Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times

Advertisements

Knee jerk reaction against assault weapons. Mostly nonesense if anyone is familiar with firearms and actually has done military-tactical training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Knee jerk reaction against assault weapons. Mostly nonesense if anyone is familiar with firearms and actually has done military-tactical training.
Precisely, only since they have absolutely no clue what an "assault weapon" is, they are lashing out at all firearms indiscriminately.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No one needs an assault weapon. An assault weapon's sole purpose is the maximum number of casualties. An assault weapon is what allowed Lanza to riddle those children with as many as 11 bullets in their little bodies. He stopped shooting when the police arrived, but with an assault rifle, he was able to do so much damage in an extremely short period of time. There is no justification for an assault weapon.
I know I am entering this discussion late, and have done so for but one reason, to answer the OPs question.I chose this post reply because its handy, I do have to admit I have not read all the following posts.
I saw a justification for owning a Bushmaster over 30 years ago. At the time I was living aboard my 45 ft. sailboat. Home port was Sarasota, Fl. My reason was quite simple. I wanted a real nasty looking firearm, those earlier Bushmasters were like that, somewhat different than the current AR 15., so I bought one from a friend to carry aboard when in International Waters, off shore, and because of a lot of Pirates at large all over the place. Most were drug issues, some were not. Some were attacking private vessels killing the owners and then using the vessel to run more drugs. I most likely would have been on the losing end in such an encounter, but I did feel a little more secure knowing I had some defense aboard.There was just two of us on board most times when at Sea. The Bushmaster has a lot of velocity, with all the powder and a small 22 gauge calculable projectile. They worked well penetrating most any material including in the way objects like standing rigging , other items also.They were designed for this IE: Bushmaster. The other thing was they are easy to fire, little recoil, and included large clips, I had several along with the hollow point bullets that could open up anything, like a can of peaches or a fiberglass vessel. I practiced a lot with this weapon while at sea, I was prepared, even though I was not a "gun person " or collector.
When I sold the boat after five years living aboard and sailing all over the Gulf, the Islands, along with some very remote places, where 911 would be a joke, Coast Guard not much better. It was my only line of defense in those five years aboard.
When I sold the boat, I sold the Bushmaster back to my friend who, was a collector and was glad I did so.. Thats my story, I am in favor of assault weapon firearm banning, including the ammo.This needs to be done NOW, while the People are Mad as Hell that so much tragic criminal crimes are going on with very little action, mostly because of the NRA. I will go on record that this Political group has been in my sights as a sham " gun Safety group". Nothing Patriotic about killing 20 5-6 year old's. Its sick to the 100th degree and must be stopped NOW. Four time in a row is the limit. No weapon should have the power, in the hands of any disturbed person or peoples to shot a 6 year old Boy, in his class, where he belonged, 11 times with .223 hollow point bullets. This must end, to hell with the NRA in my book !

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I know I am entering this discussion late, and have done so for but one reason, to answer the OPs question.I chose this post reply because its handy, I do have to admit I have not read all the following posts.
I saw a justification for owning a Bushmaster over 30 years ago. At the time I was living aboard my 45 ft. sailboat. Home port was Sarasota, Fl. My reason was quite simple. I wanted a real nasty looking firearm, those earlier Bushmasters were like that, somewhat different than the current AR 15., so I bought one from a friend to carry aboard when in International Waters, off shore, and because of a lot of Pirates at large all over the place. Most were drug issues, some were not. Some were attacking private vessels killing the owners and then using the vessel to run more drugs. I most likely would have been on the losing end in such an encounter, but I did feel a little more secure knowing I had some defense aboard.There was just two of us on board most times when at Sea. The Bushmaster has a lot of velocity, with all the powder and a small 22 gauge calculable projectile. They worked well penetrating most any material including in the way objects like standing rigging , other items also.They were designed for this IE: Bushmaster. The other thing was they are easy to fire, little recoil, and included large clips, I had several along with the hollow point bullets that could open up anything, like a can of peaches or a fiberglass vessel. I practiced a lot with this weapon while at sea, I was prepared, even though I was not a "gun person " or collector.
When I sold the boat after five years living aboard and sailing all over the Gulf, the Islands, along with some very remote places, where 911 would be a joke, Coast Guard not much better. It was my only line of defense in those five years aboard.
When I sold the boat, I sold the Bushmaster back to my friend who, was a collector and was glad I did so.. Thats my story, I am in favor of assault weapon firearm banning, including the ammo.This needs to be done NOW, while the People are Mad as Hell that so much tragic criminal crimes are going on with very little action, mostly because of the NRA. I will go on record that this Political group has been in my sights as a sham " gun Safety group". Nothing Patriotic about killing 20 5-6 year old's. Its sick to the 100th degree and must be stopped NOW. Four time in a row is the limit. No weapon should have the power, in the hands of any disturbed person or peoples to shot a 6 year old Boy, in his class, where he belonged, 11 times with .223 hollow point bullets. This must end, to hell with the NRA in my book !
Yours is a well written and obviously heart felt post. I must disagree with you. At the same moment we lose our right to keep and bear arms, we lose all our freedoms.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I recently bought a .22 semi automatic rifle. It is a rather innocuous looking thing, not frightening at all.
However, the SAME rifle, if purchased with a plastic overlay, looks suspiciously like an AR-15 "assault rifle".
The ONLY difference in the two rifles is the plastic housing.
When I was younger, and hunted every year, my rifle of choice was an auto-loading 30.06. It could be defined as an "assault rifle" (after all, it is operated nearly the same as the M1, M1A, M14, etc.), and it put a LOT of meat in our freezer. As a left hander, it was the easiest rifle for me to operate with accuracy.

By the way, those who don't like the Second Amendment are free to make the attempt to repeal it. Good luck with THAT effort!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I recently bought a .22 semi automatic rifle. It is a rather innocuous looking thing, not frightening at all.
However, the SAME rifle, if purchased with a plastic overlay, looks suspiciously like an AR-15 "assault rifle".
The ONLY difference in the two rifles is the plastic housing.
When I was younger, and hunted every year, my rifle of choice was an auto-loading 30.06. It could be defined as an "assault rifle" (after all, it is operated nearly the same as the M1, M1A, M14, etc.), and it put a LOT of meat in our freezer. As a left hander, it was the easiest rifle for me to operate with accuracy.

By the way, those who don't like the Second Amendment are free to make the attempt to repeal it. Good luck with THAT effort!
I prefer synthetic to wood. Wood stocks look nicer, but are heavier and less practical than synthetic or plastic stocks. An AR-15 chambered for a .308 would be ideal for hunting moose or caribou. For bear, I need something like the AA-12.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM

58 posts, read 126,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Then explain why countries with strict gun control laws have such lower murder rates than the US?
What is your source for that data?

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
If you think being disarmed will make you safe, don't let me stop you from disarming yourself.
But do not presume that disarming the bullies, thugs, and predators will stop them from harming you or yours.
One day, you may face the horrible situation where seconds count, and the police are minutes (or hours) away.
In that situation, you would benefit from having weapons to use in your self-defense, of any type.

And no, you can't sue the police for failure to protect.
Your safety is ultimately your responsibility.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If you think being disarmed will make you safe, don't let me stop you from disarming yourself.
But do not presume that disarming the bullies, thugs, and predators will stop them from harming you or yours.
One day, you may face the horrible situation where seconds count, and the police are minutes (or hours) away.
In that situation, you would benefit from having weapons to use in your self-defense, of any type.

And no, you can't sue the police for failure to protect.
Your safety is ultimately your responsibility.
In Alaska the police could be days away. It is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have it.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
For those in favor of banning so-called "assault rifles", I give you this. As you can clearly see, knives are responsible for more deaths than that which you seek to ban. Does that seem reasonable?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies