Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

It's true. Not one of their demands has to do with student academics.

It's all about them and their jobs. Stable employment, current healthcare benefits and them not held to student failure accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll tell you something..alt cert teachers who have been in industry and then switch to teaching are looked down upon by career teachers and are treated as less than dirt even though many of them know more than the academia only book learned teachers. The fact that alt cert teachers CAN connect learning with real life because they have 10-20-30 years in industry goes against the "everything works on paper because it's in the books" academia only teachers.
BS! I worked with alt cert teachers and not one of them could connect with real life, 21st century, urban teenagers, who chewed these teachers up and spit them out after only weeks on the job. One English classroom in my school had a revolving door of 'alt cert' teachers - 5 before the semester break.

A very few stuck it out and learned some classroom management skills, but most stayed in the classroom (for salary and benefits) only until they found a "real" job or reached 65.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Tomorrow, Flip-Flop Romney will say he supports the teachers' unions 100%, and will take credit for the strike.

Possibly the dumbest post on C-D

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
It's true. Not one of their demands has to do with student academics.

It's all about them and their jobs. Stable employment, current healthcare benefits and them not held to student failure accountability.
Yep.

Judging by the responses of the paid DNC posters, looks like it's just more business as usual from the Democrats: support the unions at all costs.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM

90 posts, read 344,446 times
Many (I would say most) of the buildings used for Chi public schools are old, meaning they were built in the days before air conditioning, and the buildings were designed to be reasonably cool and for good airflow in hot weather. Many elementary systems throughout the state do not have AC in their schools (so as not to have to retrofit old buildings) including the district the encompasses the richest section of Naperville IPSD 204: Heat Plan for Non-Air-Conditioned Buildings . CPS fails to mention that weather has been reasonably nice since school went back in (the 100+ degree days here occurred in July & early Aug), and that a HUGE portion of their students don't have AC at home anyway. We live in the suburbs and are I guess now lower middle class, and we don't run our air at all, we can't afford to (not this summer anyway). We & our kids lived.

I find it particularly distasteful that CTU waited until children were in school to raise the actuality of a strike. In the past, strikes have occurred at holiday break times or just before school resumes, allowing parents to find child care or continue their summer/holiday child care plan. This strike was strategically implemented to cause associated parent worker "flu" work stoppages in other industries that the parents work in. A double down.

I did find it sad from a man on the street angle that of all the parents they interviewed on local news, not one of them mentioned anything about their kid missing education time, or falling behind, or that the work would have to be made up. Every single parent interviewed said some version of "Who the heck is going to watch/feed my kid if school is closed?" Sad commentary on our country, that at least in the CPS, we are paying an average wage of $71k to masters-degreed babysitters.

Teacher fail. Parent fail. Public school fail.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Hate to tell you but the US ranked higher in academic subjects years ago when there was no A/C in schools. We are in a slow decline according to international standards and fall lower each year.
Are we seriously debating the need for air conditioning in school classrooms in 2012??

What IS wrong with you people??

Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Are we seriously debating the need for air conditioning in school classrooms in 2012??

What IS wrong with you people??
No I'm not debating it but saying it's necessary for learning is just as bogus.
Having A/C doesn't factor into education levels attained.

It's a nice convenience but is not the cause of falling scores.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
That repetition is called homework which is now frowned upon by schools, parents and students.
Repetition is good, but I am also a believer in "hands on" in the primary grades.
Get back to a more participatory learning environment.

Too often, subject matter is rushed through during the day, only expected to be
compensated for, after the school day is over.
One of the reasons kids graduate with poor reading, writing, and math skills is
because no one is actually watching them do the work.
Too much sitting and watching IMO, on the part of the student, in the class.

With so many school systems going to a longer school year,
I see no reason why "most" of the material can't be done in class.

Do Kids Have Too Much Homework? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine

Why we’re getting the homework question wrong - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

"professors of education at Penn State, found that in countries with the most successful school systems, like Japan, teachers give small amounts homework, while teachers in those with the lowest scores, such as Greece and Iran, give a lot."

Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM

221 posts, read 283,024 times
Quote:
When are the people of this nation going to step up and recognize this?
Don't hold your breath. It is unlikely they will. Too many think their kids are the responsibility of "the village", don't you know that? Some parents even whinge when they have to buy 35.00 in school supplies for kids they chose to bring into this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies