will continue to dominate your everyday life, as is evidenced by the countless gay-themed threads you have started. If the economic woes of the Western world continue on their downward spiral and we have a situation where the money we have in our pockets buys less and less every single day, your priorities may change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Where is gay marriage, or anything about marriage discussed in the US Constitution?

i don't know how many times i have to say this, i can't believe how many republicans haven't taken a history course or a government course in college.. how is that possible?

the CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES was NEVER MEANT to really address many specific laws. that was the inherent GENIUS OF IT. because that way it could adapt with the times. it addresss BROAD issues.

FRANCES constitution when it became a democracy DID this, and they went through FIFTY constitutions in about a century.

the FOURTEENTH amendment is VERY CLEAR that ANY Law or PRIVILEDGE that comes from the GOVERNMENT must be applied EQUALLY to ALL PEOPLE.

what THAT mean s is that IF people of the STRAIGHT orientation can get married legally than SO CAN GAY PEOPLE... or else NOBODY can.

marriage is something that BENEFITS people through LEGAL actions from the government.

if you think that YOU shouild get to have a life where YOU have NO RISK OF LOSS with this issue and get to decide if I GET IT, you have NO IDEA what country you live in.

in THIS country NOBODY has the right to vote on OTHER people's rights unless we're voting on if EVERYBODY can get married or not. that's why it's inherently unfair to VOTE on it. it's somoene ELSES right you're voting on NOT YOUR OWN, and there is no risk of LOSS to YOU so the issue doesn't impact you appropriately enough for you to vote on.

if you don't like that, find a country that is more suitable for you.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
As long as you and your family are doing well enough financially, your gay issues will continue to dominate your everyday life, as is evidenced by the countless gay-themed threads you have started. If the economic woes of the Western world continue on their downward spiral and we have a situation where the money we have in our pockets buys less and less every single day, your priorities may change.

i doubt that will happen, but i will never vote for anybody who wants to deny me PERSONAL happyiness while THEY enjoy it because i'm part of a minorty that is the current 'other' for religion to battle against to keep itself going through hatred and fear.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Most people don't care if you're gay or not so it really has no effect on how they vote.

If your number one concern while voting this November is "gay rights" well you probably need to reevaluate your priorities.
Removing BIGOTS from power is my number one priority.

It should be everyone's number one priority, IMO.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM

112 posts, read 123,543 times
Rlarson, I haven't been here long but I've noticed this forum seems to be pretty homophobe-heavy, much more so than other places I visit. The majority of the country is on our side however (as a straight supporter of equal rights for the LGBT community) and moving more and more so every day. I said this in another thread, but as the more bigoted generations die off, they are being replaced with much more socially tolerant generations. The bigots are slowly but surely losing this battle as people realize what a non-issue it is.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i doubt that will happen, but i will never vote for anybody who wants to deny me PERSONAL happyiness while THEY enjoy it because i'm part of a minorty that is the current 'other' for religion to battle against to keep itself going through hatred and fear.
I hope it doesn't happen either but the future is not a given. As for believing there are people who "want to deny you PERSONAL happiness"--and I say this as gently as possible--if you really believe that other people vote the way they do with a goal of denying you happiness, then you really need to look at the situation and ask yourself: Is my happiness dependent upon how other people vote? If so, isn't it then your job show those MFers that you don't care diddly squat what they think or how they vote, you'll be happy in spite of them?

"Living well is the best revenge".

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That isnt necessarily true. Someone might accept that someone is gay but doesnt mean they support gay marriage
thank you: we have a gay foster daughter, even she has mixed feelings about gay marriage and she will celebrate her 20th anniversary with her partner next year. Like many, she believes marriage is as it says: between a man and a woman. Other than that, of course she believes is equal rights for gays as well as everyone. So do I....I will add, she has a room mate, no, not her partner who happens to be a lesbian and a vegan, also a Republian who is supporting Romney.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
Rlarson, I haven't been here long but I've noticed this forum seems to be pretty homophobe-heavy, much more so than other places I visit. The majority of the country is on our side however (as a straight supporter of equal rights for the LGBT community) and moving more and more so every day. I said this in another thread, but as the more bigoted generations die off, they are being replaced with much more socially tolerant generations. The bigots are slowly but surely losing this battle as people realize what a non-issue it is.
Have you read many other threads on here? Certainly the forum is balanced between homophobics, pro gay supporters, Republicans, Democrats etc. As for bigots, there are enough on both sides, it is not a 1 side issue and there are many ways to be bigotted. Just because someone doesn't agree with a particular issue doesn't make them bigots.

Nita

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
The bigots are slowly but surely losing this battle as people realize what a non-issue it is.
Exactly.

The anti-gay crowd (and yes, CD is very heavy in that department) can see the writing on the wall. Go back a decade or two and the pro-discrimination, anti-equality crowd was a clear majority. Now, most Americans support same sex marriage. They're looking at what is quite possibly their last chance to get discrimination permanently (as in, for the next 20 or 30 years) written into law. That means they really need to win state elections to kill marriage bills and back a federal marriage ban (although that's unlikely to ever go anywhere). And they need to win the White House so they can stack the supreme court with people who think the constitution only applies to straight people. If they don't succeed now, they'll never succeed.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Removing BIGOTS from power is my number one priority.

It should be everyone's number one priority, IMO.

Absolutely...enough is enough. I notice that Romney refusing to support his gay foreign policy advisor just flew by the heads of GOP posters. It's a shame, because by all accounts he was a sharp cookie. That seems to indicate that a Romney administration would take us right back to a straight white male set of "leaders;" that's no longer acceptable, nor does it reflect the population of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies